Author Topic: Do you have games that don't consider a part of your collection?  (Read 3581 times)

Warmsignal

Either you don't recognize it as a part, or have not cataloged?

I have quite a few, and for different reasons. Sometimes if I find an incomplete game, say for instance, when I found my $1 copy of Silent Hill disc only. Great game, but, until has a case I pretend it doesn't exist.  :P

In other cases, there's some obscure stuff I never cataloged because I just didn't want to go digging it all out, like my Atari, Coleco and Vectex stuff. So even though I consider that stuff in my collection, it's not cataloged.  :-X

Other times there are just games I wish I had never bought, shovelware crap I accumulated when I first started, that I purposely leave out. Banished from the collection!  ;)

Then there's just stuff I forgot I had, and never added it to my page  - not too long ago, I remembered I had found a couple of CIB SNES games back in 2004ish, before I got big into collecting - one of which, was none other than Castlevania IV. Still haven't added that one! ;D Then there's some games I trashed picked and haven't decided if I want them, or not.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:14:34 pm by Warmsignal »

Re: Do you have games that don't consider a part of your collection?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »
Every game and video game related piece is technically part of my collection, however here are some things that I don't catalog:

- doubles
- some imports (most of this is just that I need to add them to the database, but have been to lazy too)
- consoles
- controllers and accessories
- statues and action figures
- posters
- magazines and guides

If I did catalog this stuff I'd probably be around 3000 items in my collection. I like my collect count to just include games I own, it's just a personal quark I guess.

abe

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 03:29:45 pm »
I don't consider crappy sports games and really terrible licensed games part of my collection. I'm not even sure why I own some of them. ???
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 03:30:15 pm »
Every game and video game related piece is technically part of my collection, however here are some things that I don't catalog:

- doubles
- some imports (most of this is just that I need to add them to the database, but have been to lazy too)
- consoles
- controllers and accessories
- statues and action figures
- posters
- magazines and guides

If I did catalog this stuff I'd probably be around 3000 items in my collection. I like my collect count to just include games I own, it's just a personal quark I guess.

That's a good point, I only catalog games too. I'm not a console collector, really. I don't need CIB, mint consoles or anything. I don't even collect much game related merch, either.

davifus

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 04:29:17 pm »
>Loose common titles (Discs)
> ANYTHING WITH SMOKE ODOR. WRAP THAT SHIZZ IN DRY SHEET AND LOCK IT UP FOREVER AND DECIDE IF I SHOULD BURN IT OR SELL IT.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

kevininja

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 05:10:15 pm »
>Loose common titles (Discs)
> ANYTHING WITH SMOKE ODOR. WRAP THAT SHIZZ IN DRY SHEET AND LOCK IT UP FOREVER AND DECIDE IF I SHOULD BURN IT OR SELL IT.
Or microwave it and sell it as 'art'
http://www.sticktwiddlers.com/2012/08/21/guy-microwaves-3ds-xl-tries-to-sell-it-on-ebay-for-2000/

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 05:36:43 pm »
I only list physical games (other than my downloaded Wizardry games) and have gone through my collection and deleted things like magazines, consoles, toys, etc.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 05:39:59 pm »
I used to be physical games only but that has changed, I also don't consider merch, controllers and extra stuff part of my actual collection

cobraseph

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 06:14:06 pm »
i don't count doubles.. and i have many of those if you take a look at my VG collection and selling list. almost everyone of them i got from buying my friends collections. they stop gaming so they sold me.. i wasn't interested in them but i tho (why not?) and it also helped them with needed $. also i do not count 3rd party stuff like controls and stuff like headsets and cooling units. the only 3rd party item that i count are the guides. i got a couple of those systems that are retro styles like the atari that has like 60 ingames.. and the system that is for playing nes,snes and genesis games..

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 09:02:07 pm »
Games I don't consider part of my collection (Nintendo and Sony) I own a few DS and GBA games (mother 1&2, FF tactics, and some other import games I got while in Japan). I also own a PSP with a few games. But, I don't consider myself a Nintendo collector. I consider those souvenirs in a lot of ways. The PSP I got to watch movies on the train, but picked up a few games.

These could easily become part of my collection though. I have tossed around becoming a Nintendo portable collector. I also have thought about collecting all SEGA games for PSP.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 09:17:42 pm »
Basically all my digital games.  I have something like 200 games in my library on Steam, but I don't count those for my collection, since they aren't a physical item.

I also don't count most of the physical PC games I have.  I have a CD binder full of loose discs cause I thought that was a great idea years ago (Saves space, sucks for collecting to not have the boxes lol), so I don't count those ones though I probably have a couple dozen games in there.  I actually keep an eye out for those games when I'm out thrifting so that I can get them boxed and then add them to my collection properly.

I would also say anything disk related I don't have the case for. I have a couple Gamecube games in a case that I don't have boxes or manuals, so i don't count them.  I count loose cartridges though.

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 10:46:27 pm »
I also don't include digital games and content, forgot to include that.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 02:55:24 am »
If I paid for it, or fully own it, it's a part of my collection.

The only stuff I don't consider are demos and temporary titles like PSN freebies on the PS3, PS4, and Vita.  Once that subscription is gone, so are those games, so they are not part of my collection.

argyle

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 09:34:52 am »
Tho I always buy physical games whenever there's the option, my digital games were probably the first thing I cataloged here. The console guys still don't have a good system like Steam to show you everything you own, so it's easy to forget you have something.

Probably the only things I don't catalog/count are PC games, because I consider myself a console gamer/collector.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 10:29:21 am »
I  don't count doubles or label variations unless it's really different. For example I don't consider text labels and picture labels for 2600 games as different but weirdly, I will count obscure label variations such as zellers pinball or a taiwan cooper popeye cart even though they are the exact same game as the 2600 original.

Also, even though I have them cataloged here, I don't consider any of my modern stuff as part of my collection such as wii, ps3, or ds - to me they're still too new to be part of my retro collection but a few years down the road, they'll probably end up there.