Author Topic: The Ratchet & Clank series, your impressions?  (Read 1252 times)

Warmsignal

The Ratchet & Clank series, your impressions?
« on: September 02, 2014, 06:49:38 pm »
I've never played any of them and there is a few reasons for that I guess. One is a perceived similarity to Jak & Daxter, a series I had long ago invested in, enjoyed, and still yet to complete. To me, this sort of left Ratchet looking like an also-ran. Secondly, the sheer number of entries is daunting. I like 3D platformers, but that's a lot of entries for a game that debuted during the PS2 era. Lastly, I've always felt turned away from the games because I found the subtitles hideously juvenile, and thought if the in-game humor was anything similar, I might not be able to stomach it and actually enjoy the game.

But I know there are plenty of Ratchet fans out there. How are the games actually? Good? Worth investing into all 20 sequels? Any that are particularly better than the others? I ask because I finally popped on a cheap copy of "Going Commando" the other day.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:52:14 pm by Warmsignal »

davifus

Re: The Ratchet & Clank series, your impressions?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 07:04:17 pm »
Honestly, I'm like you. I played Jak & Daxter. I absolutely love Daxter on PSP. I know I have Ratchety and Clanky games somewhere in my collection but never had the incentive to pull it out and play. I know "up your arsenal" is one of more popular one in the Ps2 series.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:05:59 pm »
If you are going to grab any of the PS2 entries and have a PS3 you might as well get a used copy of Ratchet & Clank Collection HD Remastered. You'll get all three PS2 entries for the price of 1.

There is a demo of the first entry in the PS3 series you can download for free off of PSN.

It got pulled in by the demo mainly because it was the first PS3 game I played that made good on the promise of animated graphics so good you'd swear your playing a cartoon.

The situations are campy but the voice acting is good which gives it charm for me. The various weapons are fun to use.

I like it for when I am in a "turn my brain off, collect bolts, and watch eye candy" mood.

I've beaten the first one for PS3 I own the second because my wife thought I loved the first one.

The HD collection I got for $14 so why the hell not?

That said I know the feeling of "played one, played them all." I can't get into Sly Cooper now because it feels like a Ratchet & Clank clone.

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:35:05 pm »
If you are going to grab any of the PS2 entries and have a PS3 you might as well get a used copy of Ratchet & Clank Collection HD Remastered. You'll get all three PS2 entries for the price of 1.

If I'm not mistaken there are five entries on PS2.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:51:25 pm »

If I'm not mistaken there are five entries on PS2.

3 for $14 is still a good deal. :)

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:11:04 am »
Aww man I love Ratchet and Clank, to me the only good Jak and Daxter game to play today is the first one, Ratchet and Clank is one of the few game series that actually makes me laugh, I've got a real dry sense of humor and these games are silly and fun. As for the platforming, they play nothing like Jak and Daxter, think of the difference between Earthworm Jim and Contra, Jak is more exploration based and Ratchet and Clank is all about the different unique guns. I'd say check it out as well

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:51 am »
I have tried both series and they are too kid cartoony for me, I don't like games that have kiddy visual style :P

topspot123

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 06:15:28 pm »
Obviously everyone has their own tastes, but I think Ratchet & Clank games are fun.  I find more than enough differences from this series, the Jak series, and Sly Cooper.  I wouldn't really recommend getting them all at this point though.  I totally agree with "played one, played them all".   Even though it is a 'platformer', there is barely any platforming, it is mostly all combat.  I feel that every entry in the main series added just enough to be considered better than the last.  I would only look into the offshoots if you like the main games.

My personal favorites are Up Your Arsenal and I liked Deadlocked more than I thought I would.  I haven't finished the PS3 games yet, but the overall mental investment is low to start them. 

Side question, I skipped the Borderlands games.  With the upgrading weapons and combat focus, how do they compare to Ratchet & Clank?

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 11:08:01 am »
I've never played any of them and there is a few reasons for that I guess. One is a perceived similarity to Jak & Daxter, a series I had long ago invested in, enjoyed, and still yet to complete. To me, this sort of left Ratchet looking like an also-ran. Secondly, the sheer number of entries is daunting. I like 3D platformers, but that's a lot of entries for a game that debuted during the PS2 era. Lastly, I've always felt turned away from the games because I found the subtitles hideously juvenile, and thought if the in-game humor was anything similar, I might not be able to stomach it and actually enjoy the game.

But I know there are plenty of Ratchet fans out there. How are the games actually? Good? Worth investing into all 20 sequels? Any that are particularly better than the others? I ask because I finally popped on a cheap copy of "Going Commando" the other day.

Well considering Ratchet is more valuable. Sells more, and is not similar to Jak in anyway, I think that warrants investigation alone.

The game has large worlds with plenty of variety. Interesting gadgets and weapons that often feel different. Tons of things going on in screen, sometimes you wanna just look around. Tons of bonuses as well.

Jak is more constrained and traditional in general. I am including Jak ii and 3 in that statement as well.

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 04:36:24 am »
You're doing yourself a disservice by not trying the Ratchet & Clank games. Obviously there are people who prefer these over Jak & Daxter and vice-versa.
The closest one in character to the J&D games is the first R&C game because its primary movement involves forward-back-turn left-turn right, it also has more actual platform elements. But from #2 onwards it focuses more on the games core strength which sways toward a 3PS with a smattering of platform sections (and the adoption of strafing as primary movement). Then #4 evolved that further by essentially becoming an Arena 3PS.

What makes the series better though?
A huge roster of interesting and amusing characters and genuinely funny dialogue. Plus you'll come to love the sheer variety of weapons and the inventive ways of killing your foes.

All of the Insomniac R&C's are worth playing and owning, i'd note #2 as being my favourite of the series but if you're coming straight from J&D and expecting something similar then you're better off playing #1 first.
Also avoid "Size Matters", it's not the same developer and it's devoid of all the things that made the earlier games great.