Author Topic: Let's talk about...  (Read 2543 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Let's talk about...
« on: April 24, 2014, 11:34:21 am »
...music in video games  ;D

How important is it to your enjoyment of a game -and- let's go with your top 3 "sounds"/(instruments) in an OST.

For me:

# 1 Violin (strings),

# 2 Piano (keys), and

# 3 Flute (woodwinds)

Just missing my top 3 list would be (acoustic) guitar.

However...ANY one (or any combination of) my top 3 can go a long ways toward setting my mood, the tone of the game, & my immersion in it.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

bobster

Re: Let's talk about...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 11:40:33 am »
...music in video games  ;D

How important is it to your enjoyment of a game -and- let's go with your top 3 "sounds"/(instruments) in an OST.

For me:

# 1 Violin (strings),

# 2 Piano (keys), and

# 3 Flute (woodwinds)

Just missing my top 3 list would be (acoustic) guitar.

However...ANY one (or any combination of) my top 3 can go a long ways toward setting my mood, the tone of the game, & my immersion in it.
I've got nothing to contribute other than the Bravely Default soundtrack is SO good! So good you guys.

Just listen to this boss battle music:

*drools*
Currently Playing: The Witcher

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:49:40 am »
Heh; was just listening to my Bravely Default CD while I was driving around/shopping...

bobster

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:10 am »
Heh; was just listening to my Bravely Default CD while I was driving around/shopping...
Would you say it's.... SO good?

argyle

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 11:53:34 am »
This is funny, I've been meaning to start a game soundtrack thread all this week & just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Great minds... ;)

Not sure that I could say what my favorite instrument/sound is because it really depends on the game, my mood, etc.  I can name some of my favorite soundtracks tho and why I feel that way.

My all-time favorites are probably Jet Set Radio / Jet Set Radio Future.  I keep them in constant rotation on my mp3 player and they not only work great in the game but are also fantastic for listening to in the car.  This is not true for all soundtracks.

For example, what I've heard of the Nier soundtrack on its own is excellent, but I had to turn the music off in-game - that overworld music with the really short voice clip that loops WAY too much was maddening. 

A recent game soundtrack that I've fallen in love with is the FFXIV soundtrack.  I love the music in that game, it's all so gorgeous.  It is very pleasant to listen to but is also non-intrusive enough to stand up to looping. 

A few other games off the top of my head whose soundtracks have always stood out to me are Final Fantasy VIII, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, Billy Hatcher (one of the happiest soundtracks in existence - I dare anyone to listen to G.I.A.N.T. E.G.G. without a huge grin on their face!), Maken X, Castlevania: SotN, Super Metroid (some of the best atmospheric music in any game), Phantasy Star Online, Metal Gear Rising (talk about a soundtrack that perfectly fits the game!) and the PSOne Spyro trilogy. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:57:47 am »

Honestly (based on the ten tracks that I've heard on the CD)...I'd say it's about - a 7/10 or so (compared to my favorite (full) OST's of all time).

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:59 pm »
For me I don't really care about what instrument (or synthed instrument) is being played. I'm more interested in the composition of the piece. 

bobster

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 12:08:09 pm »

Honestly (based on the ten tracks that I've heard on the CD)...I'd say it's about - a 7/10 or so (compared to my favorite (full) OST's of all time).
I assume you're listening to the version included in the collectors edition like I am. Pretty lame it's not the full soundtrack. I'll have to find an import of the full thing at some point...

Truth be told, I don't listen to a lot of OSTs, and I'm sure having played through the game skews my opinion of some of the tracks lol.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:19:21 pm »
Just wanted to say: Best soundtrack ever in a game: Lords of Thunder for Turbo-CD/Duo. Such an incredibly rocking, guitar-driven soundtrack.

And of course the Mega Mans and Castlevanias always deliver.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 12:31:48 pm »
Music is vital for creating atmosphere and setting the tone in single player games/campaigns. Sometimes having no music is better (especially survival horror games).

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 12:56:47 pm »
I tend to Prefer Orchestral and Rock pieces being played while going through a game.
Instrument top 3 umm...
1. Bass ←bad bass can ruin a song real quick (flips -off dubstep)
2. Guitar
3. Violin? Honestly number 3 could be anything.

Also no mention of Crush 40 yet? For shame

soera

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 01:00:15 pm »
This thread can not even continue without the mention of Ys Books I & II on the Turbo Duo. Its the greatest thing ever.

As far as the instruments, Ill agree that I dont notice most individual pieces but the whole as a general. I love game soundtracks and wish I had a larger collection.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:40 pm »
Brutal Legend has the best soundtrack ever. And that is a scientific fact!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 01:23:51 pm »

I assume you're listening to the version included in the collectors edition like I am. Pretty lame it's not the full soundtrack.

Yes & I agree.

Off the top of my head...the Witch & the 100 Knight LE was the 1st one to include a full-fledged, 2 disc OST of goodness (at least from the LE's that I've been getting/seeing) in a while  :-\

(To be expected, of course from the same composer that does all of the Disgaea music  8)

These cheap bastards that include a CD with 10 tracks = < 15-20 minutes of actual music (and call/promote it as an "OST") can burn in Hell  >:(

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 01:37:26 pm »
So...if you had to pick one game's OST as your favorite one of all time - it would be ______?

and

if you had to pick only one TRACK/SONG as your favorite one of all time - it would be ______?

Since this is hard to do...I'll go 1st ==>

Favorite OST = Shadow Hearts: Covenant

and

Favorite Track = Yuna's Ballad (from FFX-2).

2 more tracks very close to my favorite are:

Via Purifico/Infinito (FFX & X-2) &

"That song" that plays in the Fusion Room in the Persona games (not only do I love the song -but- the vocals are pretty awesome too:)!

NIER, Folklore, Disgaea(s) and, especially the Ar tonelico (music & Hymnos) all get big shout-outs as well  ;D