Author Topic: DOS Games  (Read 3024 times)

90snostalga

DOS Games
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:10:53 am »
I thought this would be interesting to see what everyone's opinions are, and for me to learn of some games I may not know.  Other than the more popular, DOOM, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D and Wolfenstein 3D, what would be your top 5 or top 10 DOS games of all time? 

Re: DOS Games
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 11:35:58 am »
I liked Descent and the Commander Keen games.  Jill of the Jungle and Jazz Jackrabbit were pretty fun too.  There was a lighthearted Halloween/horror themed platformer that I liked but don't remember what it was called.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 12:19:29 pm »
I liked Descent and the Commander Keen games.  Jill of the Jungle and Jazz Jackrabbit were pretty fun too.  There was a lighthearted Halloween/horror themed platformer that I liked but don't remember what it was called.

Descent was AMAZING! At the time, everyone was touting Goldeneye as the end-all-be-all of multiplayer gaming. Pffft, it had nothing on Descent. We had that game networked at our school, so we'd finish our typing lessons as fast and humanly possible, then get in on some huge networked vs. games of Descents. So many cool maps both official and fan-made. And even not networked, there was a HUGE online network of players for years on that game. Plus full 360 degree controls! I know, that sound silly today, but back then it was a big-freaking-deal!

And dat soundtrack!

tpugmire

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:24:37 pm »
Full Throttle, The Dig, Star Wars: Dark Forces, etc.  Pretty much anything from Lucasarts back then.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:27:08 pm »
Challenge of the Ancient Empires and Operation Neptune are 2 of my favorites. I started playing them again recently. Sure they're supposed to be educational games but they're difficult, in a fun way.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:41:31 pm »
Abuse is incredible.

Some other of my favorites include
Blood
Descent 1&2
Crusader no Remorse
Jazz Jackrabbit
Shaddow Warrior
Powerslave

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:57:07 pm »
Besides the already mentioned ones, I can remember of Prince Of Persia, Hocus Pocus, Dungeon Keeper, Dagger of Amon-Ra (or any other Sierra adventure like Phantasmagoria), Prehistoric and 7th Guest.
Juan M. - Naicigam

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 10:30:45 pm »
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure has got to be my favourite, hope to one day own a sealed boxed copy.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 12:59:50 am »
I can't really put them in any kind of ranking order but 6 greats in my mind are:

One Must Fall
Epic Pinball
Halloween Harry
Blake Stone
Descent
Jazz Jackrabbit

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 07:25:02 am »
I had DOS games confused with shareware games for some reason.   ???  I guess that's mostly what I played on PC.  Monkey Island will always be on top of my list.

90snostalga

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 03:17:50 pm »
Thanks guys.  I'm going to watch gameplay of all these and pick some for my wish list.  :D

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 04:07:41 pm »
Wing Commander, any of the starwars xwing games, Rise of the Triad.
"My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up."
     Setzer  FFVI

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:56 pm »
One Must Fall is one of the best fighters ever released for the PC.

jcalder8

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 12:06:52 am »
Kings Quest games
Police Quest games
Leisure Suit Larry games
Fallout

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 03:09:28 am »
Nice  :D  I got me a good DOS wish list going now.  Any good racing games for DOS?