Author Topic: Gamecube Component vs. Wii Component  (Read 2188 times)

90snostalga

Gamecube Component vs. Wii Component
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:57:39 am »
Is it the same to play Gamecube games via Wii component cable as far as quality, as it is an actual Gamecube console?  I'm trying to understand if there is a good reason to get the Gamecube component cables for 100 plus dollars...

bobster

Re: Gamecube Component vs. Wii Component
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:14:25 pm »
My understanding is that there isn't a difference, other than a couple perks with using the Wii version. Keep in mind I don't have the Gamecube component cables, so I'm definitely not authortative on the subject.

If you have the component cables for the Gamecube, games still won't use the progressive scan option (if the game includes it) unless you hold the B button while it's starting up. With the Wii, it automatically detects that it's a component cable and starts up the game with the better video options, again, if the game has that feature.

The one negative I can think of, and this doesn't deal with video quality itself, is that the Wii doesn't have the equivalent of the Gameboy player that the Gamecube does. So, you can't play Gameboy games, etc. using a component cable like the Gamecube can. Then again, I'm not sure if the Gameboy player even looks any better with component cables....

In my experience though, the Wii is a lot more finicky actually reading Gamecube games than a Gamecube itself. I recently played through Super Mario Sunshine and my Wii would occasionally (then later on very frequently) have issues with it. Popped it into my Gamecube and played through the whole thing no problem. Luckily I found another copy over the weekend and that plays perfect on the Wii  :D.

Currently Playing: The Witcher

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:45:33 pm »
Personally I've never had a problem with using Wii component cables to play Gamecube games. The only real downside I can think of is that you still need a gamecube to use the Gameboy player.

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 06:56:00 pm »
Thanks guys.  I think I'll just have to keep my game boy player for game boy games but maybe just get a Wii for Gamecube games.  Let me ask you guys this.  I have a standard tv for all systems not HD but if I got Wii to use for Gamecube component, which my standard tv does have component input, would it look better on the HD or standard?  What do you think?

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:13:01 pm »
Thanks guys.  I think I'll just have to keep my game boy player for game boy games but maybe just get a Wii for Gamecube games.  Let me ask you guys this.  I have a standard tv for all systems not HD but if I got Wii to use for Gamecube component, which my standard tv does have component input, would it look better on the HD or standard?  What do you think?
I use a HD tv for my wii( having gamecube component) and from what I've seen for myself and arguments between others, a HD TV will work slightly better than a standard tv for gamecube games, especially since the progressive scan will work to display those games in a nice widescreen view which is suited for HD TVs.