Author Topic: The game that made me rethink how I listen to games.  (Read 1758 times)

The game that made me rethink how I listen to games.
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:00:39 pm »
Up until last night I never really though about a games soundtrack. I always here people talk about how awesome the music is in certain games and I never really questioned them or even thought about it; To me it was always more about the story and the music was more of an after thought. This all changed last night.... Last night I walked down to my basement looking for something to play and my eyes locked on to a game that has been sitting sealed on my shelf since the day it was released. I grabbed the game went back upstairs, unwrapped it, put it in my PS3 and proceeded to let it install. The game booted up and I was almost immediately blown away by what I was hearing. The music in this game effected me in a way that I didn't think was possible in a video game. I'm only about 2 hours in but this game is already shaping up to be my new all time favorite video game. The game I'm talking about..... Ni No Kuni Wrath of the White Witch.

I know I'm a little late to the party with this game but I just needed to share this with people who might appreciate what I'm feeling here. Of course its not just the soundtrack, everything about this game is amazing; but the soundtrack just took me by surprise. I really want to find a physical copy of the sound track but its going for about $55 on amazon (If anyone has an extra copy for sale let me know).

So now that I'm done with my moment. How about you guys, have you ever played a game that made you look at gaming differently; whether it was the music, story, or graphics. 

scott

Re: The game that made me rethink how I listen to games.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:22:38 pm »
Feed. Mitey. Chocolate.

;)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:28:15 pm »
Feed. Mitey. Chocolate.

;)

lol thanks for the tip!

abe

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 04:10:13 pm »
I have to say, the soundtrack in Ni no Kuni really did impress me. There's not too many games that I've played that I feel matched not only the quality of the soundtrack, but the recording itself which was so clear and beautiful.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 04:16:33 pm »
NieR OST FTW!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:57:21 pm »
Personally, certain games really interest me towards purchasing the soundtrack such as in final fantasy v or vi. Thankfully, I have a store nearby that sells alot of these game soundtracks from $15-30 and carry a decent selection. Only problem is that they don't have any arcade ost soundtracks, so finding a soundtrack such as a powered gear ost( no.1 on ost wishlist) can go upwards from $40, which gets kinda pricey after awhile.

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 04:59:30 pm »
Personally, certain games really interest me towards purchasing the soundtrack such as in final fantasy v or vi. Thankfully, I have a store nearby that sells alot of these game soundtracks from $15-30 and carry a decent selection. Only problem is that they don't have any arcade ost soundtracks, so finding a soundtrack such as a powered gear ost( no.1 on ost wishlist) can go upwards from $40, which gets kinda pricey after awhile.

If you happen to run into a copy of the Ni No Kuni soundtrack for that price please let me know.

soera

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 05:09:51 pm »
Ni no Kuni rocks in every way. :)

And yes, feed Mitey some chocolate. :)

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 02:40:41 am »

If you happen to run into a copy of the Ni No Kuni soundtrack for that price please let me know.
Yeah, I'll see if they have any in stock the next time I go by there. Most of the times, many of their soundtracks are 10+years old from the selection they have, but I can ask if they will get any copies of that ost.

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 02:52:43 am »
This just reminds me that I need to play Ni No Kuni lol I've had it on my shelf since the end of last year cause I got it on a great sale, I just haven't had the need to dive in yet, but I got alittle while till some of the new stuff coming out releases next month and in September, so I might go for it this weekend.

For me, soundtracks never really matter unless they are particularly unique.  Ni No Kuni I imagine will have that same kind of whimsical charm of a Ghibli movie, so I have a feeling of what I might get, but that usual music never really hits me that way.  I can tell when it works and when it doesn't and good music in a game matters, but I never really notice it and listen to it outside of the game except for when it's music I like.  I love punk, rock, and metal, so like my moment that would be similar for music, would be with Guilty Gear.  A lot of games if they have rock, they have kinda generic rock, or just a few moments of it, even less so for metal or they always go for music from bands and put in there.  Guilty Gear though, this was an entire soundtrack of amazingly kickass songs that were high quality riffing and they all had their unique features and I love listening to that and more recently, BlazBlue, since they are the same artist.  There really isn't anything else I can think of that compares for me personally.

Not that I have a problem with band related soundtracks, I mean I'm sure many of us have the Tony Hawk soundtrack stuck in our head and more recently, the brutally amazing soundtrack of Brutal Legend having over a 100 metal soundtracks and outdoes anything I've ever heard ever when you compare it to anything else with a regular band soundtrack, as I'm sure many would rather point to the last few Grand Theft Auto Games, but screw those games, cause Brutal Legend dominates it lol

And I know this isn't a music only moment thing, but anyone else remember that intro scene in Final Fantasy X, where Tidus is waiting to go into the Blitz Ball game, and it had that beautiful animation with that kinda death metal song playing over it.  Waving off game issues, I remember being blown away by that.  Not only was that scene so gorgeous at the time, but going from the usual stuff in Final Fantasy that I had known before with 7 and 8, to get that with a Final Fantasy game really hit me...Which may be why I'm one of the few that loves "Crazy Chocobo" from Final Fantasy XIII-2.  The purists HATE that song, but it amuses me to no end lol
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:57:45 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 03:12:11 am »

Yeah, I'll see if they have any in stock the next time I go by there. Most of the times, many of their soundtracks are 10+years old from the selection they have, but I can ask if they will get any copies of that ost.

That would be amazing. If run it to it sometime just shoot me a pm and we can work it out.  Thanks so much

maximo310

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 03:19:34 am »

That would be amazing. If run it to it sometime just shoot me a pm and we can work it out.  Thanks so much
Yep, no problem man. I'll let you know if I come across it.

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 11:15:12 pm »
I love the music from the Zelda and Dragon Quest games. I've been playing a lot of their music on guitar and it's really helped me learn a lot about chords. Koji Kondo and Koichi Sugiyama were responsible for my interest in music and immersion in the games they scored.

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 08:15:59 pm »
I don't really get captured by the music on too many games, but I really like hearing the under water level on Donkey Kong Country.