Author Topic: Most wanted list?  (Read 4907 times)

Most wanted list?
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:12:26 pm »
One thing I'm sure I'm not alone in is that my wishlist has gotten pretty huge over time. So much so that I've found myself needing to keep a list of Most Wanted games, to keep them on my immediate radar and try to focus on those rather than getting distracted by sales and what's easily available new.

What about having a sort of sub-list option for us to keep track of the games in our wishlist that we want to prioritize above all others? Something where we can isolate those titles away from the main wishlist without outright removing them from it.

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Most wanted list?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:01:04 pm »
Or maybe a way to designate the top 10 so they show up first in the wish list?

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:09:18 am »
Yeah, I think a way of denoting preference on the wish list is a good solution....  Maybe like a ranking system?  Like 5 stars would be games you want the most or something like that....

soera

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:58:29 am »
I do it myself personally. I edit my wishlist all the time to just show only a handful of items that are the most wanted for me.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 02:04:51 pm »
Um, Microsoft Word or Open Office?

Wishlists in general get too long for Word or OO to be practical. But a top 10 wishlist? That's easy.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 07:06:34 pm »
I think the point at hand here being discussed is more in reference to the fact that the wishlist feature on the site can get unwieldly for some....  I, for example, am looking for about 300 games or something probably, but there are about twenty that I REALLY want and take special care to scout for....  I think this was what OP was trying to reference....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 10:06:58 pm by teck »

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 03:50:13 am »
Yep, teck has the right of it. I use my overall wishlist just to keep it all straight, since it's easy to lose stuff (esp. imports) in the shuffle. I've done the spreadsheet thing, but I find I tend to lose track of those, or they just become excessive databases. When your list is a mash-up of domestic and import games across many different consoles though, it's easy to get distracted away from the stuff you'd like to push forward on the priority list.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 01:42:52 pm »
I think the point at hand here being discussed is more in reference to the fact that the wishlist feature on the site can get unwieldly for some....  I, for example, am looking for about 300 games or something probablt, but there are about twenty that I REALLY want and take special care to scout for....  I think this was what OP was trying to reference....

Oh yeah, I get that. That's why I said use the site for the unweildy 300 games list. And Microsoft Word for the small list of 20 most wanted games.

I don't know how hard it would be to add this option. But I'd imagine making a top 20 list on Microsoft Word that takes a minute and a half is a lot easier than adding a bunch of programming code to the website.

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 10:06:37 pm »
I think the point at hand here being discussed is more in reference to the fact that the wishlist feature on the site can get unwieldly for some....  I, for example, am looking for about 300 games or something probably, but there are about twenty that I REALLY want and take special care to scout for....  I think this was what OP was trying to reference....

Oh yeah, I get that. That's why I said use the site for the unweildy 300 games list. And Microsoft Word for the small list of 20 most wanted games.

I don't know how hard it would be to add this option. But I'd imagine making a top 20 list on Microsoft Word that takes a minute and a half is a lot easier than adding a bunch of programming code to the website.

I pull the site up on my phone on the go a lot, as I'm sure others do as well....  I don't believe I have very much compatibility with .rtf files and the like....  I feel like promoting the site would be vastly easier with the more integrated support for specific collector features that are niche like this....  I mean, that's kind of the market that vgcollect natively appeals to anyways....  I dunno....  Regardless of how much use it gets, I can understand the demand for it even if I personally wouldn't use it....  Though, admittedly, I'd probably try it out....

haloofthesun

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 11:57:45 pm »
I actually use backloggery as my main wishlist and the wishlist here as my most wanted stuff (though there isn't anything on it right now). It isn't much of a solution to tell people to go to another website to make a separate wishlist, but for me personally, it works just fine. I especially like the "fortune cookie" feature which selects a game at random for me to buy.

Some sort of rating system could work for here though. Just like a box to tick that marks it as most wanted would be simple and efficient enough.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 02:17:49 pm »
Off-hand, I've tried 1UP, GameSpot, Backloggery, Listal, IGN, VGRebirth, Gametz, and spreadsheets for keeping track of everything... so far, apart from the occasional feature like this that I'd like to see, VGC has been by far the best of the lot.

I do still keep spreadsheets for keeping track of port differences and stuff, but those are still a bit of a mess. I have a habit of creating files, losing track of them, and creating new ones, only to wind up with like 6 different versions of things. One of these days, I need to sift through it all...

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 05:03:43 am »
I'm really meticulous about organizing and stylizing spreadsheets....  I have 3 separate multi-page spreadsheets for my comic book collecting alone, and managing that has proven to be an incredible time drain....  I don't think I could handle doing the same for video games to be honest....  I've never tried any of the other resources listed here though....  Backloggery seems to be a popular one however....

matt

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 12:15:08 pm »
It is possible that simply adding a priority to each Wish List item could solve this. It would have a default value so it'd be entirely optional. Thoughts?

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 03:45:41 pm »
I rather like that idea. Would there be a simple way to resort the list so that the priority items could optionally be displayed at the top of the wishlist?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 03:49:42 pm »
I rather like that idea. Would there be a simple way to resort the list so that the priority items could optionally be displayed at the top of the wishlist?

That sounds cool. Amazon's wishlist has a priority setting where you can set your items as highest, high, medium, and low priorities. And there's an option to sort your list by priority, if you want to.