Author Topic: My 8-Bits on Gaming Consoles: The Magnavox Odyssey  (Read 4545 times)

theflea

My 8-Bits on Gaming Consoles: The Magnavox Odyssey
« on: March 30, 2014, 03:07:42 am »
This will be a forum series where I'll talk about the history and my experience with the gaming consoles I own and I figured why not start with the first gaming console that was ever released.

The Magnavox Odyssey

This will be my 8-bits (instead of my 2-cents)  :P

History:
In the late 60's a man named Ralph Baer created something that was like nothing on the market, a box that you can hook up to a TV and play as a game. He called it “The Brown Box”. He tried to sell his prototype to many electronic companies and everyone turned him away til Magnavox saw it and took his idea and made what we know as the Odyssey in 1972.
Not only was this the First console but the first to use a Light Gun and changeable games (sort off).

How did it do?
Not well,  people where mislead by their ads that the system could only be used on Mangavox TVs because in every ad it was used on a Magnavox television. Guess people of the 70s where not to bright. (lol)  The system was discontinued by 1975 due to horrible sales and the Pong revolution. Only 300,000+ where sold.

Graphics:
Well it's pretty much a light square on the screen and you place a light plastic overlay over the TV screen to get graphics. There's no score, no boundaries and players pretty much could move where ever they want. The games are simple cards that tell the console how the lights should react. Most all the games require a second player, the only one you can solo on is the Light Gun games.  (soft off)  :P

Is this system still fun to play?
Not really, other then good laugh on how simple and primitive the games are the System is more of a novelty then anything else. Mostly you're showing someone how simple the first gaming console was.
The system has the weirdest controllers, its basically a box with three knobs and a reset button.

What games are worth playing?
Um... The Light Gun games and messing around with a friend is fun, but nothing stands out as a must play on the Odyssey.

How many versions are there?
Two main ones, Run 1 and Run 2. There is other models made over seas and even fake versions made out of the US. But we'll stick with the main two. The Run 1 and Run 2 models do have different versions mainly from the parts inside. (this is why some collectors look for certain serial numbers) But for Most collector's they mainly want a Run 1 model. How can you tell the difference?
Run 1 has a sticker on the bottom that says “run 1” and they don't have the Magnavox logo on the front of the console. Run 1's are the most sought after by collector's and usually fetch a higher price.
Run 2 has a “Run 2” sticker on the bottom and most (not all of them) have the Magnavox logo on the front of the console.

What do I need to know if I start collecting this system?
Well first that there's two main versions of this console, known as Run 1 and Run 2, and again Run 1's carry a higher price then Run 2 models. Many of these systems yellow with age and most have issues working. Make sure to check the battery compartment, one to see if there's any corrosion. This system was mainly powered by batteries and people leave them in the console. Also I find many of the buttons that hold the cover shut break off easy. But the biggest problem is finding a complete system. There's a ton of extra's that come with this console. The Overlays, 6 game cards, several decks of cards, a pair of dice, a cardboard football/roulette board, a score board, stickers, poker chips to name a few. The system didn't come with an AC Adapter instead it came with Batteries. Good luck finding the original batteries sill intact. (lol) You can buy an Adapter to use on it. Also the system requires a RF Box that was only used with older Odyssey consoles. If this is missing you wont be able to hook the system up to a TV. A complete System can run well over $200 if not more. Games for this system can be really hard to find complete especially the Light Gun. While you might get lucky and find one in the wild, the best bet is unfortunately Ebay.

My Experience with the Console
I didn't get an original Odyssey til about five years ago. My first was a Run 2 model and it was near complete. Then I got a Run 1 model a year later and it was missing the overlays and a few other pieces but between the two I have a complete set. I have hooked up the Odyssey to my HDTV with no problems (other this a slightly fuzzy screen and the overlays wont stay up) It's Weird, this is the only console I know off that when you put a game in the system it automaticly turns on. There is no power switch of any kind on the console. I honestly had fun messing around with it with other people who love classic video games, you can cheat by messing with one of the knobs on the controller and this gets some laughs. I tried playing with a casual gamer and they didn't get the charm and thought it was stupid. (lol) It's definitely a collector's piece and only collector's get any fun from it.
Then I got a Light Gun, I was surprised to see that the first light gun will work on an HDTV. But it will also react to any light source. (lol)  Its also kinda cool that you have to cock the gun like a real shotgun between shots. It's fun to show people the first game console and I love owning it but it's not something I play often.

