Author Topic: To FF XIII or not FF XIII? That is the question.  (Read 3315 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

To FF XIII or not FF XIII? That is the question.
« on: September 16, 2014, 06:41:05 pm »
Folks,

I skipped FF XIII based on the initial reviews, complaints of linearity, etc.

Now that the PS3 is declining in popularity I seeing some great deals for it.

For example my local
Mom and pop has the collectors edition of FF XIII-2 complete with a mini novel for $20.

And I can grab FF XIII for $12.

I liked 1, 7, and 9 but couldn't really get into 8 or X.

Should I give FF XIII and XIII-2 a shot?

Should I skip XIII and go straight to XIII-2?

No story spoilers in your answers please. :)

desocietas

Re: To FF XIII or not FF XIII? That is the question.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 06:52:10 pm »
And I can grab FF XIII for $12.

I liked 1, 7, and 9 but couldn't really get into 8 or X.

Should I give FF XIII and XIII-2 a shot?

Should I skip XIII and go straight to XIII-2?

I haven't played the game more than 30 min, so I can't tell you spoilers even if I wanted to :)

My friend who LOVES 7 and the older FFs haaaates 13 with a passion.  So much so that he's streaming it on Twitch right now and the title of the cast compares the game to a root canal.  However, we ran into someone playing FF Tactics last night who LOVED 13 and said it was one of his favorites because he liked that the franchise was trying to mix things up and do different things.  He also really enjoyed X, I believe, and liked the newer games.

I've heard that there are some improvements on the gameplay/battle system in XIII-2 but that people were really turned off by the dress-up aspect of the game.  It sounds like XIII-2 is more of an "idol" game, which I'm led to believe is focusing more on the characters almost being like pop stars that you can play with.

But, like I said, I haven't played either (but own both and plan to play them eventually), so I'm only basing this on impressions.

I personally really liked XII and the open-world feel of that game so playing XIII felt restrictive because there is no open-world in the levels.  My friends refer to it as Hallway Simulator, if that gives any ideas...  ::)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

davifus

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:55:31 pm »
I think you should play it and form your own opinion on it. I have played almost 90% of the first one but stopped because I got stuck on a hard part. If you play it don't leave it unattended for while or your going to lose your fluidity with the battle system (Im having a hard time getting my fluidity back).

The game is really visually appealing & OST is fantasic

I dont really mind the linear plot line as long as I get a good story.

Don't skip games around. Too much Plot hole

The only real problem I have is with a certain character that rubs you the wrong way for while in the game and you want to strangle him/her... they change for the better later but I haven't finished it to be exactly sure.

Pick me up a FFXIII-2 Collector's Edition (Ps3)(If they have extras). I missed my chance of picking it up @ a Best Buy for $60 new 2 years ago @ Black Friday. It just wasn't worth waiting in line. I have the 1st and 2nd on 360 and the 3rd (collector's edition) on Ps3. I want them in all one system.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:08:27 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:56:39 pm »
I think if you are an FF fan it is worth a play through. It is one of those games that could have just ended with the first one and didn't need two dumbass sequels. With that said, don't play the sequels, they are both pretty bad. My opinion of course.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:29:47 pm »
I think if you are an FF fan it is worth a play through. It is one of those games that could have just ended with the first one and didn't need two dumbass sequels. With that said, don't play the sequels, they are both pretty bad. My opinion of course.

There are 2 sequels?

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:44:28 pm »

There are 2 sequels?

Yup, FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (or sometimes called FFXIII-3).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 10:12:19 pm »

There are 2 sequels?

Yup, FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (or sometimes called FFXIII-3).

Wow. I thought FF XIII-2 was "Lightning Returns!" :) man I'm out of touch.

maximo310

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 10:15:04 pm »
To be honest, I never cared too much for the XIII trilogy. I played through the first one on the 360, as well as a little bit of 13-2 for a rental. Compared to the other final fantasy games, I just don't like this trilogy very much for a variety of reasons. The battle theme song(13-1) takes like a minute to finally get going and I killed enemies too quick to hear all of it, although I consider the OST to be above average. Characters and story didn't really appeal to me, as well as the linear structure of 13-1. They should have not made two sequels to the game, but they did and I somewhat see it as a cash grab for being a multiplat. I hoping that XV doesn't turn out to another bad game since they need to turn the series around.
Fun Fact: On the opening week of its release, Lightning Returns:13-3 was beaten pretty badly in sales in North America by Bravely Default :P

