Author Topic: What game is not worth a lot now, but is likely to go up in price in 15 years?  (Read 2468 times)

razorbeamz

I wonder if I'm sitting on any goldmines.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

If I knew I wouldn't be posting it on a forum  :-X

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Games are much more mainstream than they used to be. It's harder to get a rare game nowadays. Pretty much those that had low-print runs are the ones you're looking for.

razorbeamz

If I knew I wouldn't be posting it on a forum  :-X

Why? It's no different than making market speculations.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

argyle

We actually discussed this quite a bit several months back here: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4612.0.html

I think the summary was that no one knows, but obscure JRPGs, especially limited/collector's editions of them, are about the closest thing to a safe bet you can get. 

But as it's been said many times before, if you're in this hobby solely as an investment, there are much better ways to see a faster & greater return on your money.  ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

We actually discussed this quite a bit several months back here: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4612.0.html

I think the summary was that no one knows, but obscure JRPGs, especially limited/collector's editions of them, are about the closest thing to a safe bet you can get. 

But as it's been said many times before, if you're in this hobby solely as an investment, there are much better ways to see a faster & greater return on your money.  ;)

My advice in these kind of situations: Just hold on to as much from your childhood that you still have. Because it's that childhood stuff that goes up in value when the kids grow up and have a disposable income and get nostalgic. Not all of it will be worth money, but if you hang on to a lot of it, some of it will likely be worth money.

Oh boy lol

There is really no telling, but here are a few indicators that point to a game becoming valuable later on:

-limited release
-small print run
-is it a good game? if yes, more likely to be sought after
-console exclusive

Game prospecting if very risky and much of the time it is a total crap shoot. Very few games end up being worth what they went for new or more. Keep that in mind.

i would say all those download only console games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

i would say all those download only console games.

I could see a console or hard-drive with some old download game that you can't get on disc, and is no longer available on the modern consoles, going for a bit more online down the road.

scott

I could see Diamond Trust of London becoming pricey eventually. Since it was a Kickstarted, low-ish print run DS game.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

Warmsignal

Obscure RPGs, and more recently horror/survival games that aren't Resident Evil or Silent Hill. Random games that are good, but sold under two or three hundred thousand which is small by today's standards.

Speaking of, I noticed The Orange Box had a price raise at Gamestop, up to about $35 now (though you can get it cheaper on Ebay of course). I'd say that would probably retain it's value? Wish I would've kept my copy. >.<;

Pertaining to the JRPGs, Lost Odyssey and Resonance of Fate, perhaps? I've heard both are quite good. Need to pick up a copy of each sometime.

Warmsignal

Oh yeah, that reminds me when I was in GS the other day, I saw a copy of Fire Emblem for Wii, and it was a pre-owned copy and they were asking like $65. That game is going to be a future high dollar Wii game.

argyle

Speaking of, I noticed The Orange Box had a price raise at Gamestop, up to about $35 now (though you can get it cheaper on Ebay of course). I'd say that would probably retain it's value? Wish I would've kept my copy. >.<;

Pertaining to the JRPGs, Lost Odyssey and Resonance of Fate, perhaps? I've heard both are quite good. Need to pick up a copy of each sometime.

That's why I snatched the $20 copy I found when I was out of town a couple weeks ago.  Ditto with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 which I got for $28 but GS sells for $45 I believe.  Unfortunately I didn't grab the first MUA because it was the same price as GS & I had seen it at one of my local stores, so I figured I could use a GS coupon I had to knock a little off of it.  Literally the day I went to pick it up from the local store it was at, an employee there had decided to buy it.  The really sucky part is I was *going* to go the day before, but I forgot the coupon that day.  :'(
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

Didn't that One Piece 3DS game have a limited run?  You might want to check that one out.