Author Topic: GameStop going to officially stop carrying PSP games  (Read 2516 times)

GrooDWanderer

GameStop going to officially stop carrying PSP games
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:00:59 pm »
Well, it's official. August 2014 is the last month Gamestop will accept PSP UMD trades-ins. As someone who's been trying to fill the gaps in his collection lately this can be bad news or good news. Bad news since their stock will not change once September hits, but good news because anyone that was on the fence about trading in their PSP games might pull the trigger now and flood the market ( I know , wishful thinking). Their stock was hit or miss lately as it was, but today I just picked up three more games that I "needed". I took advantage of their "Buy 2 games under $20, get 1 free". All three were priced at $8.99 so I technically paid about $6.66 per with tax, more or less what they go for on eBay when taking shipping charges into consideration. Either way it's one less hunting ground.

As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

Re: GameStop going to officially stop carrying PSP games
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 11:53:59 pm »
At least at the GS stores in my area, they haven't had any decent PSP titles since probably 2009. Funny enough, I rarely see PSP games anywhere. Definitely a system I'd like to collect for more.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 01:17:12 am »
I watched a game collector on YT that is in the Seattle area and he always gets a bunch from GameStops. The ones by me (CA) usually have half a rack with most games in generic cases if any. Retro stores are scarce as well.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 01:37:17 am »
I watched a game collector on YT that is in the Seattle area and he always gets a bunch from GameStops. The ones by me (CA) usually have half a rack with most games in generic cases if any. Retro stores are scarce as well.

I'm guessing that YouTube goes by the name of MetalJesusRocks?

Anyways PSP games have become scarce around me. Only one Game stop was still putting them out and the last good title I saw there and got was Persona 3.

scott

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 08:47:34 am »
None of my GameStops have had PSP games for about a year or better. There are some local used game stores around me that have them though, but the pickins are slim.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

argyle

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:35:02 am »
Mine still have decent selections, and I've been waiting on them to start marking them down to clear them out.  Unfortunately, yesterday I spotted a tray full of PSP games in envelopes near the registers.  I asked the guy if they had the cases for any of them, and he told me no because the manager threw them all out.   >:(
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 10:36:55 am »
Mine still have decent selections, and I've been waiting on them to start marking them down to clear them out.  Unfortunately, yesterday I spotted a tray full of PSP games in envelopes near the registers.  I asked the guy if they had the cases for any of them, and he told me no because the manager threw them all out.   >:(

Everything else aside, this is the #1 thing that pisses me off the most about Gamestop! They are destroying games for no fucking reason whatsoever! I've spoken to a few employee's about this and they always come at me with, "well, they take up too much space!" How the fuck does a generic case take up more space then the original?! On top of that, most of the stores in my area have plenty of space for an extra shelf or two where they would put complete DS or PSP games. i just hate how they are destroying the games :/

Oh, the worst was one employee who was actually bragging about how he has thrown out the cases and manuals for some pretty rare PS2 games like .hack Quarentine and Rule of Rose. . .dickhead. . .

lol sorry, just had to rant about that. It really pisses me off.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 11:23:18 am »
So then are they gonna drop prices? I'd really like to own a PSP.

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 12:29:46 pm »
I see psp games so rarely I thought that they had already stopped carrying them.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 12:55:16 pm »
I went to a second store where they supposedly have more games because it's the "dump" store for the area where games go to die. They must be one of the stores where they throw away the cases. All of their PSP games were cart only and displayed in a case. That sucks that they are actually destroying the games.

karyann

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 01:15:31 pm »
In Quebec they stopped taking new PSP games about a year ago, I'm surprised it wasn't the case everywhere else.  :o The selection here has been terrible ever since. They still have 2 or 3 good games at the one nearest to me, but they're "new" so they're still 30-45$, haha...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:17:33 pm by karyann »

maximo310

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 06:38:46 pm »
I can never seem to find any psp games at any gamestop, or other stores for cheap prices so its a bummer considering i need to expand my psp collection outside of 1 game.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 09:39:25 pm »
Sad to hear this...  Been wanting to expand my PSP collection, as well.  Sucks that I'm finding myself resorting to eBay more and more.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 05:29:45 am »
And here, in Russia, the market of PSP games is quite big and stable - almost every consumer electronics shop have their selection of PSP games for sale, even if there is no other platforms represented on shelves, which is kinda strange. But I don't see anything worth of collection here because 90% of represented games are from Essentials series.

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 06:49:45 pm »
Around this area, PSP was relegated to select stores and even then, UMD only and all crap for the past few years.