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 10:57:35 pm »
I thought FF XIII was an overall garbage game, like Squenix should be ashamed for making it and then continuing to push it for the trilogy.  Visually its nice, but it's utterly shallow, it's boring, it's poorly paced.  I made it 10 hours on one try, 15 on other when i thought maybe I could tough it out, and then I hear people go "Oh, yeah, like 25 to 30 hours in, the game opens up a little".  Screw that.  For about 10 bucks, to try the game, that's not terrible really.  Might even like it, but I can't think of much that was redeeming about the game, other than maybe the visuals, but at the point, just watch someone LP it. It's much cheaper lol

argyle

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 02:52:15 am »
XIII, the linearity really grated.  You won't understand what linear is in an RPG until you play that game.  People have said "Oh, FFX was the same way!"  No.  No, it was not.

However I think if you went into it expecting it to be extremely linear that there's still some good to be had - the battle system is very different but extremely fun and it's super pretty.  FFXIII-2 on the other hand is an incredible game and one of my favorite JRPGs of that gen.  The story is hard to follow, sure, but they threw all of that linearity out the window and there's a ton of exploration to be had.  Was one of the most enjoyable platinums I've gotten as well, I just couldn't put the game down. 

My initial impressions of Lightning Returns were that the timer hurts the game, but I've had a friend tell me that once you get into the game the timer is pretty much irrelevant so I want to get back to it at some point. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 03:13:05 am »
Timer?

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 04:45:54 am »
Timer?

To me it looked like a Dead Rising type thing.  You have a few days to accomplish what you need to before the world is destroyed or something.  I don't know exactly, the story gets pretty batshit crazy lol

XIII, the linearity really grated.  You won't understand what linear is in an RPG until you play that game.  People have said "Oh, FFX was the same way!"  No.  No, it was not.

However I think if you went into it expecting it to be extremely linear that there's still some good to be had - the battle system is very different but extremely fun and it's super pretty.  FFXIII-2 on the other hand is an incredible game and one of my favorite JRPGs of that gen.  The story is hard to follow, sure, but they threw all of that linearity out the window and there's a ton of exploration to be had.  Was one of the most enjoyable platinums I've gotten as well, I just couldn't put the game down. 

My initial impressions of Lightning Returns were that the timer hurts the game, but I've had a friend tell me that once you get into the game the timer is pretty much irrelevant so I want to get back to it at some point.

I tried to get into FFXIII-2, but I felt it was just as lacking as the previous game.  It seemed generally abit better and a little more to explore, but I still wasn't feeling it.  I also hated the combat system in it.  Sure it sorta feels more actiony and of course it's pretty, but then you could sorta just autopilot it.  I don't really get Square's desire to constantly revamp the combat systems.  It's not like anyone was really asking for it.  I thought Ni No Kuni did a better RPG than Square did from what I've played, keeping the action familiar to the older school system, but it was also quite actiony and felt like a better blending of the two.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:50:02 am by kamikazekeeg »

argyle

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 10:15:39 am »
Given the choice I'd probably take a more traditional battle system as well.  That said, the system is XIII-2 (which is more-or-less the same system as in XIII) is still a lot of fun and definitely requires a ton of strategy especially towards the late game.  I wouldn't say it's any more autopilot-y than when you're mindlessly pressing "attack, attack, attack" in the throw-away fights of a standard RPG. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

davifus

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 10:19:45 am »
FFX is a great game.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

bobster

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 12:53:37 pm »
I'm with Argyle on this one. While 13 did have it's linearity, there's a lot of lore there that can be interesting. Visually it's very nice and the battle system, while it takes a while to get really familiar with, is more complex than it appears.

I thought it was a big improvement with 13-2. I loved that the story involved time travel and parallel dimensions. It was really cool to see some of the same environments in different states of condition, and how your actions affected later timelines. One thing I never see people talk about is how great the antagonist, Caius, is. He's pretty awesome!

I tried to play lightening returns (or 13-3) but got pretty flustered feeling I was missing stuff. I have the strategy guide now, but haven't had a chance to go back to the game. The core concept seems pretty cool though! I'm hoping the strategy guide can better prioritize what I want to do and when since the world has a timer. That and make fighting a bit easier  :-\.
Currently Playing: The Witcher