Author Topic: Not being able to decide what to game to play  (Read 2151 times)

Not being able to decide what to game to play
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:10:04 pm »
I'm sure some other people have had this problem before, but for me it really plagues me sometimes. I've been in a rut for days now, and I still can't quite decide what it is I want to start playing.

Most of the games I like to play are ones with a story, and so a lot of my backlog consists of RPGs, so that's often what makes me hesitate about what game I should start working on next, because it'll be a long experience. For the past several days, I've literally stared at my games and just not know what I've felt like starting up, and end up not doing anything, and it sucks.

Has anyone else here experienced this? Any advice on dealing with it? I feel like this partly because I do have such a big backlog, and the number of choices are just too large.

The last game I finished was a replay of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. I'd beaten it before, but not since it first came out. I've been debating if I wanna start up KOTOR 2 because I never have finished that game before, but I don't want to get burned out on the same type of game.

Re: Not being able to decide what to game to play
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 10:28:46 pm »
I get the same way; and I'm also in the same boat as you with a good bit of my collection being RPGs. The way I deal with it is to mix it up, after playing through a few RPGs I'm play a few platformers or puzzle games. Im playing through Pikman right now and then when I'm done I'm finally going to pop in Ni No Kuni.

abe

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:54:47 pm »
I get the same way; and I'm also in the same boat as you with a good bit of my collection being RPGs. The way I deal with it is to mix it up, after playing through a few RPGs I'm play a few platformers or puzzle games. Im playing through Pikman right now and then when I'm done I'm finally going to pop in Ni No Kuni.

I tend to do the same sort of thing. After I finish a long RPG, I play through a shooter that I can plow through in a few days or less, then go back to something with more depth.

I'm sure some other people have had this problem before, but for me it really plagues me sometimes. I've been in a rut for days now, and I still can't quite decide what it is I want to start playing.

Most of the games I like to play are ones with a story, and so a lot of my backlog consists of RPGs, so that's often what makes me hesitate about what game I should start working on next, because it'll be a long experience. For the past several days, I've literally stared at my games and just not know what I've felt like starting up, and end up not doing anything, and it sucks.

Has anyone else here experienced this? Any advice on dealing with it? I feel like this partly because I do have such a big backlog, and the number of choices are just too large.

The last game I finished was a replay of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. I'd beaten it before, but not since it first came out. I've been debating if I wanna start up KOTOR 2 because I never have finished that game before, but I don't want to get burned out on the same type of game.

It can be pretty overwhelming. My collection isn't that large, but my backlog is a bit larger than I'd like it to be. If you don't already have an account, you should try out Backloggery. After you input all of your games, you can use the fortune cookie feature to have it give you a random game (or not so random if you want) to play through.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

BBowles

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 06:58:17 pm »
I find myself in that situation all the time Kitrobin! And it is extremely frustrating wanting to play games, but wasting hours not playing them instead just because you can't make a decision.

I've actually gotten to the point where I made a schedule of what games to play each day of the week. If I find myself in a rut for more than a half hour or so, I just pull out the list and pop whatever game in it says.

Finally started playing Dark Cloud yesterday thanks to that list.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:42:29 pm »
Sorry I can't help it, but this was my first thought after reading this post:

Seriously though, I sometimes have this problem too. Thanks Abe for the backloggery suggestion I gotta check that out.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:44:09 pm by dashv »

pacpix

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 11:32:17 pm »
While we are on the topic of Weird Al, Mandatory Fun just reached #1 on the Billboard charts!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:55:57 am »
While we are on the topic of Weird Al, Mandatory Fun just reached #1 on the Billboard charts!
Just listened to "Dare To Be Stupid," "Tacky," "Word Crimes,""Handy," and "Foil" these previous couple of days.  Weird Al's awesome!

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic definitely takes a toll out of the player...  The way I played the game was treating every dialogue as if it's cinematic and I don't skip dialogue even though those alien languages takes so long to end.

As for RPG backlogs...  After I play a long one, I just try out the other games to gauge the gameplay and that basically decides whether I should take the endeavor or not.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

scott

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 11:59:35 am »
I do this all the time. I usually walk into my game room and stare at the shelf for a bit and maybe I pick something, maybe I don't.

I think it happens a lot more now than it did when I was a kid. When I was younger, I had limited choices in what I could play. But now I have literally 100s of games and unless I get a bug to play something particular, it takes a while to decide...
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 03:51:46 pm »

spac316

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 05:40:30 pm »
Yeah...I feel like this often these days. I think I just over saturate myself.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 07:30:23 pm »
You can easily buy way more games than you'll ever realistically have time to play, especially the modern ones.  Plus there are always new ones coming out.  Maybe you should put some away- out of sight, out of mind. 

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 11:49:22 pm »
Sometimes I'll just attach some game titles to a dart board and decide what to play by what the dart lands on...

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 04:40:46 pm »
You can easily buy way more games than you'll ever realistically have time to play, especially the modern ones.  Plus there are always new ones coming out.  Maybe you should put some away- out of sight, out of mind. 

That's kind of what I do.  Since I can never decide on one game to play since theres too many to choose from I just say, "first game that interests me I'm putting in and pretending its the only game I own."  Until I beat it or get bored with it.  Just getting over the initial hump of putting something in the system is hardest for me, but once somethings in I can just play it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 08:55:59 pm »
I'm doing this right now. I have too many games and I'm on my couch watching stand-up on Netflix.