Author Topic: Smash Bros!  (Read 1647 times)

Smash Bros!
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:46:29 pm »
The Nintendo Direct was today and it seems like they are putting a ton of stuff into the game.  A number of very cool things that you can read about here...

http://www.destructoid.com/all-the-smash-bros-wii-u-facts-differences-from-3ds-version-282973.phtml

-You start with 40 playable characters on the Wii U, though there are some left locked.

-The game looks better in HD with all that resolution. And the screen size also allows for eight-player Smash, which is a special mode restricted to particular stages and offline play. There's some giant stages, like Palutena's Temple, Hyrule Temple, and an expanded Battlefield to host multiple fighters. Five- and six-player fights don't seem to have the same restrictions, while seven-player fights are missing.

-There's also a giant new stage with instant kill sections and a Donkey Kong stage with foreground and background bits of stage, both of which can be fought in. Of course, the Wii U version features more stages, some of which are laid out differently than the 3DS ones. Some old favorites return along side some new ones (Windy Hill Zone, Mario Circuit, 75m, Wii Fit Studio, Norfair, Onett, etc).

-The Miiverse stage, which will come after release, gathers up Miiverse posts about whichever fighters are playing in the background of a Battlefield sort of stage.

A lot of the 3DS modes, save Smash Run, are playable, often with changes and multiplayer options. Target Blast is up to four player with a larger second bomb. There's two-player co-op or four-player turn-taking Home Run Contests. Trophy Rush is two player now as well, while Multi Man can be played by four players. And there are so many new, HD trophies.

Ridley will join the battle on his stage. Beat him up and he'll fight for you. Keep beating him up and score a point for KO'ing him.

-In addition to time and stock, coin battles are back. There are also stamina matches where your hit points count down to zero. Special Smash is back, too, with all sorts of rule customization. Change speed, player size, all that good stuff. And you can mix and match. Item Frequency and the ability to turn individual items on and off are back, too.

-You can customize what music plays during battle or menus. There's about four times as much music on Wii U as there is in the 3DS version.

-Classic Mode now allows for two-player co-op--good for getting two trophies at a time--and your battle advancement is based on how well you fought your previous match. Rivalries and other random events happen as well. All-Star Mode now works in a reverse chronological order and there's a new rest area. It's also playable with two players.

-As mentioned, Event Mode is back as well, beyond the expanded Challenges. Two-player event battles have their own section. One other solo mode, Special Orders, has you taking tickets from Master and Crazy Hand in increasingly difficult scenarios. There's also Master Fortress, a new form the Master Core shadow swarm can take.

-A Smash Run-inspired, four-player board game called Smash Tour is basically Mario Party with Miis. You're still trying to gain power-ups, but you're also collecting characters. The final battle affords you 1 stock for every character you've collected, in order.

-There is also a Masterpieces mode which lets you play bits of old-school NES/SNES games that Smash characters appear in. Think of the NES carts in Animal Crossing with time limits that encourage you to buy the applicable game from the eShop if you're having too much fun. I expect to play a lot of these snap shots.

-Of course you can use a lot of controllers for Smash Wii U, including the GameCube controller if you have an adapter. The video also recommends a Wii Ethernet LAN adapter for smooth online play. Voice chat is cut off during online battles, but possible at character select.

-There's also a photo mode that lets you stage your trophies and take cool snaps, which will later be distributable online. Online tournament hosting is being worked out still, but regular 64-player tournaments are possible.

-With the GamePad, you can also draw your own custom stages, which is going to be sweet as heck.

-Oh, and Mewtwo is coming next year if you register the 3DS and Wii U versions.

Tons of cool stuff in the game.  So much to do really.  Mewtwo also shows there is likely to be DLC for the game.  I'm cool with that, even a season pass for the game as Nintendo has shown they make sure to put in a lot of value into them so far with the likes of Hyrule Warriors and Mario Kart 8.  I could see them adding new levels, characters, trophies, and challenges.

pacpix

Re: Smash Bros!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 12:41:56 am »
I am really interested to see how eight player smash is.  Looks like a lot of fun!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 12:53:17 am »
I am really interested to see how eight player smash is.  Looks like a lot of fun!

