Author Topic: Me stoopid, have questions  (Read 1613 times)

Me stoopid, have questions
« on: October 26, 2014, 12:59:11 am »
Hello fellow gamer folks.  I've been adding my collection as time permits, but I've found quite a bit that is NOT listed, so I've been taking pics with my phone and adding them as I see them.  Is there a limit to how much I upload?  Are there guidelines to what/how much I can edit?  I don't want to be happily posting all kinds of new content (mostly old strategy guides), and end up getting bludgeoned by a ban hammer!  On that note, if any of the admins wish me to add additional info they think I can provide (pics, barcodes, whatever), feel free to ask and I'll do what I can as time permits  ;D.  Thanks again for the amazing site to whoever keeps it rocking.  I can't wait to see where it ends up as more is done to it!!!

retromangia

PRO Supporter

Re: Me stoopid, have questions
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 02:05:22 am »
Hey bud, welcome to the site.  Thanks for posting all the new entry's.. it's very appreciated by all the other members.  I find that the site is still missing quite a few strategy guides.  I can save you some time and effort though... when you go to submit a new entry, try first going to google images for a picture of your strategy guide.  9 times out of 10 you can find a really nice looking picture.

thanks again,
Retro

argyle

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:11:50 am »
Hey bud, welcome to the site.  Thanks for posting all the new entry's.. it's very appreciated by all the other members.  I find that the site is still missing quite a few strategy guides.  I can save you some time and effort though... when you go to submit a new entry, try first going to google images for a picture of your strategy guide.  9 times out of 10 you can find a really nice looking picture.

thanks again,
Retro

I agree with this. I added a ton of guides earlier this year myself, and I found images online of probably 95% of them. If possible, a scan of the item or an official PR image is preferred over photos. Regardless always happy to see someone adding to the site - my personal next undertaking is going to be my soundtracks. That should be interesting. ;)

Welcome to the site!
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

karyann

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:31:24 am »
Hi and welcome!

I just wanted to add that when you submit an item, please refer to the style guide for title formatting: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,22.0.html

Other than that, for missing informations, other members can request edits (you can do that too when you find a game that misses informations that you have) that will later be reviewed by admins.

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:31:28 am »
Hello fellow gamer folks.  I've been adding my collection as time permits, but I've found quite a bit that is NOT listed, so I've been taking pics with my phone and adding them as I see them.  Is there a limit to how much I upload?  Are there guidelines to what/how much I can edit?  I don't want to be happily posting all kinds of new content (mostly old strategy guides), and end up getting bludgeoned by a ban hammer!  On that note, if any of the admins wish me to add additional info they think I can provide (pics, barcodes, whatever), feel free to ask and I'll do what I can as time permits  ;D.  Thanks again for the amazing site to whoever keeps it rocking.  I can't wait to see where it ends up as more is done to it!!!

Hi and Welcome

I'm not a moderator or admin of any kind that's affiliated with this, just a member like yourself, adding the stuff that is missing to the database. But i saw yesterday that you added (at least) 2 games with cell phone pictures to the databse. These were already in the databse

==============
Oracle of Seasons

http://vgcollect.com/item/5249 (old & CORRECT) ----> http://vgcollect.com/item/70408 (new & DOUBLE)

Oracle of Ages

http://vgcollect.com/item/5248 (old & CORRECT) ----> http://vgcollect.com/item/70407 (new & DOUBLE)
=============

I think it's better to check with the seacrh function whether your new entries are already actually in the databse before adding them as new. Had that on first hand experience. No worries about a ban or loosing those entries (they just get merged to the older one)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:50:51 am by kam1kaz3nl77 »

Upcoming Pre-orders:

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:16:37 am »
*Protips* For newer members / Members new to submissions, edits, additions, etc.

- Like Karyann said above, DO be sure to give that "Style Guide" a read, and -

* Much more importantly, helpful, and time-saving; IMO however, is - at least until you gain some more proficiency & confidence with how everything works here...do the following Before! actually adding & submitting anything:

*ONE* Go to the site's "HOME" Page,

*TWO* Click-on / Choose the "BROWSE" option,

*THREE* Select the system, game, category, etc for what you're looking to add,

*FOUR*  Scroll through/down the pages (all alphabetical) to ascertain that this item is / is not already in our database...if not, go ahead & move on to "Submit New Item", and have at it, and lastly

*FIVE* If you do *rarely* screw up and add a duplicate...it's not the end of the world - All of us have fucked things up -BUT- the "Take-Away" here is to find out how & where you went wrong (ask any mod, admin, and/or older and regular members here if you don't understand something); learn from, remember, and do your best not to repeat the same mistakes -AND- be sure to make a post in the "Duplicate Listings" thread if & when you come across anything w/ multiple entries for the same item, or...even if you just caught yourself mistakenly adding a dupe of something, so they can be merged/weeded-out! ;D   

Happy Trails ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 06:30:36 pm »
A note when adding items: Make sure that it's not already in the database and that it's not an alternate version or edition.