Final Thoughts
This is a console for the collector who loves gaming history, someone who wants to experience what the first primitive games where like. This isn't for everyone just those who want to own a piece of gaming history.  8)

Let me know what you think, should I continue with more reviews and what console would you like me to do next? I may pick one you guys pick or I might just do it in a somewhat order of how they came out. I don't know yet how often I'll have the time to write one of these but I'll have one up as often as I can.   :D

Also do/did you own an Odyssey? If so reply with your experience with it. If not would you like to own one? ;D

by the numbers: 11 people own a Run 1 model and only 3 own a Run 2 on VGcollect.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:04:28 am by theflea »
"Happy game hunting!!!"

luckydoodles

Re: My 8-Bits on Gaming Consoles: The Magnavox Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 03:57:22 am »
May be off topic, but I love the shelves you have, are they IKEA?

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 04:53:55 am »
Looks like these shelves

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/151028688743?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

OT
Nice story about the Magnavox. Are you into pong machine's?

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:25:25 am »
Let me know what you think, should I continue with more reviews and what console would you like me to do next? I may pick one you guys pick or I might just do it in a somewhat order of how they came out. I don't know yet how often I'll have the time to write one of these but I'll have one up as often as I can.   :D

Also do/did you own an Odyssey? If so reply with your experience with it. If not would you like to own one? ;D

Nice post, waiting for more :)

I have an Odyssey Run 1 and five games. I'd like to have more, but it is hard to get that console and games/accessories in Europe :(

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 01:04:53 pm »
Awesome topic. Keep it up. I like the idea of covering of covering stuff we might be aware of but don't know much about. You'd probably skip the NES, SNES, and 2600; but go into some detail on the Jaguar, 3DO, Turbo Grafix.

Just some thoughts. I loved this. Keep it up.

pacpix

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 01:18:04 pm »
Great post, I would love to read more if you decide to continue doing these.  I also agree with Turf, focusing on more obscure/less popular systems would be more interesting than telling us everything we already know about the NES.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 03:38:22 pm »
Very cool. Nice write-up.

Anyone interested in this kind of stuff should REALLY pick up the following book:

It's huge, informative, has lots of pictures and diagrams to accompany the text, and interviews directly with the producers and programmers of games and consoles. And it covers all the way from the first pre-Pinball tables up through the XBox/PS2/GameCube era (including PCs and pre-PC home computers).

Unfortunately I do have one major complaint about the book, and it's the bounding. My copy is literally falling apart because it's a huge heavy book with full glossy pages, but only bound with glue. But it's worth it for the read-through.

IMO, it's better than the highly-praised "Ultimate History of Gaming" due to the addition of the great pics, game covers, screenshots, and diagrams.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:40:28 pm by burningdoom »

bobster

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 10:40:23 am »
Nice write up! I really enjoy reading stuff like this. Keep it up!

I see a couple Odyssey 2's in my area, but they're more than I'm willing to spend for something I'd mostly just show off and never really play.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

theflea

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 05:57:33 am »
Thanks for all the good feedback.

The shelves I bought from a best buy some years ago, they don't carry them anymore.

I'm thinking of doing the consoles in a somewhat order on how they where released. (may not be exact)
Will I skip the common systems? no because if I'm going to do this then I'd like cover every console plus you might learn something on a variation of the system. The only systems I'll skip are the few consoles I haven't added in my collection yet.

"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 04:40:20 pm »
theflea, very cool post, I look forward to more of these.

It's not too often we get to see lots of these older systems. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the Bally Astrocade and the Fairchild.

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 08:02:12 pm »
The only systems I'll skip are the few consoles I haven't added in my collection yet.

Well then, someone needs to buy an AdventureVision REAL fast.  :P

I like the series a lot. I'm a sucker for stuff like this.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

theflea

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 05:09:45 am »
trust me I want an AdventureVision real bad, But every time I see one it goes for way more then I want to spend. But If I ever do get my hands on one i'll add it to my review list.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 01:52:29 am »
trust me I want an AdventureVision real bad, But every time I see one it goes for way more then I want to spend. But If I ever do get my hands on one i'll add it to my review list.

Wow... I'm a huge nut for 80's games, but somehow I've never even heard of the Adventure Vision until now. Pretty cool! I'm guessing they're beyond rare and insanely expensive? ;)