Author Topic: How many of you went and sold all your games back in the day?  (Read 4566 times)

Warmsignal

I never did this. I've never sold any of my belongings, much less my games from my childhood. I've got the hoarder gene in me, I held on to them. Of course I didn't have a ton of games before. So since I started hoarding/collecting/whatever, I've always been driven by the desire to get things that I've never had.

In my personal opinion, once you're a seller, you're always a seller. Those who sold their games then bought them back, they'll sell them off again. Probably regret it again.

Mine aren't going anywhere. If I ever need or want to get rid of them, it'll probably be when I give them all to a nephew or niece, or if I ever have kids of my own. I'll give them to someone who'll appreciate them as much as I do, and who I trust won't just sell them off for a quick buck. I don't think any realistic amount of money could ever convince me to part with them.  ;)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: How many of you went and sold all your games back in the day?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:09:59 pm »
I totally did. You did what you had to to play the games you wanted to play when you were to young to have an income. Mowing lawns in the neighborhood for money helped, but it just wasn't enough always.

I don't now unless it's something I just don't like.

scott

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:13:35 pm »
I've sold off my original NES and Saturn collections. I've traded in a bunch of PS2/Xbox/DVDs that I thought I didn't care about. I've pretty much replaced most of the PS2/Xbox games. But there's still some I'm missing, same goes for my NES games.

I've sworn off selling anything now. But still sometimes I debate on it, especially if I'm against the Bills brick wall. :\
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 04:22:22 pm »
I didn't get rid of everything, like I still kept my Nintendo 64 and boxed versions of the Zeldas and a couple other games, but I had sold off my NES, SNES, and Genesis stuff and I've done a lot of game trading with games in recent years.  It wasn't till the past year or two that I've sworn off really selling off stuff unless it was stuff I got cheap to put towards other games like I just recently got 28 Dreamcast games for really cheap and am trying to sell them right now.

Still regret selling off a lot of the games I had and not having my Ninja Turtles toys any longer other than one toy I still have which is missing all the parts for it lol

argyle

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 04:28:44 pm »
I'm pretty much like Scott, I sold off my older systems/games and I got rid of a lot of PS1/PS2 stuff I didn't think I'd miss.  Honestly, there isn't much from the old stuff I regret, because I'm just not much of an old-school collector.  Granted, I'd love to have some of those boxed NES games I owned as a kid for the games I really loved - Castlevania, Gun Smoke, Metroid, maybe a couple more.  That said, I'm not really looking to pick them back up because they wouldn't be "mine" anyway, if that makes any sense. 

I've really regretted most of the PS2 stuff I got rid of and a lot of the PS1 stuff.  I've gotten back most of my PS2 games now, only missing a few.  That's why I've been scrounging to fill in my PS3 collection while it's still easy to do, don't want to have the same regrets.

That said - I will buy, beat and trade a game in a heartbeat with the intention of buying it back when it gets dirt cheap, as long as it's a mainstream game that I know will be easy to find again.  Usually with the deals I end up getting on the front end I either break even doing this or sometimes even come out ahead.  I won't do it for more obscure titles, JRPGs (non-FF ones anyway), etc.  But I gotta do what I gotta do sometimes. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

anruiukimi

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 04:36:37 pm »
My mother made the arbitrary decision that my brother and I weren't playing some of our NES games anymore, and made us pick some to sell. This would have been 98?-99? 2000 at the latest. Probably lost 20 CIB games that day, but luckily, I've been able to replace most of the ones I cared about (and my parents like RPGs, so they all survived.) I think I'm just missing Adventures in the Magic Kingdom and Gauntlet II now (we sold our Four Score too.)

Besides that, no sales, although we've had several games go missing in the last 10 years. The main missing game was Legend of Zelda: LttP, and the replacement I bought a few years ago has an ugly box and bits. So sad. I really hope we find our original one...

scott

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 05:11:47 pm »
Still regret selling off a lot of the games I had and not having my Ninja Turtles toys any longer other than one toy I still have which is missing all the parts for it lol

I still have all my TMNT figures. Even have the party wagon sitting on top of my entertainment center. But I did the same thing with my He-Man guys, though I kept Orco.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 05:32:49 pm »

I still have all my TMNT figures. Even have the party wagon sitting on top of my entertainment center. But I did the same thing with my He-Man guys, though I kept Orco.

