Author Topic: The Strain  (Read 1264 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The Strain
« on: July 24, 2014, 10:33:59 am »
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c6/The_Strain_promotional_poster.jpg/200px-The_Strain_promotional_poster.jpg (NSFW)

Did anyone else check out this comic-based show?

I just watched the pilot episode last night, and I've got the 2nd episode waiting for me. I've never read the comic, so I have no comparison to it. But on it's own, it was a fan-freaking-tastic show! It felt like a well-made movie from the late 80s or 90s. It had similar pacing and dialogue, which to me is a good thing. But the special effects and production values were leagues beyond that era, top-notch here. And I always like a good vampire story, when it involves real, killer vampires that don't sparkle.

This will be one I will definitely continue to watch.

Your thoughts on it?

(Mod edit: Image changed into a link because OH MY GOD THAT IS SOME BODY HORROR CRAP)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:43:55 pm by foxhack »

foxhack

Re: The Strain
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:43:45 pm »
Well what is this OH MY GOD THAT POSTER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Apologies for editing that but JESUS THAT IS SUPER NSFW! I know, we're (mostly) adults here but a lot of folks browse this site at work so... D:

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 01:54:07 pm »
What's wrong with the poster?  ???

There's not a single offensive or violent image on it.

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 02:21:09 pm »

There is a picture. Of a worm. Going under the girl's facial skin. And the worm is exiting through the eyeball. That is really really really really really REALLY FREAKY. :'(

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 02:23:47 pm »

There is a picture. Of a worm. Going under the girl's facial skin. And the worm is exiting through the eyeball. That is really really really really really REALLY FREAKY. :'(

lol, so it freaked YOU out.

Nothing too terrible or offensive about it, though. No cussing, nothing demeaning or insulting to anyone, no nudity or sex, no hate anything; nothing of the sort. Seeing Zombie stuff in video games is worse than this.

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:39:05 pm »
It freaked me out. The guy that laughs at Friday the 13th movies out loud and who almost got kicked out of a theater once over it.

If you're so insistent on this not being so bad then please edit your thread title to mention it might be NSFW due to body horror. I just don't want other people to get freaked out or get in trouble at work.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 03:33:25 pm »
I think the show is fairly good, though the second episode was getting fairly boring.  I really don't give a crap about the side story, about this guy trying to keep custody rights with his son or his battle with alcoholism, it really takes away from the show itself because it adds NOTHING.  I like that they had a new take on vampires with this and that they are completely vicious.  Looking forward to the series though.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:46:38 pm »
personally I normally can't stand anything involving eye's getting cut/pierced/impaled/gouged out. So, just from that poster this show is a nope.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 03:48:42 pm »
It freaked me out. The guy that laughs at Friday the 13th movies out loud and who almost got kicked out of a theater once over it.

If you're so insistent on this not being so bad then please edit your thread title to mention it might be NSFW due to body horror. I just don't want other people to get freaked out or get in trouble at work.

That's just it, why would someone get in trouble at work for it? Please explain that to me. Is it religious? Is it political? Is it sexual? Is it hateful? Is there nudity? Is it ultra-violent? No to all those questions. It's just a worm

It's just giving you the willies, there's absolute nothing offensive about it. I'm sorry it gives you the willies, but really? It gets censored because you have a weak stomach?

It's not a big deal and I'm not meaning this personally or anything, don't take it that way. I just really fail to understand why this is offensive or not-safe-for-work at all.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:29:29 pm by burningdoom »

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 04:43:48 pm »
You have one person that's already said 'nope' just above you because he didn't like the image. This isn't censorship. I am not stopping you from talking about the show or locking this thread. I am asking you to please be mindful that the material and the picture shown here is not everyone's cup of tea, and that some people will find the material offensive or disgusting, so a warning would be a nice thing to have so anyone who may have issues with this won't open this thread.

I'm not trying to be mean here. I'm just asking you to please be considerate to people that would not like seeing this material.

I apologize if it seems like I'm overreacting. I'm just trying to do my job.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:30:42 pm »
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c6/The_Strain_promotional_poster.jpg/200px-The_Strain_promotional_poster.jpg (NSFW)

Did anyone else check out this comic-based show?

I just watched the pilot episode last night, and I've got the 2nd episode waiting for me. I've never read the comic, so I have no comparison to it. But on it's own, it was a fan-freaking-tastic show! It felt like a well-made movie from the late 80s or 90s. It had similar pacing and dialogue, which to me is a good thing. But the special effects and production values were leagues beyond that era, top-notch here. And I always like a good vampire story, when it involves real, killer vampires that don't sparkle.

This will be one I will definitely continue to watch.

Your thoughts on it?

(Mod edit: Image changed into a link because OH MY GOD THAT IS SOME BODY HORROR CRAP)

Just thought y'all would like to know that it's not based on a comic book, it actually started out as a rejected pitch for a TV show that was then turned into a book trilogy (The Strain, The Fall, The Night Eternal) by Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan which was later adapted into a comic book and then it came full circle with the FX series.

As far as my impressions, well so far the show's not too bad (after 2 episodes), but there are somethings from the books that I don't think they'll be able to pull off especially on a TV show.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 09:56:01 pm »
I had to check picture again. I thought it was a hook putting stitches in an eye.

...also had to look up what NSFW was lol