Author Topic: The Game Gear - To Buy, or Not to Buy?  (Read 2785 times)

The Game Gear - To Buy, or Not to Buy?
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:22:09 pm »
Any opinions?  :D

Since they're pretty cheap nowadays ($25 on Ebay, usually including some extras) I thought I might ask for some opinions. I like handhelds, but I wasn't sure if there are enough enjoyable games to really warrant the purchase. Not that I play my consoles much, but I always like to add random items to the collection on occasion. xD

Also, any problems to look for/ask about when purchasing? I believe the Nomad had sound issues, but I'm not so sure about the Game Gear.

I'd like to collect for the Neo Geo Color as well, but I thought that the Game Gear might be a more affordable addition for now (and in any case, I'm mostly working on my PSP/Vita/360 collection when I have a few spare bucks).

davifus

Re: The Game Gear - To Buy, or Not to Buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:31:30 pm »
I dont think Game Gear is necessarily that bad of a handheld, but I still wouldn't pick it up for $25 on Ebay (shipping is going to be like $10-$15). I would take my chance on Thrift stores, Garage Sale, and Etc for better deals. Most of the games are dirt cheap.

If its a good deal and it happens to fall on your lap then probably. 

The rechargeable battery is a must.

It a very niche handheld.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:44:32 pm »
I had a Game Gear for a long time, and to the tell the truth, no, it's really not worth it. The game library really isn't that great. I mean, there are good titles, but most of them are so cut that it ruins the game.

And the screen definitely doesn't help. In a lot of games, especially the straight-ports, there just isn't enough screen. Sonic games are the perfect example. It's a Sonic game, so you want to run fast. Except there's so little time to react that running fast is pretty much suicide.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:59:40 pm »
Finding fully working working Game Gears can be a little tricky. The capacitors Sega used were defective and most have failed by now. When this happens the screen won't display a picture or the sound will go out or both. Even if you find one that works most of the capacitors in it are still likely bad. There's just one capacitors that's absolutely critical labeled C54 when that one fails that's when you loose picture. So if you have the resources I'd recommend buying one that has been recapped or have one recapped.

The rechargeable battery is a must.
If you're talking about the Game Gear battery packs don't even bother with them. There's no way 20+ year old battery cells are going to hold much of a charge. You can replace the cells in them but you could also just use rechargable AA's. So I don't see any point in messing around with them.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:02:22 pm by thecrypticodor »

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 07:35:59 pm »
Thanks, everyone! ^.^

This info will definitely be useful later!

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 08:20:42 pm »
Just got one, the games and everything is really cheap. I am only collecting Game Gear for nostalgic reasons and because I'm a sega fanboy. I can see if you want to just get into it that it wouldn't be worth it unless you're finding stuff for dirt cheap.

agwolf2097

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 08:39:00 pm »
Even as a self-proclaimed "Sega fan" back in the day, the Game Gear never seemed absolutely necessary.  It was always just an alternative to the Game Boy, even if it was essentially a fully portable Master System.

Don't bend over backwards trying to find one, but it's fun if there are a few games that you do actually wanna play (if you're not satisfied just playing them in an emulator).  Consider doing an LED backlight mod to extend battery life, though.

I basically own one just for the sake of the Sonic games.

sin2beta

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:14:16 pm »
I will be the sole detractor and write that the Game Gear and misunderstood to make it worth while. There are some great games that make it worthwhile. Most people pick up the sonic games, which are not very good.

Pick up Halley Wars, Tails Adventure, WonderBoy 3,Shinobi 1 and 2, Crystal Warriors, Defender of Oasis, GP Rider, Ristar, Tempo Jr, Fantasy Zone, and Woody Pop just to name a few.

I own about 50% of the Game Gear library. Most were purchased for far less than a dollar. I had a local video game store selling them 4 for a dollar to get rid of them. From what I've seen it is definitely one of the most undervalued systems. Now, that does not make it amazing. Mainly cheap. But it does have some solid gems. Honestly, you could get the 12 I listed and the system for pretty cheap and have a decently sized collection. And the games I mentioned are great!

What they said about the caps is true. If you don't find one in the wild, I would be tempted to suggest a "refurbished" one. People will replace the caps and sell them. Sometimes you can find one with free shipping for about $40. 
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 12:50:21 am »
The game gear is neat but hard to recommend, the games are just Master System games, with a few exceptions.
In terms of reliability, that's tough as well, I've owned four different ones,now three, the capacitors are garbage, one had sound issues the other didn't even turn on.
As a big Neo Geo fan though, it's hard to recommend the pocket color as well, I'm not trying to sound like a dick and question what you already know, but you've got to realize SNK was know for 2D fighting games and that's what the pocket color is full of with a few puzzle games and Metal Slug, of course. They're great but if fighting games aren't your thing don't spend a ton of money on it 

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:56:30 am »
I would recommend picking one up depending on what kind of games you enjoy playing.

