Author Topic: Finished my GBA backlight project.  (Read 2800 times)

Finished my GBA backlight project.
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:30:12 pm »
I finally got around to installing the backlight kit I picked up a while back and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It also came with a glass lens.

jcalder8

Re: Finished my GBA backlight project.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:47:32 pm »
Looks great! How hard was it to do?

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:59:31 pm »
Looks soooo good!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:06:14 pm »
It wasnt too hard actually. There are two motherboard versions, depending on which one you have you man need to solder. The version I had was just a matter of swapping parts out. I'm actually gonna sell this one so I can make another. It was a fun little project.

davifus

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:11:56 pm »
Where did you get the Back lit kit?
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:54:10 pm »
Where did you get the Back lit kit?

I got it on ebay. but i cant seem to find it any more. I'll have to see if I can find another kit cause I really want to make another one.

90snostalga

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:41:41 pm »
Wow!  That's pretty amazing.  Great work :)  Do you think you could do a Neo Geo Pocket Color backlight mod if I payed you the right amount of money?  And just for curiosity, how much was the backlight kit for the GBA on Ebay?

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:44:00 pm »
It wasnt too hard actually. There are two motherboard versions, depending on which one you have you man need to solder. The version I had was just a matter of swapping parts out. I'm actually gonna sell this one so I can make another. It was a fun little project.

First, nice job!

If you find a place that still sells kits let me know. I just rebuilt one of these a month ago (it's the first one I had as a teenager and my kid broke it by accident).

I had the screen out and everything it looks like it's easy as hell to install the lighting kit. Wanted to do it then but can't find the kits anywhere.

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:56:32 pm »
A site named RoseColoredGaming.com was a popular seller of these kits, as well as the already modded gba's with the backlight. They recently announced on their facebook page that they can no longer make them as it seems every single distributor is sold out, it seems they were selling an old stock from the first run of GBA SP's. So unless a company starts making GBA specific screens, or something else to use instead the only way to make one is to sacrifice a GBA SP AGS-101 screen and track down the ribbon cable (either 32pin or 40pin).

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 03:11:46 am »
Wow!  That's pretty amazing.  Great work :)  Do you think you could do a Neo Geo Pocket Color backlight mod if I payed you the right amount of money?  And just for curiosity, how much was the backlight kit for the GBA on Ebay?

Thanks!
The kit was about $70 on ebay, but it seems the guy is sold out and won't be getting any more in.. I guess theres a shortage right now. As far as backlighting a Neo Geo.... if there was a kit i suppose i could do it. But Its not something I could come up with on my own. The GBA kit was a whole new LCD that was installed.