Author Topic: Just how many people have Collections on here anyway?  (Read 1535 times)

Just how many people have Collections on here anyway?
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:26:12 pm »
So, this would probably be an Admin question: any clue how many people currently have their lifeblood listed on here?  I notice when I add an item to my collection it tells me how many other people have the same item.  Made me curious just how many people have their collections on this site currently.  It would be cool to know just how rare some of my collection might be if only a handful of others had the same item.  Ex: how many hundreds of people have Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt as opposed to Panzer Dragoon Saga?  Thanks!

davifus

Re: Just how many people have Collections on here anyway?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 02:02:55 pm »
There are 11,137 members, so I say about 11,137 and some change. 
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 02:55:11 pm »
It's hard to answer that definitively because, there's an option here - and (apparently:) people who insist on having & making use of it to keep everything related to your collection set to "private" (read: invisible).

Personally, I just don't *get* it...IMO, it's as needless & ridiculous as those who use the "hide" setting to (try to :o) hide their user-name while visiting the site; seriously - wtf's up with that kind of nonsense?!

To each their own, though - I'd rather have someone thinking that they're anonymous & being console(d) (geddit?) by that, than to lose the member.

At any rate, Welcome to VGC!

We also have an "Intro" thread, if you want to say hi!

If you're planning on making use of the ability to submit new items/entries to the database, you should definitely read over our "Style Guide", and

If you have any questions and/or just want somewhere that you'll never need to ask or worry about "is this the right place/thread for ____", then jump right on into the "VGC Anonymous" thread (in the "General" section).

Other than that - simply avoid the soera, never listen to or believe the soera, and...if forced into an unavoidable encounter with the soera, always, Always - and I do mean *Always* Flee...as fast & as far as is possible from the soera, and you'll have a great time here   :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 05:15:47 pm »
Other than that - simply avoid the soera, never listen to or believe the soera, and...if forced into an unavoidable encounter with the soera, always, Always - and I do mean *Always* Flee...as fast & as far as is possible from the soera, and you'll have a great time here   :P

Gasp! The Soera is the greatest thing ever!  8)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 05:24:52 pm »
I am a new member as well, yesterday I finally finished adding all my games I currently have. This forum seem a bit slower(not a lot of posting) compared to other forums I am on. Which is fine, I can read most new post in no time compared to the other forums.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 07:05:47 pm »
Ahhh. Just finished posting my stuff.  Well, except for misc swag and accessories that I'd have to dig through to find everything. The MAIN part of my collection is DONE!  YAY!  I can halfway relax now... until any of the admins request info/pics/etc from me.  If they do I'll certainly try to get the info/pics/etc to put up here as time permits.  I still don't get the whole *private* thing. Who cares who sees your collection?  Just don't be telling everyone you live in the Bronx and your collection should be safe! LOL.  I personally love seeing how many others have the same games and stuff I do. Makes me happy to know I'm not the only one that enjoys certain things :-D.  Although now the challenge is building up, and knocking out a good Wish List! 

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 11:47:24 pm »
I am a new member as well, yesterday I finally finished adding all my games I currently have. This forum seem a bit slower(not a lot of posting) compared to other forums I am on. Which is fine, I can read most new post in no time compared to the other forums.

It's quality over quantity, my brotha. You've stumbled into one of the tightest forums on the interwebs. The people here are so nice (except soera), people think we're all Canadian.  ;)

It is a bit slower and smaller, but you won't find a better community.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 12:06:51 am »
If I had to guess, probably 98% of the people on here collect. But welcome to the site! As Turf said, this is one of the coolest online gaming communities out there. Little to no drama and lots of quality discussions, and a lot of quality collections :)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 12:24:20 am »

It's quality over quantity, my brotha. You've stumbled into one of the tightest forums on the interwebs. The people here are so nice (except soera), people think we're all Canadian.  ;)

Oh I am fine with it, I normally avoid gamer forums, because, well, most gamers are a-holes/troll/fanboys/etc.... but this site is a breath of fresh air. Everyone does seem to be nice and friendly, and everyone is a collector.... A lot of people don't "get it" when it comes to collecting the old stuff..... But clearly this forum understands why we do it....

Good site.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

abe

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 06:58:34 am »

Some of us are Canadian too. :D
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 08:20:42 am »

Some of us are Canadian too. :D

The hell, you say!

Well said, Turf.

With ~99% of us, even when it looks like we're arguing & don't like each other...it's more like sibling rivalry  :P

The sign of a great & mature community?

Folks & friends who can disagree w/o being ass holes!   ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 11:05:59 am »
I went though the user list in the admin panel, and dropped the list into excel. Then sorted it by totals and deleted anyone with a 0 in their collection.

Grand total of users tracking items in their collection is: 9419

I assume that some of the 0s were folks that started an account and haven't' had time to enter things, but I'm sure there are a bunch of spam account in that list as well.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 03:41:24 pm »
Thank you all, especially Mr. Scott.  That is a LOT of collections.  Makes me happy to be in a proud minority here :-).  Also that mostly everyone here IS friendly.  I'm 40 and quite frankly, half the detritus I see (mostly) younger folks putting up on the internet is just rude in it's basest form.  I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I know how to be polite!  No point in discussing something you are passionate about if it's going to decay into bile filled, vomit laden, hate speech.  There is enough of that in the world at large :-(.  Can't we all just get along (LOL)?  Still, It's awesome to have a small but tight community of gamers that take their stuff seriously.  Sad that I found something this awesome so late in my collecting, when I'm to the point of contemplating selling the lot of it since life and circumstances have left me in a bad way and taking care of my child without the mother. But still, hopefully things will get better so I can leave my collection to my kid and my best friend as I had planned in the first place!  Thanks again everyone for all the help and positive chats. It's nice to see some NORMAL (really? normal? LOL) people that can talk like they have a modicum of intelligence wedged between their ears! :-)

P.S. Canadian rocks. Some of the most awesome folks I've met were Canadian. A LOT nicer than many locals I know LOL.