Author Topic: The Mega Man Series Help  (Read 2329 times)

90snostalga

The Mega Man Series Help
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:11:17 am »
Okay everyone.  I am one of the few early 90s kids growing up, that did not play Mega Man.  Yes, I know it was very famous and all my friends had the regular Nintendo Mega Man games, but I never played them.  I actually want to play them now but I don't want to go buy all of the NES and Super copies and such.  Does anyone know if all Mega Man games have been released in America on another console later on all in a compilation I can get?  Thanks for all input.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: The Mega Man Series Help
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:17:59 am »

Mega Man Anniversary Collection covers Mega Man 1-8 and was released on PS2, XBox, & GameCube.

Mega Man X Collection covers Mega Man X 1-6 and was released on PS2 and GameCube.

Mega Man Zero Collection covers Mega Man Zero 1-4 and was released only on DS.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:25:09 am »

Mega Man Anniversary Collection covers Mega Man 1-8 and was released on PS2, XBox, & GameCube.

Mega Man X Collection covers Mega Man X 1-6 and was released on PS2 and GameCube.

This is absolutely the best place to start. If you get Anniversary and X-Collection on the PS2, they are only about $15 to $20 each (GC versions, especially X, are more expensive). It is a much cheaper alternative than buying the original carts, especially if you are new to the series.

I actually never knew about Zero Collection, thanks Burning Doom :D!

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 01:28:51 am »
Thanks guys!   :D  As far as the button control and timing, is there a better version, or no problems with any of the console versions?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:05:37 am »
I'm pretty sure you can configure controls on the PS2 version. I know you can't on the GameCube. That's my only gripe. One of them on GameCube (X I think) has the shoot button on the "A" button. It feels backwards.

abe

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 10:15:42 am »
Thanks guys!   :D  As far as the button control and timing, is there a better version, or no problems with any of the console versions?

Personally, I'd say control-wise, the X Collection is best on the PS2. Not only is the button layout of the dualshock similar to the SNES controller's X Y A B buttons, but the later mega man games were actually on the PS1. You can even use a PS1 controller on your PS2 to play them if you want. Hard to beat that. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

Bwigdahl

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:36:13 pm »
Mega Man Anniversary and X Collection on PS2 are fantastic and fairly cheap (especially considering all you get with them). I think I got mine on amazon for like 10 bucks apiece a while back.

It even includes a few games that never got official US releases over here on their original console.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 01:06:56 pm »

Personally, I'd say control-wise, the X Collection is best on the PS2. Not only is the button layout of the dualshock similar to the SNES controller's X Y A B buttons, but the later mega man games were actually on the PS1. You can even use a PS1 controller on your PS2 to play them if you want. Hard to beat that. :)

I actually, I was forced to finally go buy a PS2 dual-shock because my PS1 dual-shock would not work on the Mega Man X Collection (or maybe it was Anniversary? But it was definitely one or the other) when I got it.

And I don't mean that just the analog sticks wouldn't work, the game wouldn't detect the PS1 controller at all. And it was a Sony-brand that works fine otherwise.

abe

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 01:31:16 pm »

I actually, I was forced to finally go buy a PS2 dual-shock because my PS1 dual-shock would not work on the Mega Man X Collection (or maybe it was Anniversary? But it was definitely one or the other) when I got it.

And I don't mean that just the analog sticks wouldn't work, the game wouldn't detect the PS1 controller at all. And it was a Sony-brand that works fine otherwise.

That's odd, I would've sworn that you're supposed to be able to use PS1 controllers. Oh well, it's not like there's a huge difference between the two.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

maximo310

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:47:26 pm »

That's odd, I would've sworn that you're supposed to be able to use PS1 controllers. Oh well, it's not like there's a huge difference between the two.
Well, both ps2 and ps1 dualshocks aren't too expensive to get, although the latter just seems harder to find in the wild depending on location.

scott

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 11:22:54 pm »

This is absolutely the best place to start. If you get Anniversary and X-Collection on the PS2, they are only about $15 to $20 each (GC versions, especially X, are more expensive). It is a much cheaper alternative than buying the original carts, especially if you are new to the series.

I actually never knew about Zero Collection, thanks Burning Doom :D!

Zero Collection is nice. Cause it offers all 4 in one place. The ability to play them in regular or easy mode. And the option yo play them in sequence as one long campaign mode.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

scott

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 11:25:46 pm »
Also. If I recall, PS1 controllers are completely incompatible with the PS2. So you would need PS2 DS2s in order to play a PS2. DS1s won't work.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 11:30:55 pm »
They aren't completely incompatible, just on certain games. I used my PS1 controller on plenty of PS2 games before encountering this one.

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 12:56:14 am »
Thanks guys for the help.  Just like the SNK compilations, you have helped me get the best console for the Mega Man collection.  PS2 wins and the one option for the DS.  I would love to have these CIB for the NES and SNES because the art work is so cool, but just too much money.  Again, thanks everyone for the feedback on these. 

Oh, and what about the Mega Man 64?  That one apart of the series?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 01:16:53 am »
Thanks guys for the help.  Just like the SNK compilations, you have helped me get the best console for the Mega Man collection.  PS2 wins and the one option for the DS.  I would love to have these CIB for the NES and SNES because the art work is so cool, but just too much money.  Again, thanks everyone for the feedback on these. 

Oh, and what about the Mega Man 64?  That one apart of the series?

Nothing wrong with the XBox version, either. Same controller set-up.