I was very tempted a few weekends ago by some guy selling like 200 bucks worth of figures at the Flea Market, accessories and some vehicles, but I didn't have the money even if I wanted to buy them lol

argyle

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 05:52:56 pm »
I wish I had kept some of my He-Man figures, but I didn't.  My mom did keep all of my GI Joes, but I don't really have any attachment to those (looking back I think I got into them more because "that's what all the other boys were playing with" than anything else, I was the only kid into He-Man and I finally caved).  Matter of fact, I'm currently selling the majority of my GI Joe collection on ebay and don't feel bad about it at all.  I'm keeping one figure - the computer guy, because i'm in IT and he's also probably the only one I can actually remember when & where I bought him. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 06:53:58 pm »
When I was younger I had to sell some of my games in order to afford new ones I wanted, it was just the way things worked. Aside from Birthdays and XMAS, my parents never bought me games or consoles, so I had to work for it and sometimes that wasn't enough. Now that I have a career I make enough to where I don't have to sell games to afford new ones, which is nice. I also have enough to collect which I have been doing for a while now. I honestly didn't want to sell my stuff back in the day, but it was either that or not get what I wanted at all.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 07:01:16 pm »
I traded in about 20 xbox 360 games when I got my PS3 years ago, but most of them were shit games I didn't play anymore. I was more of a rental kid back in the day, so I never really had many games that were actually mine (I probably had 10 to 15 games on PS2 growing up), but I do still have both of the games my parents got me alongside my PS2 for Christmas in 2001 (Fifa 2002 and 007 Agent Under Fire) those are sentimental to me still. All of the SNES games I had growing up are now at my brother's house and I've since gone and added most of those to my current personal collection. I really never liked selling or trading in games and unless it's a dupe or something that I really hate I probably never will now.

One thing I've come to learn about myself is that I am EXTREMELY nostalgic and sentimental when it comes to video games. I don't like giving 'em up. Even all my Madden's.

sin2beta

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:01:36 pm »
I sold virtually all my stuff at one point. I was probably around 17. I wasn't having fun with Nintendo. The Dreamcast just died and I felt kinda burnt. I was also more interested in friends, girls, and gearing up for college. I kept a few things. My childhood SNES is still at my patents house with 10 or so games. My sister and I still play Top Gear and Mario Paint on holidays. I kept some Dreamcast games (I don't know what happened to the system. I don't remember selling it. And keeping games does not make sense. Probably got lost in the move). Other than that it's all replacement stuff.

I had a big NES collection. It was the only system I actively collected for. I had well over 100 games. Not a huge collection but not small. This was done in the late 90s when the gettin' was good. The sellin' was not good though...

I'd probably sell again. Not Sega. I've done so much writing for sites and interacting with people online that it means a lot to me. I toy around with selling XBox stuff. I really enjoy it. But, I don't know how collector friendly the XBox One will be. The completionist in me hates that. I could see starting a 3DO collection. Experimenting with that and then selling it once I got bored. There is some fun in collecting and searching, and in essence trowing it back.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

hexen

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 09:15:29 pm »
When I was a kid, I thought my SNES was broken (it was actually just the cord). So, me and my brother went out and sold all our games to buy an N64... I've since re-gotten almost everything I originally owned (bar a few things like Super Tennis), but I still really wish I hadn't. We had all the SNES classics...
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

soera

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 10:46:10 pm »
Ive never sold off a collection but am on my 3rd one now. When I joined the Navy in 93, my mom tossed all my stuff I had to get me to "grow up". All my NWC stuff and retro magazines are gone forever. My second loss come when I was living with my ex Cassie. We had a weird relationship as it was (worked at the same place, she moved in with me the day we started hanging out, etc). Well, I got an Xbox and Morrowind and started playing it ... it got pretty addictive to the point where the only time I paid her any attention was at work. When we were at home, I was kicking ass on the game. One day (after a huge fight about the game and my lack of wanting kids/dogs) I went to work. When I got home, she moved all her stuff out of the apartment and sold off my entire game collection. She left me a note and $40 for the collection she sold. Was furious. As I mentioned in another post before, Ive pretty much replaced everything but my Saturn and Magic knight Rayearth. I also never replaced my CIB Valkyrie profile w/strat guide but I wasnt too happy with that game anyhow.

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 11:02:00 pm »
Ive never sold off a collection but am on my 3rd one now. When I joined the Navy in 93, my mom tossed all my stuff I had to get me to "grow up". All my NWC stuff and retro magazines are gone forever. My second loss come when I was living with my ex Cassie. We had a weird relationship as it was (worked at the same place, she moved in with me the day we started hanging out, etc). Well, I got an Xbox and Morrowind and started playing it ... it got pretty addictive to the point where the only time I paid her any attention was at work. When we were at home, I was kicking ass on the game. One day (after a huge fight about the game and my lack of wanting kids/dogs) I went to work. When I got home, she moved all her stuff out of the apartment and sold off my entire game collection. She left me a note and $40 for the collection she sold. Was furious. As I mentioned in another post before, Ive pretty much replaced everything but my Saturn and Magic knight Rayearth. I also never replaced my CIB Valkyrie profile w/strat guide but I wasnt too happy with that game anyhow.

How many games or consoles was sold for that $40???