Author Topic: Phantasy Star IV  (Read 2057 times)

Phantasy Star IV
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:33:02 pm »
For a few years now I have heard really good things about this game, however have never played any of the series aside from PSO on the Dreamcast and Gamecube. Is it really as good as I have heard? Is there a specific version that is better then another? I see it in the Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection and I see it also on the Wii eshop. Are they identical?

Another thing, as I have never played the series, is it a better idea to start with the first? Does the story connect across the four games? I have heard mixed things about Phantasy Star III, is it as bad as people have said?

Sorry if these are silly questions, haven't played an RPG in a little bit, and I thought I would play one, (or a series), while I play Wind Waker and the other Zeldas.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:57:05 pm by denniedarko »

soera

Re: Phantasy Star IV
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:07:47 pm »
Play Phantasy star 1. Its the best one in the series. All the ones in the wii shop and genesis collections are the same. If you have a choice, pick up the genesis collection on the PS3. Golden axe warrior and Phantasy star 1 are easy to unlock. That gives you all 4 of the PS games. Golden axe warrior is awesome too. Much better than Legend of Zelda itself.

PSO sucks. It is absolutely nothing like the actual Phantasy star series.

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:21:15 pm »
I've played a bit of Phantasy Star collection on GBA, and it's definitely an entirely different game from PSO.  I played PSO a bit on the Gamecube and quite a bit on the DS (Phantasy Star Zero), and I liked them, but they're definitely a different type of RPG.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:06:55 pm »
I know the first 4 Phantasy Stars are more traditional in terms of an RPG, I am just not sure if I should play all 4 or focus on just 1 in particular. I don't think the first is on the eshop, is it?

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:47:59 pm »
I know the first 4 Phantasy Stars are more traditional in terms of an RPG, I am just not sure if I should play all 4 or focus on just 1 in particular. I don't think the first is on the eshop, is it?

Yeah, sadly the first Phantasy Star did not get as many ports. It's not available on Steam either. I'm guessing it has to do with whatever emulation technology they license. Most ports found of SMS games tend to be the arcade (shinobi). Although that is all conjecture.

Genesis Ultimate collection is the way to go. No doubt.

I'd say start with 1 or 4. Take your pick. It is best to play all games. But not necessary. Phantasy Star 1 feels kind of like pokemon (bear with me). And 4 is more like Chrono Trigger. Now don't get me wrong, your not capturing monsters. But Phantasy Star 1 is an 8-bit RPG that seems above all other 8-bit RPGs in terms of polish and complexity. The above may only make sense in my head... I don't know.

But I would say, if you like your RPGs like Pokemon, or the Mother series (NES/SNES) PS 1 might be a good starting point.

If you like Chrono Trigger or FF3 style best, go with PS4.

Realistically, most people won't get through all 4. So, it would be tough for me to say start at 1 if the payoff would be 4.

I personally prefer 1. But the other RPGs I love most are Earthbound 0/Mother and Pokemon Blue/Red. Take that for what it's worth.

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 10:10:36 pm »
How is the story across all the games? Pretty decent? I will pick up the Sonic Ultimate Collection for the 360, (don't have a PS3).

sin2beta

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 11:01:56 pm »
How is the story across all the games? Pretty decent? I will pick up the Sonic Ultimate Collection for the 360, (don't have a PS3).

It has a nice story. PS1 is different from Final Fantasy 1 in that it actually has a story... Well, sure Final Fantasy has a "story" but it certainly does not have a narrative. Phantasy Star does. The second one is kind of weird in terms of story. The third is slow but has a decent payoff. 4 is beyond solid. Arguably the best.

I remember PS1 the most though... Despite it's lack of story telling devices compared to the others. The characters stick with me more. I remember the search for Odin being absolutely epic. I think this is achieved by the fact that this game does not guide you at all.

Alis Landale is one of my favorite video game characters of all time (second only to Arsha+Peperogu).

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 03:39:54 am »
I did a post on this not too long ago.  I began playing the first Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System and it was great!!  My only downfall is it can take forever getting lost in the dungeons, the very last dungeon is so hard and long, and then you fight a boss, then I can't don't want to ruin the rest but basically I have not played this for 2 weeks because the end is so freaking hard!!   >:(  But other than that, great game for the Master System!

desocietas

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:11:25 am »
I did a post on this not too long ago.  I began playing the first Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System and it was great!!  My only downfall is it can take forever getting lost in the dungeons, the very last dungeon is so hard and long, and then you fight a boss, then I can't don't want to ruin the rest but basically I have not played this for 2 weeks because the end is so freaking hard!!   >:(  But other than that, great game for the Master System!

Yeah, I felt bad that I didn't get around to playing PS1 for the VGConnect group... Wasn't that supposed to be September's game?  Or was it postponed?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 05:40:17 pm »
These games were so damn good.  I remember trying to hunt down IV as a kid on launch day, took me hours of calling places.  Finally found a copy and at $110 it cost me 2 months of paper route money.  Awesome story, excellent bad guys, amazing music... I think it's time to play it again.  Genesis collection is my favorite PS3 game(s)!

foxhack

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 11:35:59 pm »
Phantasy Star 1 is cool, but hard.

Phantasy Star 4 is the best one and has a moderate difficulty.

I didn't get very far on 2 thanks to the idiotic seizure-inducing fights. Someone attacks, the screen flashes three times. Every time. And 3... well... I don't remember much about it.

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 12:06:31 am »
Genesis collection is my favorite PS3 game(s)!

I know, it is probably one of my favorite 360 games.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 11:43:42 am »
Well I ordered the 360 Ultimate Genesis Collection a few days ago from Amazon, (and it still hasn't shipped, now I remember why I stopped using them), really looking forward to playing these games, heard good things about the Shining Force games as well. I saw you have to unlock Phantasy Star 1, is this difficult to do?

soera

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 12:27:59 pm »
Nah, neither PS1 or Golden axe warrior are hard to unlock. If I remember right, PS1 requires beating the first level of Sonic with 2 players and GAW has you getting a certain amount of points on some weird FPS hybrid.

sin2beta

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 03:49:59 am »
Nah, neither PS1 or Golden axe warrior are hard to unlock. If I remember right, PS1 requires beating the first level of Sonic with 2 players and GAW has you getting a certain amount of points on some weird FPS hybrid.

Yeah, I did the sonic 2 achievement by myself even. I just turned on the second controller for Tails and played as usual. Viola! Unlocked.

GAW could possibly be tricky. That might be the Thunderblade one. I still haven't done it. But I hate Thunder Blade.