Author Topic: Best of the worst JRPGs/SRPGs?  (Read 3498 times)

Best of the worst JRPGs/SRPGs?
« on: October 23, 2014, 02:10:17 pm »
So I've been cutting some things off my wishlist lately in an attempt to focus more on quality over quantity, but I'm finding it a little difficult to trim down some of them. Deep down, I know I could probably skip all of these... but you never know!

Anyone have thoughts on the following?
- Arc Rise Fantasia [Wii]
- Avalon Code [NDS]
- Baroque [Wii]
- Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled [NDS]
- Blazing Souls Accelate [PSP]
- Brigandine: Legend of Forsena [PS1]
- CIMA: The Enemy [GBA]
- Legasista [PSP]
- Mana Khemia: Student Alliance [PSP]
- Mimana Iyar Chronicle [PSP]
- Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner [PSP]
- Mystic Chronicle [PSP]
- Pier Solar [Misc]
- Rainbow Moon [PS3]
- Shining Tears [PS2]
- Spectral Force Genesis [NDS]
- Unchained Blades [PSP]
- Vandal Hearts I & II [PS1]

I'm also curious if any of Compile Heart or Idea Factory's games are remotely worthwhile. Mugen Souls seems kind of weirdly... interesting, but stupid?

Any feedback would be useful!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:20:19 pm by insektmute »

davifus

Re: Best of the worst JRPGs/SRPGs?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:21:09 pm »
I heard compile heart games have been overall mediocre. The last game they released was Fairy Fencer F and I heard it was somewhat good compare to some of their other releases.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

argyle

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 02:26:10 pm »
Mana Khemia is excellent on the PS2, but I've heard the PSP version has serious loadtime issues - unless you're talking about the digital version, which I assume you're not.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:28:55 pm »
I'm also curious if any of Compile Heart or Idea Factory's games are remotely worthwhile. Mugen Souls seems kind of weirdly... interesting, but stupid?

While I didn't dislike Mugen Souls, it is pretty heavy on the level grinding (even for a JRPG). Probably more grinding than most of Compile Heart's stuff, though I wouldn't say most their games have any more grinding than the average JRPG.

On average, most of Compile Heart and Idea Factory's games get pretty shitty ratings in the West, compared to generally more favorable reviews by Japanese players. I find it's better to go off of Famitsu's review scores for obscure Japanese stuff like that. Then again, if you're not really into weird Japanese games, you're probably more inclined to agree with the western reviewers. I personally enjoy most of their games, even the ones that I will admit are pretty rough around the edges. I'm a big fan of their Hyperdimension Neptunia series as well.

To sum things up, most of Compile Heart and Idea Factory's games are either something you'll love or hate. They're all pretty similar, so if you don't like one of them you should probably stay away from the rest.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:37:39 pm »
I find it's better to go off of Famitsu's review scores for obscure Japanese stuff like that. Then again, if you're not really into weird Japanese games, you're probably more inclined to agree with the western reviewers. I personally enjoy most of their games, even the ones that I will admit are pretty rough around the edges. I'm a big fan of their Hyperdimension Neptunia series as well.

That's kinda what prompted my curiousity. I've played plenty of games that are objectively kind of awful, but for whatever reason, absolutely hook me. Ar tonelico Qoga is a good example - the loli elements are creepy as hell, the combat fairly simple, but for some reason, I really enjoyed it.

I don't put much stock in 'professional' reviews, but your suggestion to check against Famitsu is probably a good one.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:47:43 pm »
So I've been cutting some things off my wishlist lately in an attempt to focus more on quality over quantity, but I'm finding it a little difficult to trim down some of them. Deep down, I know I could probably skip all of these... but you never know!

- Avalon Code [NDS]
- Baroque [Wii]
- Legasista [PSP]
- Mystic Chronicle [PSP]
- Pier Solar [Misc]
- Rainbow Moon [PS3]
- Shining Tears [PS2]
- Unchained Blades [PSP]

I've got a few of those but, the only one I've played is Rainbow Moon.

I'd give it a 7/10, or so...add a point if you don't mind old-school type RPG's and a bit of necessary grinding here & there -and- subtract a point if you can't stand those kinds of things.

