Author Topic: Thanks, but I think I'll pass...  (Read 2706 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Thanks, but I think I'll pass...
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:10:08 pm »
So, since I've begun yard saling, thrifting, and flea marketing I've come across some golden oldies, oddities, and items of intrigue.

We already have a thread to catalog the finds that come home with us. But I thought it might be fun to start a thread for the stuff that doesn't come home with us that's still discussion worthy.

Also tell us why you passed it up. Not your thing? You didn't have the money? They wanted too much?

Maybe we convince you to go back for it.

Maybe you passed on something one of us wants.

Maybe we all applaud your decision.

To start us off here's a Mr. T plush I saw and passed up at Goodwill this week.

I passed because although I am a fan of Mr T I have way too many stuffed/plush animals already.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 09:13:17 pm by dashv »

Re: Thanks, but I think I'll pass...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »
A while back, my main thrift shop had a Sega Master System bundle, complete, no box, with like a half dozen to a dozen games.  I think they were asking 160 or something for it, I don't remember exactly.  Depending on the games prices, it might've been a reasonable deal generally, but it was simply too pricey for me to get and something I'm not very interested in.  It was pushing game store prices I feel and I don't like that when it comes to unreliable thrift shops.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 10:38:47 pm »
Is this silly shit we see or stuff we wanted but passed up?

P.S. I'd have bought the Mr. T plushie. That thing is awesome. 

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:03:59 pm »
I went by a goodwill last week and they were trying to sell a complete gamecube in the box for $40. I passed after asking the employees for just the box, and they said they couldn't split it up much to my dismay. I also passed on a xbox 360 with the cords in some ziploc bag for $80, since given how many problems the units have and how goodwill won't check to see if these items worked, I ignored it.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:24:28 pm »
Most of my pass items were because of them being overpriced, and here are the worst offenders:

An old lady who occasionaly sells stuff at my local flea market had some common, loose NES games, the most valuable being Ducktales. She wanted $25 each for them, except  the Mario titles, they were $40 each

Went to a garage sale that was advertised on Craigslist several years ago. Some guy about my age was selling his SNES games from when he was a kid. He had some really good stuff, a lot of the must have titles, only problem were his prices: $60 for Zelda ALTP, $80 for Super Metroid, and $100 for Final Fantasy III. . .yeah, no thanks.

Around the time Goodwill started getting really greedy with their games, one store in my area decided to try their hand at overpricing within the store. They wanted $100 for a used original XBOX WITH NO CORDS! They also had a copy of .Hack GU 2 for $70.

The worst was a kiosk they had set up at a mall in my area last holiday season that was selling retro games; I shit you not, they wanted $500 for a loose Conker's Bad Fur Day. I seriously started laughing, it was too ridiculous to even be angry at.

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 01:11:32 am »
As I stated in the obscure Wii game thread, recently passed up Castle of Shikigami for $8. Someone had turned in a batch of desirable Wii games at GS, but all of them were disgusting, yellow, smelly and none had manuals.  :(

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 01:34:05 am »
This thread isn't meant to replace the "ones that got away thread" that thread is for "man I wish I would have gotten blah blah blah". That's more of a regrets thread.

My intention was more "here's something interesting I came across but wasn't interested in enough to take home." No real remorse or regrets. Just interesting discussion fodder.

Stories like the $160 Master System Bundle and the $100 Xbox is what I was going for. That's crazy to be sure. I just picked up a bare xbox console +video cable for $7 today.

That makes 5 original xboxes I now have.

I'm thinking I am going to have them each painted by an artist in the theme of Scott Pilgrim. Each one will be a different one of his x's and together they will be my 7 Evil Xboxes.

Or hopefully someone will want to trade something for one of them.

Each one I take apart. Thoroughly clean. Replace the harddrive with a newer, bigger, faster one and ensure the DVD drive still works properly.

After that I upgrade them to the last system software released and softmod.

And I backup all the info needed to replace the harddrive in case the one inside it ever dies.

Anyway. Make of this topic whatever you guys want. :) Here's another thing I passed on:

Time Crisis 2 for Playstation. At 3 dollars it seemed like a steal. Until I looked at the disk and saw it looked like it had been scrapped across the floor.

I also passed on this empty Spider-Man 2 GBA box for $3

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:11:50 am by dashv »

argyle

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 05:55:38 am »
When I was at my local retro store on Friday the guy showed me some Emmerson Arcadia games he had gotten. He wasn't talking like he wanted much for them, I didn't ask what exactly because it just isn't the kind of thing I collect. He had 3, 2 CIB & one in just a blue pastic tray. He actually gave me the loose one, it's Breakaway. Forgot what the other 2 are, but they even had some kind of little overlays in them that I guess go in the controllers? Anyway, if anyone is interested I can check out what he wants for the other 2 and I really have no interest in hanging onto the one he gave me - again, just not the kind of thing I collect. :)

15627906641_c2acb8661c_o
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

karyann

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:08:42 am »
I'm thinking I am going to have them each painted by an artist in the theme of Scott Pilgrim. Each one will be a different one of his x's and together they will be my 7 Evil Xboxes.

Hahah oh damn I love this! If you do it, please post pictures, I love Scott Pilgrim  ;D

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 01:24:54 pm »

Hahah oh damn I love this! If you do it, please post pictures, I love Scott Pilgrim  ;D

My wife wishes you guys and gals would stop enabling me!

But she's got an insanely huge book collection I say nothing about so it's all good!

Argyle, if you happen to find out what number those other 2 games are let me know. It's on the side of the box. If I am missing them and he doesn't want more than 3-$5 for them I might be interested.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:28:24 pm by dashv »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 01:30:07 pm »
Is this silly shit we see or stuff we wanted but passed up?

P.S. I'd have bought the Mr. T plushie. That thing is awesome.

I can go back for it and trade you for something in my wish list if you want. Let me know.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 03:06:44 pm »
Actually came across something today I thought was kinda nifty, but I just don't have room for things like this and it was pretty clearly missing some things and wasn't in the best condition, even for two bucks, but I thought it was cool lol

argyle

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 03:11:23 pm »

My wife wishes you guys and gals would stop enabling me!

But she's got an insanely huge book collection I say nothing about so it's all good!

Argyle, if you happen to find out what number those other 2 games are let me know. It's on the side of the box. If I am missing them and he doesn't want more than 3-$5 for them I might be interested.

Missed this earlier, but I'll do it. I may just grab them regardless if they're in that price range, because I imagine someone here will want them.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 07:16:14 pm »
Saw a boxed Atari 2600 complete with the joysticks and paddle-controllers. At Goodwill of all places, in that condition. They wanted $50. Not a bad deal at all. But considering I just got rid of my Atari 2600 because I hadn't touched it in years, I passed.

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 07:18:59 pm »
A PSOne system with all cables, two pads, one memory card, Cool Boarders 4 (GH), Soul Blade (GH), Tomorrow Never Dies, and Dragon Ball Z Final Bout PS The Best (JP, which implied the console was modded) for $15. A damn good price, I could've made back my investment selling the games alone... but I had to pass since I'm pretty broke at the moment.