Author Topic: Square Enix localizing Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime games.........  (Read 1317 times)

davifus

Square Enix localizing Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime games.........
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:01:20 am »
It makes me mad that they're only localizing this spin-off for dragon quest. I understand the Dragon Quest isn't as big as it is in Japan compare to the states or Europe. We might have a lot of hardcore fans but I guess they want more quantity than quality. I'll get the mobile game... maybe :(

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/01/square-enix-will-consider-localizing-dragon-quest-rocket-slime-games/
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

argyle

Re: Square Enix localizing Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime games.........
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:24:01 pm »
Eh, I started to buy the DQ8 port for my Nexus the other day, then I read that it only plays in portrait mode and they cut the voices.  No thanks. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

davifus

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:39:00 pm »
Eh, I started to buy the DQ8 port for my Nexus the other day, then I read that it only plays in portrait mode and they cut the voices.  No thanks. 

I saw it too. Is it a direct port? or is some with spin off within DQ8?

argyle

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:01:02 pm »

It's a direct port, just a bad one from what I read.  Who wants to play an RPG in portrait view??  ???
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

davifus

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 02:08:05 pm »

It's a direct port, just a bad one from what I read.  Who wants to play an RPG in portrait view??  ???

I'm sure if you have a big enough phone screen it shouldn't bother you that much however it looks like a battery eater. If tablet is supported then it's a whole different story. I feel like landscape would of made it all stretch out and smaller.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:53:07 pm »
I'm currently playing Rocket Slime on DS and really, really enjoy it.  I was just thinking how awesome it would be if sequels came out on 3DS and then I saw this news.  I think the game is much better suited to an actual handheld and not a touch screen so I'm disappointed that Square Enix is going this direction.

With that said, I can understand why Dragon Quest fans want RPG entries in the series to come to the US much more than a game that is a lighter and quirkier version of 2D Zelda.  My preference would be that Square Enix gives us more of both!
When I'm not playing video games, I draw them.  You can see more at:
https://isuckworse.deviantart.com/

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:28:33 pm »
Kind of odd, I would expect the spin-offs to sell worse than the main series games.  It would be like Nintendo localizing the Tingle DS games and then not localizing Skyward Sword. 
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

davifus

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 11:35:40 pm »
I guess America is not ready a for full on DQ.

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 11:35:52 pm »

I'm sure if you have a big enough phone screen it shouldn't bother you that much however it looks like a battery eater. If tablet is supported then it's a whole different story. I feel like landscape would of made it all stretch out and smaller.
DQ8 on mobile devices is pretty bad compared to the original PS2 NA version. For starters, the frame rate drops to 20-27 fps, with quite a bit of slowdown depending on devices vs 60fps in PS2. Secondly, in order to reduce the file size of the game, they removed the orchestrated soundtrack and voice acting to put the size at 1.4G. It's also fixed in that portrait mode and can't be rotated, there can be save game bugs, touchscreen controls, and a weird interface. For $15(normally 19.99), I really don't think its a very good port, and their haven't really been any updates to address the multiple issues present in the game. It's not worth it, just stick with the original enhanced PS2 NA version.

maximo310

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 11:38:37 pm »
I feel that there is a decent fanbase that really would like a new main series game (since DQ IX came in out in 2009 and sold pretty well compared to usual U.S. sales). Unforunately, SQEnix has a weird mentality that the west doesn't really care for the series, and they only seem to be focused on releasing games in territories where it would give them the most money. So DQ pretty much gets left in the dust in Japan, save for importing all of the various DQ goodies out there.

davifus

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 11:56:31 pm »
I feel that there is a decent fanbase that really would like a new main series game (since DQ IX came in out in 2009 and sold pretty well compared to usual U.S. sales). Unforunately, SQEnix has a weird mentality that the west doesn't really care for the series, and they only seem to be focused on releasing games in territories where it would give them the most money. So DQ pretty much gets left in the dust in Japan, save for importing all of the various DQ goodies out there.

To be honest I'm sure America has a "Decent" size fanbase for DQ, but out of how many gamers. What number do we need to considered decent? I know we have very hardcore fans out there. Compare to Japan our fanbase is very small. DQ is not like FF where it has a place in the American gamers knowledge. I'm pretty sure the transition in name from Dragon warrior to Dragon quest didn't help ether.
For example If we grab 100 gamers of all kind how many do think will know DQ. It really a hit or miss. As a business perspective I understand why Sq33nix is afraid to release a DQ game. That is probably the reason why they are releasing the more safer and cheaper option. They're still dipping their feet in the current America JRPG fanbase. DQ sells really well in Japan like how all the Triple A titles sell very well here. Until DQ hit somewhere close to there I dont think it'll happen, unless Sq33nix takes a leap of faith with us.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:59:35 pm by davifus »

maximo310

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 01:21:30 am »
When you check sales figures, DQ 8 sold over 500k, and DQ 9 is probably 1-2 million from different sales figures, and considering how the latter number is pretty excellent for a turn based jrpg, they did a good job marketing the game and spent quite a good amount of money on advertisements. I don't think Square Enix should expect the same sales in the U.S. as in Japan, seeing as how the Final Fantasy series is the only one jrpg series I've seen sell huge numbers in the U.S. My problem is that Square Enix won't take any sort of risks with the DQ series overseas because they make it seem like every game has to sell several million copies worldwide to be a success, and that's simply not possible considering how much money they have to spend in expenses for their different production studios and other items of interest. They pretty much leave other people to localize some of their games because they refuse to cut any costs around the board, and they further alienate their fanbases by their actions, which makes it seems that they don't care about their games at all and won't put the time and effort into localization( Look at DQ 5 and 6 DS). Their current actions aren't going to give them more sales unless they do something to encourage it.