One of my favorite games, with my favorite battle system...Ever is a iF/CH==>NISA game called Cross Edge -but- a lot of their games are of the "Love em or hate em" type and they're known for their Steep learning curves, high/challenging difficulty, and True Ends that are Truly impossible to get w/o following a guide!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

cobraseph

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 12:00:13 am »
from your list i played Brigandine and both Vandal Hearts.... if you are collecting i would say go for them.. if you are looking for retro gaming then yeah awesome.. but in my opinion they are that kind of game that only the story is appealing.

argyle

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 10:17:43 am »

- Avalon Code [NDS]
- Baroque [Wii]
- Legasista [PSP]
- Mystic Chronicle [PSP]
- Pier Solar [Misc]
- Rainbow Moon [PS3]
- Shining Tears [PS2]
- Unchained Blades [PSP]

I've got a few of those but, the only one I've played is Rainbow Moon.

I'd give it a 7/10, or so...add a point if you don't mind old-school type RPG's and a bit of necessary grinding here & there -and- subtract a point if you can't stand those kinds of things.

One of my favorite games, with my favorite battle system...Ever is a iF/CH==>NISA game called Cross Edge -but- a lot of their games are of the "Love em or hate em" type and they're known for their Steep learning curves, high/challenging difficulty, and True Ends that are Truly impossible to get w/o following a guide!

I tried Rainbow Moon again recently and what turned me off is the S-L-O-W pace at which you seem to gain xp/level up. At least early on - does that improve once you get into the game?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 10:24:15 am »
yeah, it improves exponentially as you go.

I think your complaint is a legitimate one, though ==> aimed at getting people (early in the game) to buy DLC to negate that slow accumulation  :-\
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 03:11:59 pm »
The only one I've played on this list is Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled (aka "The Canadian Chrono Trigger") for DS. I waited for what seemed like forever for that game to come out, back when it was still called "Project Exile". It's not a bad game. The graphics really are strikingly similar to Chrono Trigger (though NOT ripping from it, as some have accused). The writing is also pretty good.

What kills it is the excessive random battles. I grew up on old-school RPGs, so random encounters don't typically bother me. But when the fights take over two minutes each, and quite often you'll hit ANOTHER fight after a single step, it does wear on you after awhile.

Occasionally a bug can cause the game to freeze as well. In my playthrough, it happened twice.

Overall though, I'd say give it a shot. It's like a lost Super Nintendo game.

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 03:19:13 pm »
Thanks for the input so far, everyone. Managed to get things trimmed down a fair bit, especially among the PSP stuff :)

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 10:01:02 pm »
Baroque is odd. It's definitely a diamond in the rough. It's a dungeon crawler type of game with only one dungeon, one really deep dungeon. That's not a bad thing, they actually do it rather well. It's not an easy game, when you die you lose everything you had gained. As remake of a Saturn/Playstation game it does show its age.  It's fun enough, it can be awkward to control though. If you can find it cheap give it a whirl.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 02:52:50 am »
Shining Tears on the PS2 was all right...  Combat is real-time action.  Kind of felt Dynasty Warriors-esque because you're in a battlefield with groups of enemies.  Difference is that you get to perform combos with certain partners that you choose before entering the battlefield or have them be support.  (Do new Dynasty Warriors games have this?  Only played up to Dynasty Warriors 4.  Sorry.)

I think it's a decent game anyway.  Looking at your PS2 wish list only, I think Ring Of Red, Shinobi or Stella Deus: The Gate Of Eternity are more worthwhile to pursue than Shining Tears.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 05:30:48 am »
I think it's a decent game anyway.  Looking at your PS2 wish list only, I think Ring Of Red, Shinobi or Stella Deus: The Gate Of Eternity are more worthwhile to pursue than Shining Tears.[/font]

I used to own Stella Deus, actually. Sold it a few years back, partially because the voice acting is awful, but I kinda want to give it another chance. I blame the Shigenori Soejima artwork.

abe

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 09:24:13 am »
I just remembered that Baroque is also on the PS2. No need to buy it on the Wii if you'd rather not. I have the Wii version, but I have no idea if it plays any differently than the PS2 version. That might be because I haven't played it yet. :P
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)