Author Topic: Has anyone else noticed how all GameCube and some Wii game discs are printed?  (Read 769 times)

razorbeamz

I noticed that GameCube games (and some earlier Wii games) tend to be printed with only one or two colors on the label instead of being printed with a full-color image like most other consoles. Does anyone know why this is? To cut costs? And why is every single GameCube game like that, even third party games?
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

I would imagine it was for cost cutting like you said.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:10:20 am by badATchaos »

argyle

Maybe for the GC it has something to do with the size of the disks as well.  I mean, maybe a full color image on a disk that small would turn out looking muddled? 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

karyann

I think it might have been for the looks, too. Keeping it simple can be a pretty efficient way to make something pretty, and I do think that Gamecube games look neat in monochrome.

davifus

I thought the GC disc were pretty cool looking. Wii uhh I need to double check my collection and see how i feel about them.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

maximo310

I'm pretty sure that reason for that is because of the size, since the miniDVD's are about 8cm in length compared to how DVD's are 12cm, so they defenitely didn't have as much space to work with on putting full color images and might have been worried about the color saturation when the images were resized to a smaller space. So they stuck with the lack of color and kept it simple, which depending on some games can look really cool( for most of the gamecube games). However, on the Wii it doesn't really seem very necessary and just doesn't look as good, considering comparsions to other platform discs' colors.