Author Topic: Hyrule Warriors  (Read 5112 times)

Hyrule Warriors
« on: September 18, 2014, 04:00:21 am »
Finally it is coming out next week and I'm pretty excited for it.  It seems to be about as good as I was expecting it to be according to a review I watched, which it will probably be nothing really amazing because it is the repetitive Dynasty Warriors gameplay, but overall still a pretty fun game with a lot to collect and accomplish in it.

It's also been released that the three villains of the game will be added for free to the game as playable characters in the next update.  There will be monthly DLC which will include kind of a little bit of everything with each one, ranging from game modes, new adventure maps (Which I believe is the Zelda NES map, so maybe more based on like A Link to the Past and others?), new characters, and new costumes.  It's basically a season pass thing where if you pre-order it, you'll get Dark Link right away.  This is for the Japanese version right now, so not sure if any of that will change when the North American version is released.

http://nintendoeverything.com/hyrule-warriors-first-screenshots-of-the-new-playable-characters-dlc-details/

karyann

Re: Hyrule Warriors
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:09:59 am »
Not sure how I feel about monthly DLC, but at least playable villains is cool  :)

argyle

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:12:46 am »
I'm kinda disappointed in the good reviews, I was looking forward to seeing all the DW haters shriek in horror when they discovered that their new Zelda game IS a DW game.  :P

In all seriousness, really looking forward to this game.  My U needs some love.  ;D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 06:22:40 pm »
So far, loving the game.  More than I thought really.  It's just a lot of fun, I love all the nods to past games, I like how they are justifying bringing in all of the characters, I'm running around in a very green and simpler Ocarina of Time based Link outfit, it's good stuff lol

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 07:26:17 pm »
So far, loving the game.  More than I thought really.  It's just a lot of fun, I love all the nods to past games, I like how they are justifying bringing in all of the characters, I'm running around in a very green and simpler Ocarina of Time based Link outfit, it's good stuff lol
Would you reccomend getting the game right now? Or is it better to wait until the price drops on it?

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 07:35:48 pm »
Would you reccomend getting the game right now? Or is it better to wait until the price drops on it?

I would probably recommend it if you are a Zelda fan.  Sure, it's an entirely different game, but it has lots of fan service and I was completely enjoying myself all afternoon.  If you like Dynasty Warrior games, I've been told, you will love it also.  If you are both a DW fan and a Zelda fan, this may be one of the best games you play this year LOL

For me, as having not really played much Dynasty Warriors, but being a huge Zelda fan, it's good fun, even more than I thought I would.  It is also a completionists dream game, because it looks to take over 200 hours to master it according to Jirard the Completionist.  I could see it getting repetitive at a certain point, but I expect to get a lot of hours out of the game which to me warrants its price tag.

argyle

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 07:45:36 pm »
I *really* wanted to pick it up today, but in the end I had to cancel it.  I'm picking up Shadow of Mordor next week & I just grabbed Ar nosurge.  Just too much all at once, and Hyrule had the distinction of being the one of those that had no real incentive to pick it up at launch. 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

karyann

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 11:21:13 pm »
I *really* wanted to pick it up today, but in the end I had to cancel it.  I'm picking up Shadow of Mordor next week & I just grabbed Ar nosurge.  Just too much all at once, and Hyrule had the distinction of being the one of those that had no real incentive to pick it up at launch.

Yeah, in NA we had to real reason to want it day one. A choice of maybe one DLC, while the rest of the world has all 3 DLCs + scarves? It's almost insulting  :-\ Anyway, I'll get it for sure; just at a lower price. It seems like a really good game, but I can wait, I have lots of other good games to help me wait  ;D

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 11:51:39 pm »

I would probably recommend it if you are a Zelda fan.  Sure, it's an entirely different game, but it has lots of fan service and I was completely enjoying myself all afternoon.  If you like Dynasty Warrior games, I've been told, you will love it also.  If you are both a DW fan and a Zelda fan, this may be one of the best games you play this year LOL

For me, as having not really played much Dynasty Warriors, but being a huge Zelda fan, it's good fun, even more than I thought I would.  It is also a completionists dream game, because it looks to take over 200 hours to master it according to Jirard the Completionist.  I could see it getting repetitive at a certain point, but I expect to get a lot of hours out of the game which to me warrants its price tag.
Well, I've already got my pre-order money on Bayonetta 2, so I'll probably pick it up once it goes down in price, but I still want to try it out, since it looks like a pretty fun game from the gameplay footage I've seen.

pacpix

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 01:49:24 am »
Been having a lot of fun with this game so far.  If you go in expecting a traditional Zelda game you are sure too be disappointed.  However, it is impossible to not have fun playing this game.  Just great nonstop action and fanservice that has more than enough content to satisfy me until Zelda U is released.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 04:07:10 am »
Been having a lot of fun with this game so far.  If you go in expecting a traditional Zelda game you are sure too be disappointed.  However, it is impossible to not have fun playing this game.  Just great nonstop action and fanservice that has more than enough content to satisfy me until Zelda U is released.

Yeah I was kinda hoping they were gonna add in more or better exploration to give it a better Zelda feel, but it's pretty minimal.  Basically it's just a coat of Zelda over top a body of Dynasty Warriors, but the fan service is ridiculously high and I was constantly grinning at every little addition they put in.  I never had much interest in DW, but fill it with Zelda stuff and I'll love it lol

I did a full playthrough, doing a marathon of the normal difficulty campaign and really enjoyed it, though my left thumb is going to hate me for it lol Still so much left over to do as I still have to unlock 4 characters, weapons, and whatever else there is to get.  Took me like 10 or so hours to beat it.

pacpix

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 02:04:28 am »

Yeah I was kinda hoping they were gonna add in more or better exploration to give it a better Zelda feel, but it's pretty minimal.  Basically it's just a coat of Zelda over top a body of Dynasty Warriors, but the fan service is ridiculously high and I was constantly grinning at every little addition they put in.  I never had much interest in DW, but fill it with Zelda stuff and I'll love it lol

I did a full playthrough, doing a marathon of the normal difficulty campaign and really enjoyed it, though my left thumb is going to hate me for it lol Still so much left over to do as I still have to unlock 4 characters, weapons, and whatever else there is to get.  Took me like 10 or so hours to beat it.
I have played it enough where I could have finished Legend mode by now, but I have been replaying through every level on the three difficulty level and finding all of the heart pieces and skulltulas.  Then I have to finish the other modes and max my character levels :P

Sure I would rather be playing through dungeons and exploring the world, but doing things like wiping out 70 enemies with Link's sword spin is so much fun.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 04:15:06 am »

I have played it enough where I could have finished Legend mode by now, but I have been replaying through every level on the three difficulty level and finding all of the heart pieces and skulltulas.  Then I have to finish the other modes and max my character levels :P

Sure I would rather be playing through dungeons and exploring the world, but doing things like wiping out 70 enemies with Link's sword spin is so much fun.

Now you just need to beat the game and then you can go through all the levels again on an even harder difficulty :D I'm mostly just gonna try and unlock as much of the actual content that I can, which are weapons, characters, and I guess items.  I'm totally not looking forward to the Skulltula's though as they sound incredibly rough on the higher difficulties, but you need them for the Blue and Red tunics for Link :\

spac316

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 01:36:58 pm »
I'm enjoying this game a lot. It's a nice change of pace for the Zelda franchise, even if it's just Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda skin. It's good mindless fun, with some deep aspects in it for good measure. I like to get lost in the action!
The fan service is strong with this one indeed and I love every bit of it, lol!

The only things I wish this had was a way we could switch to other characters during a scenario. I also wish there was an online Co-Op mode. I also wish the grunt and ally AI would be a tiny bit more aggressive but I assume that's how it was in DW.
It's also kind of odd when you play a certain character in free mode and in the level you see an NPC of the same character you're playing as.

Minor gripes aside, it's a fun game and I hardly ever played any of the DW games!

argyle

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 02:58:54 pm »
I was watching the Completionist's review last night w/ my wife, and about half-way into it she looks right at me & goes "You *have* to get this game - for yourself!"  Hehehe, she knows my love of DW and my love of Zelda, and was kinda surprised when I told her I canceled my preorder.  I've got enough credit to cover all but about $25 of it tho, so I think I'm gonna bite by the end of the week.  ;)