Looked crazy.  I feel like it'll sort of have the same problem I had with the 3DS game being too small, especially when it zooms out, but as a party mode with a bunch of friends, it could be pretty fun once in awhile before going back to the more manageable 4 player mode lol

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 01:13:32 am »

Looked crazy.  I feel like it'll sort of have the same problem I had with the 3DS game being too small, especially when it zooms out, but as a party mode with a bunch of friends, it could be pretty fun once in awhile before going back to the more manageable 4 player mode lol
I've just been waiting excitingly for the wii u version because I know that with that blu-ray space gives triple the amount of storage from Brawl and will give us a ton of goodies. I knew that 3ds was going to be the inferior version because of 4gb of cartidge doesn't have too much, but at least I can play with all of my friends with 3DS's. This Wii U version is going to be the best version to get, though.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 03:13:20 am »

I've just been waiting excitingly for the wii u version because I know that with that blu-ray space gives triple the amount of storage from Brawl and will give us a ton of goodies. I knew that 3ds was going to be the inferior version because of 4gb of cartidge doesn't have too much, but at least I can play with all of my friends with 3DS's. This Wii U version is going to be the best version to get, though.

I passed on the 3DS version cause I knew it was going to be much more limited and I wouldn't like playing it with the small buttons and screen...and I was right lol Played at a small event with some people and while it is playable, I really didn't like playing it on the 3DS.  Wouldn't be any better on my 2DS.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 06:17:41 am »
Im really impressed with the new Stage Builder. Being able to basically draw out any shapes you want is cool.  I was scared for a while that there wasn't going to be one.

Eight players will be interesting. Glad they made a few extra huge levels for it, because otherwise it would have been impossible to play.

Smash tour sounds like it could be fun too. Smash Run + Mario Party?

I was hoping they would have annouced more DLC fighters, but Mewtwo is a good start.

argyle

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:04:25 am »
I've been on the fence about picking this up, mainly because it will mostly be a single-player affair for me. But after the announcements yesterday, it sounds like there will be more than enough single player content to keep me busy. :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 12:02:47 pm »
4 Weeks From Today.  I can't wait.  I've had a ton of fun with the 3DS version.  I'm ready for more.

bobster

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 01:27:37 pm »
That video actually convinced me I need that game asap. I usually wait on these things  ???
Currently Playing: The Witcher

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 02:18:55 pm »
That video actually convinced me I need that game asap. I usually wait on these things  ???

Whoever came up with that video needs a raise, The Nobel Prize, and whatever the advertising version of an Oscar is.  That was great. 

bobster

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 02:22:59 pm »

Whoever came up with that video needs a raise, The Nobel Prize, and whatever the advertising version of an Oscar is.  That was great.
Yes they do. Also, bless the person who came up with the idea of offering a free amiibo as preorder at Toys r us. Definitely a good gateway to drag people in.

I'm officially invested now lol. Hopefully the free shipping they offered doesn't come to bite me in the ass waiting for it while everyone is already enjoying it.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

spac316

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 02:45:37 pm »
That was a great video and makes me more hyped to get the game. I already have my copy pre-ordered!

krelyan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 05:13:01 pm »
Thanks for linking that video.  I was already pretty excited for the game but a lot of these new features look phenomenal.  Smash Tour especially looks pretty sweet (I thought Smash mode was pretty weak on 3DS).  This probably just overtook Persona Q as my most anticipated title for the year.

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PS4), Fire Emblem Fates, The Witness (PS4), Puzzle & Dragons (Mobile)

argyle

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 06:46:56 am »
I actually think I'm going to go back on what I said a little while back & get the bundle pack after all. It does suck that the GC controllers only work with Smash, but that could change. More importantly tho, even tho me having people over to play will be a rare occurrence it will happen occasionally, and getting the bundle will be far cheaper than buying more Wii U controllers - and it will be more appealing to everyone playing that making some people use the wiimote or whatever.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

cobraseph

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 12:37:39 pm »
Our girls are crazy for this game. they still go hardcore siblings thunder dome on SMBB lolz. this time mom and i are going to impart some parental justice around... hehehe and with those TV ads every half hour we hear them yelling on their rooms
(WE GONNA SETTLE THAT IN SMASH!!) xD kids are hilarious.