I just sent you a PM about this. I had no idea that there were two strategy guides made for that particular game - one for the PC version and one for the PS2 version. Camera photos are fine, they can be replaced later on.

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 03:33:37 pm »
I wanted to point out that sometimes you can't find the game you are looking for by using the search bar. The reason is likely due to syntax formatting, such as not using the colon or hyphen (or whatever) in the search. So if you feel you have a common game that SHOULD be in the database, do a custom search with Google using the site dork. For example.

This search:
http://vgcollect.com/search/star+wars+renegade+squadron

Brings zero results. Type this into google:

site:vgcollect.com/item star wars renegade squadron

Yields 2 results.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 01:00:00 pm »

thanks again,
Retro

I didn't even think of this until after I had posted all that I did. Sorry about that :-(.  I'll look up pics for the rest. Gotta love the internets, you can find pics of anything.... just be careful you don't burn your retinas in the process!

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 01:01:37 pm »

Hi and Welcome

I'm not a moderator or admin of any kind that's affiliated with this, just a member like yourself, adding the stuff that is missing to the database. But i saw yesterday that you added (at least) 2 games with cell phone pictures to the databse. These were already in the databse

==============
Oracle of Seasons

http://vgcollect.com/item/5249 (old & CORRECT) ----> http://vgcollect.com/item/70408 (new & DOUBLE)

Oracle of Ages

http://vgcollect.com/item/5248 (old & CORRECT) ----> http://vgcollect.com/item/70407 (new & DOUBLE)
=============

I think it's better to check with the seacrh function whether your new entries are already actually in the databse before adding them as new. Had that on first hand experience. No worries about a ban or loosing those entries (they just get merged to the older one)

Apologies once again.  I was shocked that I couldn't find those 2 titles when I entered them.  Sorry for the mix up.  I've had mostly good luck using the search engine on here, but for some reason I had trouble finding those. But you live and learn :-).  I know better for next time! Thanks!!!

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 01:06:39 pm »
And just a random thanks to all the others who took the time to offer up suggestions/comments/help to me.  It's appreciated :-).  I'll do my best to try to keep things more along the guidelines in the future.  Thank God I only have a handful of things left to put in. Just another 50-100 guides and I should be done. The rest of my collection is in.  BUT... (I put a big but and I cannot lie), Should I bother putting in random VG related junk/swag/"wtf is this anyway" on this site? Or just stick with actual games and guides?  Example: I have some weird sport ball shaped Dreamcast memory cards and lord knows how many posters, wall scrolls, standees, promo items, etc.  It would certainly take longer to get them on here, but if there is a need/want for such items I'm all for it. Thank again everyone :-).

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 01:20:17 pm »
And just a random thanks to all the others who took the time to offer up suggestions/comments/help to me.  It's appreciated :-).  I'll do my best to try to keep things more along the guidelines in the future.  Thank God I only have a handful of things left to put in. Just another 50-100 guides and I should be done. The rest of my collection is in.  BUT... (I put a big but and I cannot lie), Should I bother putting in random VG related junk/swag/"wtf is this anyway" on this site? Or just stick with actual games and guides?  Example: I have some weird sport ball shaped Dreamcast memory cards and lord knows how many posters, wall scrolls, standees, promo items, etc.  It would certainly take longer to get them on here, but if there is a need/want for such items I'm all for it. Thank again everyone :-).

I'd say that'd be up to you.  I've put up a few things for swag, like a themed stylus for the 3DS, plushies, watches.  But sometimes the term is still pretty subjective.  This might be a good thread to skim through:  http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1862.0.html

Also, browse through what's already listed in the swag category.  But whether you want to catalog them or not is up to you.  Some people really like having everything covered while others prefer it not to clutter up their game collection page.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:22:15 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas