Author Topic: Edits and you : A note!  (Read 4444 times)

soera

Edits and you : A note!
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:09:43 pm »
Please FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY stop sending in 1309548120491284091284 edits of random stuff. Limit yourselves to about a dozen edits and let the mods/admin accept them before you send in more.

foxhack

Re: Edits and you : A note!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:23:15 pm »
SEND IN MORE EDITS, IT FEEDS US, PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, MAKES US STRONGER, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

razorbeamz

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:28:24 pm »
Something that would be nice would be if you let users also approve edits made by other users (but not their own). Maybe let users vote on their approval, and if 5 people vote yes for it, it gets automatically approved. Less work for you guys in the long run.

If voting on edits was a pro feature, it would be what would convince me to buy pro! (and probably for a lot of other users too!)
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 04:08:58 pm »
Something that would be nice would be if you let users also approve edits made by other users (but not their own). Maybe let users vote on their approval, and if 5 people vote yes for it, it gets automatically approved. Less work for you guys in the long run.

If voting on edits was a pro feature, it would be what would convince me to buy pro! (and probably for a lot of other users too!)

I *really* question (read: doubt) that bolded part.

Also, I think that this idea takes something relatively simple...and complicates the shit out of it  :-\

Nothing personal - just throwing my 2 pennies in.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:28:20 pm »
While I can understand the frustration from having to edit high amounts of items, I don't think limiting the users is the right answer.
As the site grows, there will be no stopping floods of edits for watermarked images, barcodes, titles etc..
There are two options:
  • A: Implement a new complicated vote system for edits that allows the users to manually validate together on items depending on their rank on the site (factors for this could include total edits, forum posts)
  • B: Assign new moderators to the website

90snostalga

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:35:25 pm »
I really hope I'm not guilty of this but I'm not fully sure if I understanding this edit thing.  I do submit new games from time to time that's not in the database but thats about all?

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:57:26 pm »
I have been guilty of this a few times.  Have not done it since I added all the missing information in my collection though.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

razorbeamz

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 09:01:47 pm »
While I can understand the frustration from having to edit high amounts of items, I don't think limiting the users is the right answer.
As the site grows, there will be no stopping floods of edits for watermarked images, barcodes, titles etc..
There are two options:
  • A: Implement a new complicated vote system for edits that allows the users to manually validate together on items depending on their rank on the site (factors for this could include total edits, forum posts)
To expand on idea B, how about adding a new class of moderator where their only privilege beyond what a regular user has is the ability to approve edits?
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

scott

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:22:16 pm »
SEND IN MORE EDITS, IT FEEDS US, PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, MAKES US STRONGER, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 03:10:18 am »
There are two options:
To expand on idea B, how about adding a new class of moderator where their only privilege beyond what a regular user has is the ability to approve edits?
Seconding this, there are plenty of users here who are more than willing to help out.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 07:01:08 am »
There are two options:
Seconding this, there are plenty of users here who are more than willing to help out.

This I could agree with.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

matt

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 09:20:35 am »
I also agree with B. It also helps when I don't disappear for a few months. :)

soera

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 12:16:49 pm »
Thats not what I was getting at. :( A few people were sending in literally a couple hundred minor edits all at once ... Some of them were the exact same edit just impatient enough to wait for someone to approve them.

matt

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 12:19:53 pm »
Thats not what I was getting at. :( A few people were sending in literally a couple hundred minor edits all at once ... Some of them were the exact same edit just impatient enough to wait for someone to approve them.

I was thinking of putting a "X number of pending updates" on an item page. This may help slow those down a bit.

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 12:27:28 pm »

Well, gee, that's what I normally deal with and you don't hear me complaining. :P

As for the exact same edit, some folks - even regulars - have issues with double submissions. It's not their fault, it just happens.