Author Topic: if you had to sell off parts of your collection. . .  (Read 4015 times)

if you had to sell off parts of your collection. . .
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:23:01 am »
how would you prioritize what you'd sell?

Thank goodness I haven't been in a financial position since 2009 where I've had to do this, but it is still something I consider if some emergency came up. Here is a list of what I'd let go in order, starting with stuff in my collection that I'm least attached to, to stuff that I'm really attached to and would only sell if everything else before it went first and I really, really needed to.

1. Extra controllers and console accessories
2. Multiplat duplicates ( example: have 4 ports of Resident Evil 2, and both the Genesis and SNES versions of Shadowrun, would keep best/favorite version and sell the rest). Also console duplicates.
3. Many of my guides and art books
4. My Sega CD and Neo Geo Pocket collections, including consoles
5. 98% of my NES collection (would keep Castlevania titles only)
6. My XBOX 360 and most of the games

. . .this is where it starts getting really tough. . .

7. Many of my handheld collections (PSP, Gameboy, GBA, DS, 3DS)
8. All my vintage gaming magazines
9. My Wii U and games
10. Video game statues and action figures
11. Most of my SNES collection
12. Most of my PS3 and Wii collection
13. Most of my original XBOX and Genesis collections
14. Most of my N64 collection
15. Most of my PS1 collection
16. Most of my PS2 collection
17. Most of my Dreamcast Collection
18. Everything else :(

Kinda depressing thinking about this, but I thought it's make for an interesting topic. Thought it'd be interested to see what other people's selling priorities looked like as well.

maximo310

Re: if you had to sell off parts of your collection. . .
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 01:05:44 am »
I'd sell my stuff off in this order:
1. Extras (duplicates/controllers.acessories,)
2. Strategy guides
3. Art books
4. Game music cds
5. Original Xbox stuff and most of Xbox 360 stuff
6.  most of myGame Boy/ GBC/GBA games
7.  some of N64 games
8.  most of my dreamcast stuff
9.  most of my Playstation 2/3 games
10. most of my ps1 games
11. Most of my wii u stuff
12.  most of nes/snes games
13. Sega saturn stuff
14. my wii collection
15. gamecube collection
16. the rest of the stuff
I hope I won't need to do this ever in my life. I feel like this list will change over time depending on the circumstances,value, and well as personal memories changing around certain spots on the list.

Warmsignal

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 01:27:28 am »
I'll just point out that no financial emergency would make me sell. It's bankruptcy before selling games. No, seriously. ???

But if someone had a gun pulled and said I must do it or else.

I'd have the hardest time selling my DS, PS2, and XBOX collections as a whole, I should say NES too because I've been working really hard on that one this year. Also quite a few of the individual games I had as a kid on various platforms. Would also suck to have to part with my Vectrex, just because I think it's one of the cooler things I've found since I've been on the hunt, and a bit sentimental in that regard.

It would pain me to get rid of anything, well mostly - I could probably part with my Jaguar and it's handful of games and only be slightly annoyed, but the above mentioned would hurt a lot. If it ever actually happened, I'd be done for good. :-\

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 10:48:46 am »
I've thought of this before, it's tough but for me the first stuff to go would be the Neo Geo stuff and on the other side I would never ever get rid of my snes stuff

davifus

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 02:21:06 pm »
I dont think I'll be able to do it. I'll pan handle or something. Anything but my collection. Did you know their is such thing as a pan handling license
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:41:34 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 02:37:09 pm »
My wife and I were talking about something like this last night.  We were in local game store and they were telling about the box of NES stuff someone brought in.  It was the box my Godzilla 2 came out of  8)

Anyway, the dude only wanted $50 for something like 30 games and an NES.  They gave him his full asking price.  Mega Man 1-3 were in there, Godzilla 2, and Contra were all in this $50 box. 

We've seen people sell stuff for $5 in a pawn shop just to go by a pack of cigarettes.  How broke would I have to be to sell games?  I would do without food before I sold anything.  If we both lost our jobs, selling off my collection might float us for a few months; but it's taken years to amass it.  It wouldn't be worth it.  We can sell jewelry and antiques that we've picked up along the way.  It's not a real collection.  They're worth more than this stuff anyway.  It's just pretty stuff  on a shelf.  ;)

Edit: I guess I need to answer the question.
1) Pre-NES stuff
2) PS2
3) PS1
4) Xbox
5) PS3
6) Xbox 360

Then I starve.  Realistically, I'm picking up cans and looking for manual labor way before we get to this point.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:42:16 pm by turf »

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 02:55:53 pm »
My wife and I were talking about something like this last night.  We were in local game store and they were telling about the box of NES stuff someone brought in.  It was the box my Godzilla 2 came out of  8)

Anyway, the dude only wanted $50 for something like 30 games and an NES.  They gave him his full asking price.  Mega Man 1-3 were in there, Godzilla 2, and Contra were all in this $50 box.

Sounds like a pretty crappy thing for a game store to do, with the whole giving the guy a fraction of the value of his stuff and not even telling him he's got a couple of games in it worth what he's asking alone. I bet they then priced each of the games according to eBay value? Maybe plus some on top?

I'm sure a lot of "game stores" do this, but I think it's really crappy for them to do. I know our local retro store will do this to anyone, even regular customers who they know can't be taken.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:58:47 pm by Warmsignal »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 03:19:47 pm »

Sounds like a pretty crappy thing for a game store to do, with the whole giving the guy a fraction of the value of his stuff and not even telling him he's got a couple of games in it worth what he's asking alone. I bet they then priced each of the games according to eBay value? Maybe plus some on top?

I'm sure a lot of "game stores" do this, but I think it's really crappy for them to do. I know our local retro store will do this to anyone, even regular customers who they know can't be taken.

If the dude wanted $50, I have no problem with them only giving him $50 for it.  I bought Panic Restaurant for $5.  There was no way in hell I was going to go up to the counter and demand that they take $250 for it. 
They didn't rip the dude off.  He got 100% of what he was asking.  It's the same as people I buy games from.  I have no problem giving people a fraction of what things are worth. 
It's up to both parties to be educated about the product.  I'm not going to hold a seller's hand to help them make money.  I'm not going to steal from them, but giving someone way more than what they're asking is just dumb.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 04:02:43 pm »

If the dude wanted $50, I have no problem with them only giving him $50 for it.  I bought Panic Restaurant for $5.  There was no way in hell I was going to go up to the counter and demand that they take $250 for it. 
They didn't rip the dude off.  He got 100% of what he was asking.  It's the same as people I buy games from.  I have no problem giving people a fraction of what things are worth. 
It's up to both parties to be educated about the product.  I'm not going to hold a seller's hand to help them make money.  I'm not going to steal from them, but giving someone way more than what they're asking is just dumb.

I just think it's different if you run a legit business. Ever seen Pawn Stars? Even those guys tell people when their items are worth way more than what they are wanting, and of course they're in the business of making money too.

In the case you describe above the buyer is a game store, so supposedly they are educated in the value of what they deal in or at least know to look into what the value is and make offers accordingly. It's not like Good Will where the manager isn't interested or doesn't care about the market value of donated items, or a yard sale where a bunch of random stuff just needs to be sold and done with. But it sounds like the guy just glanced in the box, saw valuable stuff, and said "sure buddy!". That's kind of crappy. Again, wouldn't be crappy in any other instance of buying or selling, other than a legitimate games store, IMO. I just think in that case, it's a bit more unethical.  ???

Most people who bring games to these places go in with a bunch and ask "what will you give me for these?", in which case the store owner must respond with a straight face and try not to insult the person with a lowball. If someone brings in a NWC official cart and says "can I please get $10 for this?", and store owner gives them $10, that's pretty lousy of them.

abe

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 06:17:49 pm »
That would be a tough choice to make. If I had to, the shooters would probably be the first to go. The JRPGs, limited editions, and imports would be left untouched I had to sell a bunch of games.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

sin2beta

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:47 pm »
I'd be doing other things before it got to this point, but here goes:

(First actions at the top, last actions at the bottom)
Non collection items (Nintendo, Sony)
Macintosh Computer Collection (not really a collection. Just my old computers.)
Atari Collection
Xbox
XBox 360
Saturn
SEGA CD/32x
SG-1000
Master System
Game Gear
Dreamcast
Genesis

This definitely states that the Genesis is my favorite.  8)
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 11:45:11 pm »
Lets just say I hope it never comes to this... I think I would struggle before I sold anything.. It took me for a long time to get what I got with the little money that I have to spend on this hobby... I just hope it never comes to it.. :)

pacpix

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 01:59:57 am »
I would probably sell some of my more expensive games like Wayne's World on NES, but I would package it with all of my Genesis sports games so I could open up some shelf space :P
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 01:31:26 pm »

Amen to that, preach on brother Turf  ;D

There is absolutely *nothing* wrong w/ paying someone who's asking $50 for something...well, $50  :o

I don't know what's caused such an influx & veritable flood of the lack of common sense, these days  :-\

Hell, he's lucky the store didn't do (what most stores would do) & counter-offer him $20 or $30 instead.

He, obviously, got the $50 number from somewhere...he wasn't an old lady hoping to get $5 to $10 for a box of worthless, old plastic she'd found in her basement  :P

I mean - I'm not unethical and/or the type to take advantage of or prey on others --but-- I'm also not stupid, saintly, nor mathematically-challenged enough to *insist* that someone take more money than they're asking me for, either  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

karyann

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 06:05:10 pm »
Pretty hard question, hmm... I guess that, like already mentioned, it's not really worth selling years of hard work for only a few weeks of food. But if I reaaaally had to...

1. Game Gear + games
2. Some games that are worth a lot by themselves and that I own just because I got them for cheap
3. Common games that have a value of at least $20 (to make it worth selling while being able to buy it back eventually)

And probably nothing more. I'd part ways with some specific games, but I don't think I own any system (apart from the Game Gear) that I'd be okay with getting rid of my whole library for (does that sentence even make sense  ??? ).