Author Topic: What's the oldest CRT television that you own and game on?  (Read 8370 times)

thecrypticodor

What's the oldest CRT television that you own and game on?
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:22:58 pm »
Lets see if any of you can beat my 1982 Sony Trinitron KV-1913. It's RF only so I currently only use it for second and third gen gaming. Got it a few weeks back for $5 at a Goodwill since it's tag color was half off. :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What's the oldest CRT television that you own and game on?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:40:53 pm »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:55:10 am »
By age, I definitely cannot beat anyone's.  I have an old Sony TV in my room that I plugged the SNES on.  Unfortunately, I will not take pictures of it because my room is full of clutter.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

theflea

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 04:18:51 am »
Oldest TV i own is a small B&W 10" form the 70's, it's only used for a couple older game consoles that have issues running on newer TV's. It's in storage in my basement and I really don't wanna dig it out atm to take pic's lol

I remember being at a garage sale and some lady had a huge TV that was in cased in carved wood and had a screen that was maybe 10-15" looked like it was from the early 60's (maybe 50s) and it worked in beautiful B&W and she just wanted to get rid of it and offered it to me for free. But I really couldn't figure a place to put it so I passed. lol   
"Happy game hunting!!!"

thecrypticodor

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 05:42:37 am »
Oldest TV i own is a small B&W 10" form the 70's, it's only used for a couple older game consoles that have issues running on newer TV's. It's in storage in my basement and I really don't wanna dig it out atm to take pic's lol
Yeah people you don't have to post pictures you can just post the model number. Or just Google search the model number and post a stock photo.

I remember being at a garage sale and some lady had a huge TV that was in cased in carved wood and had a screen that was maybe 10-15" looked like it was from the early 60's (maybe 50s) and it worked in beautiful B&W and she just wanted to get rid of it and offered it to me for free. But I really couldn't figure a place to put it so I passed. lol
The chances of a pre 70's tv working correctly or at all aren't very good. Even if it was still brand new and was never used all of those ancient wax paper capacitors would have dried up and failed by now. TV's from the 60's 50's and older usually have to be completely restored just for them to produce high voltage and display a raster.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:54:19 am by thecrypticodor »

theflea

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 06:42:27 am »
You might be right, hell i'm no expert of old TV's lol
Could have been updated at some point with newer parts for all I know. I didn't take it home so I can't go look it up. lol
Damn thing looked like an antique is all I know.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

soera

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 08:55:09 am »
I only have 3 TVs with game systems attached. My flat screen in my living room is for current gen gaming. I have a 2008 45 inch or so that my kids use in their bedroom for their systems. My game room has http://vgcollect.com/item/54562

rachel

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:57:53 am »
I have two oldie Commodore 1702 monitors, and I absolutely love them for 8- to 32-bit consoles. Their built-in speakers make C64 and NES audio sound great.

argyle

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 09:47:04 am »
I picked up a CRT last year at a thrift store for my old consoles but it's nowhere near that old - probably early to mid 90's.  There's just nothing like playing non-hd games on a CRT like they were meant to be played, really helps you to appreciate them more. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

thecrypticodor

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:49:17 am »
I have two oldie Commodore 1702 monitors, and I absolutely love them for 8- to 32-bit consoles. Their built-in speakers make C64 and NES audio sound great.
Yeah I've been toying around with the ideal of getting a Commodore 1702 monitor for some time now. Haven't had much luck finding one locally. I'm sure I could find one on ebay but to ship a CRT monitor would cost a fortune. Those things are pretty sweet though so I may just break down and do it one day.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:00:48 am »
My parents have one from around 1999 that they still use as their primary TV lol. I have a zenith that I play all my older consoles on. I'm not really sure how old it is, I got it from my job for like 5 bucks after they upgraded the TV in the breakroom to HD a few years ago, its probably like early 00s but I don't really know. The oldest TV I remember having was from probably around 1988 or so, I wasn't alive when we first got it, but it was the TV in us kids' room when I was growing up. It was the kind you literally had to bang on the side to get the picture to work lol. Played so many SNES games on that bad boy. I miss that TV.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:05:53 am by Bwigdahl »

90snostalga

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:15:58 am »
The oldest tv I own is a RCA black/white tv that is 5" from 1982.  I got it for 3 bucks.  I planned on using it for Commodore 64 games but I still dont have a Commodore yet.

As far as in use, all of my older games are used on a 20" standard flat screen tv from probably 2003.  Now this may be stupid question so forgive my ignorance in advance, does CRT mean "tubed" tvs?  Mine is a flat and I was wondering should I search for an older tubed tv meaning non flat screen for my older game systems?

thecrypticodor

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:35:59 am »
Now this may be stupid question so forgive my ignorance in advance, does CRT mean "tubed" tvs?  Mine is a flat and I was wondering should I search for an older tubed tv meaning non flat screen for my older game systems?
CRT means cathode ray tube and yes they are the huge tube tv's. Most CRT screens are curved but some of the newer ones also have flat screens.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:37:40 am by thecrypticodor »

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 10:36:53 am »
Now this may be stupid question so forgive my ignorance in advance, does CRT mean "tubed" tvs?  Mine is a flat and I was wondering should I search for an older tubed tv meaning non flat screen for my older game systems?
CRT means cathode ray tube and yes they are the huge tube tv's. Most crt screens are curved but some of the newer ones also have flat screens.

Thanks.  Mine is flat but is there a way for me to verify that its a CRT?

scott

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 10:38:58 am »
I still have my old 13" Samsung tv from when I was a kid. It's been hooked up to every game system I owned up to the PS2 (running through a VCR). It's currently in storage at my sister's house, but hopefully I can pick it up soon.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread