Author Topic: crappiest system you ever owned?  (Read 11650 times)

dreama1

crappiest system you ever owned?
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:51:54 pm »
crappiest system you ever owned?

Re: crappiest system you ever owned?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:14:44 pm »
I have never owned a crappy system, but in terms of quality that would be the XBOX 360. My original 360 Elite quite reading disks about a year and a half after owning it, and then after fixing it, it went RRoD on me 3-months later. Very low quality system, I'm surprised there wasn't a class action lawsuit against MS.

davifus

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:23:24 pm »
I have never owned a crappy system, but in terms of quality that would be the XBOX 360. My original 360 Elite quite reading disks about a year and a half after owning it, and then after fixing it, it went RRoD on me 3-months later. Very low quality system, I'm surprised there wasn't a class action lawsuit against MS.

I had my 360 pro since 08 and it never failed or RROD on my me soooo it could of been you or that specific console.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 10:26:55 pm »
I know this is gonna sound like blasphemy to the really old schoolers, but I'm gonna say it anyways:

Atari 2600

The joystick is a pain in the butt (luckily Sega Genesis controllers can fix this problem), terrible graphics, incredibly repetitive and dull gameplay, and some horrendous sounds come out of that machine.

I do appreciate it's place in gaming history, however. Without it we wouldn't be where we're at now with home consoles. I just don't find it fun to play.

davifus

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 10:28:41 pm »
Atari 2600/5200 & ETC -  I dont own it because I dont want it because I can't comprehend the system.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 11:23:30 pm »
 Not really an actual system, but I owned a psp ripoff- the popstation. Those bulit in games were terrible and it broke within 3 months. Thankfully I got it for free, so no buyer's remorse on that purchase.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 01:23:42 am »
The Atari Jaguar, it's neat to have as a collector but damn here is nothing to play on that piece of junk. 

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 02:07:01 am »
OUYA. I've yet to make myself download anything on that thing...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Bwigdahl

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 02:19:53 am »
This thing

I remember it was actually kind of cool when I got it (I was probably 10 or so) but it was damn near impossible to play it on that damn rollin' rocker wannabe ass snowboard. Like I said, when I got it, I thought it was kinda cool and just challenging, but now that I know a little bit better I realize it was just a steaming piece of shit lol

dreama1

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 09:59:56 am »
This thing

I remember it was actually kind of cool when I got it (I was probably 10 or so) but it was damn near impossible to play it on that damn rollin' rocker wannabe ass snowboard. Like I said, when I got it, I thought it was kinda cool and just challenging, but now that I know a little bit better I realize it was just a steaming piece of shit lol
What the hell is that? A penis enlarger?

dreama1

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 10:02:38 am »
I know this is gonna sound like blasphemy to the really old schoolers, but I'm gonna say it anyways:

Atari 2600

The joystick is a pain in the butt (luckily Sega Genesis controllers can fix this problem), terrible graphics, incredibly repetitive and dull gameplay, and some horrendous sounds come out of that machine.

I do appreciate it's place in gaming history, however. Without it we wouldn't be where we're at now with home consoles. I just don't find it fun to play.
Guess you not seen the intellivision controller. The atari 2600 is angel dust compared to that one.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 10:16:59 am »
As much as I like the SNES-101 (model 2 SNES) for it's exterior design, the thing is really cheap. Plastic feels like it would just crack and shatter to pieces if it was dropped.
The power switches are also known for becoming "mushy" and sometimes stop working altogether. They're basically held together with nothing but friction. As you thrash the switch about over time the module will bend and eventually the bottom falls out. I bought one with this issue and ended up throwing out the old one and connecting a different switch.

Another Nintendo blunder is the Virtual Boy. Not only was it a critical and commercial failure the thing was physically a piece of crap too.  ;) The biggest design mistake with the device was the the ribbon cables connecting the motherboard to each display. Instead of using solder to secure it they opted to just use GLUE! Note that the two displays need to move around so over time the glue looses its grip (not to mention that glue dries out) and finally breaks away from the display PCB completely, thus loosing picture. Before it completely stops working a common issue is long vertical lines appearing on the screen breaking up the image. -This is similar to the Game Boy vertical line issue.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 02:45:26 pm by badATchaos »

tripredacus

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 10:49:06 am »
The first thing that comes to mind is the Neo Geo Pocket Color. I think it is due to when I got it, which was recently. The lack of a back-light screen is what kills it for me. I know it can be modded to have one by using an Advance SP screen, but I don't want to go through that trouble. Now if I had gotten this when it came out, things might be different. For example, I liked the Gameboy when it was new, even though I also had a Game Gear. Concerning portables, only the Game Gear and Game Boy Advance SP (to a lesser extent, the Nomad but I don't use) are the ones for me. The original Gameboy is fine but it gets a pass because you can play the games on either the Advance SP or the Super GameBoy/Color add-on for SNES.

I'm not considering computers like the Timex Sinclair 1000, which I was trying to get for some time only to be disappointed by it and its capabilities once I got one.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 11:53:21 am »
The first thing that comes to mind is the Neo Geo Pocket Color. I think it is due to when I got it, which was recently. The lack of a back-light screen is what kills it for me. I know it can be modded to have one by using an Advance SP screen, but I don't want to go through that trouble. Now if I had gotten this when it came out, things might be different. For example, I liked the Gameboy when it was new, even though I also had a Game Gear. Concerning portables, only the Game Gear and Game Boy Advance SP (to a lesser extent, the Nomad but I don't use) are the ones for me. The original Gameboy is fine but it gets a pass because you can play the games on either the Advance SP or the Super GameBoy/Color add-on for SNES.

I'm not considering computers like the Timex Sinclair 1000, which I was trying to get for some time only to be disappointed by it and its capabilities once I got one.

I thought it was a great system. And the screen was the best and clearest non-lit screen I've ever used. It's not nearly as dark and murky as the original Game Boy or Game Boy Color was. And the clicky thumbstick was really cool.

My big complaint was the small game library. After I rushed through the fighting games (because it's not like you can play 2-player), then finished Sonic Pocket Adventure and the 2 Metal Slugs; there wasn't much left.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 11:53:54 am »

I had my 360 pro since 08 and it never failed or RROD on my me soooo it could of been you or that specific console.

You are the first person I have ever known that only had 1 360 and no problem with it.

The 20 other people I know are on their second or 3rd. One is on his fourth. The failure rate was something like 28%. It got so bad there almost was a class action lawsuit. But before it gained steam Microsoft retroactively expanded their warrantee time period to appease those affected.

This is the main reason I never have and may never own an XBox 360.

Supposedly the black models are better about not overheating but I don't know anyone with the black model.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:58:52 am by dashv »