Author Topic: Packaging regional differences (not box art). What do you think about it?  (Read 4501 times)

razorbeamz

I've noticed that PAL and NTSC casings are very different. Note though, I don't want to focus on box art in this thread, just the packaging.

Some examples:

PS1 games in North America come in regular jewel cases, but PAL games come in thicker special jewel cases. They also have consistent spines in PAL regions while they have various fonts and text colors but almost always a black line.

PS2 games in North America come in black DVD cases while in PAL regions they're blue. Also like PS1, the spines are consistent in PAL while they vary in North America.

Dreamcast games in North America come in regular jewel cases with either a white spine that reads Sega Dreamcast or a black spine that just reads Dreamcast. PAL cases are thicker special jewel cases made of blue plastic.

DS games in North America and Japan come in black plastic cases with spines that have a consistent logo on top but have varying fonts and colors. European DS games come in thicker clear plastic cases and have consistent white spines.

Japanese 3DS games have black spines while North American and PAL games have white.

Anyone know of any more of these kinds of differences?
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

abe

In NSTC regions, we have Greatest Hits titles in ugly opaque red boxes for PS3 games. In PAL regions there's Platinum editions with ugly opaque silver boxes instead. I think it's the same for PSP games as well, except only PAL versions come in different coloured cases. Greatest Hits games for the PSP still have the regular cases.
A lot of PAL region Nintendo DS games also come in slightly larger clear white cases, as opposed to the grey cases that are standard in North America.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:38:15 pm by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

thekosmickollector

Some of the older PS2 games in PAL regions are in black cases too

Oh, and on Mega Drive/Genesis games where there are red spines on US games they're blue in Europe.
And PS1 in America has the green Greatest Hits games and in PAL regions there's the silver Platinum games.
And, about PS3 Platinum games I haven't the slightest clue on what planet yellow and silver is considered a good colour combination. Eeeeurgh.

Japanese N64 and SFC manuals are on matte paper and not glossy. Boxes are vertical.
Japanese Wii cases of CERO rating on bottom of spine.

NA GB Player disc cases are identical to standard JP cases.
Japanese Cube games have cardboard sheath.
JP GB Player disc cases are purple.

Standard JP GBA boxes are narrow compared to US boxes.
Includes leaflet on how to clean your GBA cards.
JP cardboard insert is up-side-down compared to US cart holder

The Famicom Mini series, known as NES Classics else where, have significantly different packaging.
Transparent/patterned plastic exterior.

Larger box contains manuals and other inserts while a smaller box contains the game cart.

Cute folded manuals.
Club Nintendo card has cart cleaning instructions on back.

thekosmickollector

Found out today that PS4 games in PAL regions have the boring text thing on exclusive games, very annoying, thought they might have gotten over that by now  :'(