If you enjoy retro games then the Game Gear is an amazing system. My wife and I both owned GGs when we were kids and still have our units.

Sin2beta made good game suggestions if you are not sure of some good games to pick up.

My rechargable battery pack actually still works. Although I fear those days may be coming to an end soon. I think because I used it sparingly - really no idea how it has survived!!!

I also have a cool carrying case so I can carry that bad boy on business trips. Airport security swabbed it once in Long Beach with something wacky looking so I stopped taking it with me. I was thinking it was going to end up all messed up because of nutso terrorists that make me have to get strip searched and my systems used and abused. Curse those terrorists!
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 01:58:42 am »
I had one as a kid and don't have any inclination that I'll ever pick it up again.  The only games I really care about are on eShop or VC.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 04:51:48 pm »
Either the GG or the Nomad I would always end up tethered to the wall because my battery pack burned out after about 10 years.  I think both systems lasted about 4-6 hours on batteries.  Plus you couldn't play them in the sunlight without another attachment.  About the Nomad, it's cool and everything, the screen is great and the control layout is super.  I felt a little duped when I opened mine up and found you had to attach an external battery compartment or rechargeable battery, Sega really liked to append their systems with clunky stuff (32x, CD, Ram Cartridges, etc.).  Also my Nomad would reset if you turned it upside down fast enough, and I took great care of it, I think that's a known problem with it as opposed to just a problem with mine.  I had a really hard time selling my Game Gear too, had to cut a really good deal to get rid of that thing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:54:23 pm by gartcat »

sin2beta

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 06:10:36 pm »
I use rechargeable batteries on mine. I forget how the ratings go, but I just researched what to look for for the longest running time and bought a cheap off brand with those specs. I can play all week on the train. Not sure how long it is but it is between 6 and 10 hours. I would guess about 7. I may try to do a full runtime test just leaving it running. It does last a decent while though. Just remember that battery technology has improved.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 11:36:10 pm »
The game gear is neat but hard to recommend, the games are just Master System games, with a few exceptions.
In terms of reliability, that's tough as well, I've owned four different ones,now three, the capacitors are garbage, one had sound issues the other didn't even turn on.
As a big Neo Geo fan though, it's hard to recommend the pocket color as well, I'm not trying to sound like a dick and question what you already know, but you've got to realize SNK was know for 2D fighting games and that's what the pocket color is full of with a few puzzle games and Metal Slug, of course. They're great but if fighting games aren't your thing don't spend a ton of money on it

No worries, you don't sound like a dick at all. XD I'm lacking knowledge about a lot of stuff, so that helps. ^^ I'm not really into fighting games, so I'll be sure to keep that at a distance, interest wise (many more things I'd rather collect first, in that case).

Thanks to everyone else as well! My Professor made a comment the other day that He had a Game Gear as a kid. I just can't imagine ever owning one of those when the battery life was so terrible. o.o; Aside from plugging it into an outlet, I don't know HOW a person would keep batteries in that thing. Batteries are already expensive enough nowadays, I can't imagine having to buy them constantly back then... that'd cost a small fortune lol. o.o;

agwolf2097

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 12:33:51 pm »
There are some great games that make it worthwhile. Most people pick up the sonic games, which are not very good.
Ouch, dude, come on... talk about subjective...

The 8-bit Sonic games aren't the same as the Genesis series, but they still hold their own.  Inventive, large, challenging, and their music is just as competent as any other Sonic game...  They're not objectively 'bad' just because you may happen to not like them :P  Things falter a bit with the Drift games, Labyrinth, and Blast, but the standard "normal Sonic games" are as viable as any other 2D Sonic entry.

I could say the Wonderboy or Shinobi games are "not very good," but in reality, they're just not fun for me, I think they're boring.  Ristar is just a copy of the Genesis version, admittedly quite playable, but still pointless if you've got it's bigger brother.  Tempo Jr is very slow and plodding, I found it to be considerably dull compared to the first one on the 32X, both visually and the gameplay itself.

To be fair, everyone just has their own preferences, so it's really up to a new collector to do exactly what fauxshot here has done... put out some feelers and see what might be a good start. :)

I use rechargeable batteries on mine... ...it is but it is between 6 and 10 hours. I would guess about 7.
you, sir, must be a wizard, because I've never gotten over 3 hours in my GG or Nomad before the battery light started yelling at me, and I've never had the machine last over 4 hours.  I've technically had no reason to play either one in the last 15 years, so who knows, maybe new battery tech really does make a difference... but I'd be hard-pressed to believe it, and I'm not shelling out cash on batteries to test lol