Author Topic: Top 10 Favorite Albums  (Read 3940 times)

Top 10 Favorite Albums
« on: November 15, 2014, 04:06:35 am »
I thought of this the other day and wanted to see what everyone's top 10 favorite albums are. However there are a few rules:

- One album per artist
- No greatest hits compilation albums
- No soundtracks unless it is made up of all original music

Here are my top 10 with why they ended up on my list:

10. New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular - Hooverphonic: This album cracked my list because it is still to this day my favorite album of the Trip-Hop genre, beating out other great albums of the genre like Air’s Moon Safari and Zero 7’s Simple Things. Like no other album I’ve listened to, this record is best enjoyed alone, late at night; it’s vibe is just awesome! Favorite track: Inhaler

9. Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth: Daydream Nation is one of those albums that seems to define a period of my life, specifically my last couple years of college. My life at one point was going to class, studying, going on long bike rides, and listening to bands like Pixies, Melvins, and of course, Sonic Youth. in fact, during this period, I’d say was my biggest musical phase I’ve ever been through, and this album seems to remind me of that time more than any other. And what a record! Favorite Track: Candle

8. Purple - Stone Temple Pilots: One of the first albums I listened to outside the popular Nu Metal craze of the late 90s, and probably one of the most important albums in my appreciation of grunge music, a genre that came and went before my time. I suppose my most vivid memory of this album is listening to it countless times in my walkman on the school bus during my freshman and sophomore years of high school. It also has a ton of great songs, with almost every track being enjoyable to me. By far my favorite STP album and also my favorite grunge record. Favorite Track: Silvergun Superman

7. Becoming X - Sneaker Pimps: While Hooverphonic’s New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular is my favorite Trip Hope album, I owe my introduction to the genre and my subsequent love of it to this album, Becoming X. Kelli Dayton’s vocals are incredible and made almost every track on this record intoxicating to listen to. I also feel like this album really opened me up to more obscure genre’s of music outside the more commercially successful music I had been accustomed to most of my life up until that point. Beyond it’s importance to opening up my musical tastes, it is a great listen to this day! Favorite Track: 6 Underground (Nellee Hooper Edit)

6. The Fragile - Nine Inch Nails: What else can I say other than this album is 23 tracks of some of the best music I have ever heard. I liked Nine Inch Nails prior to this record coming out, but this album made me fall in love with the amazing variety of sounds that Trent Reznor is capable of. Admittedly, I enjoy the harder tracks, but still, this is one of few records where I can sit down and listen to the whole record in its entirety and love every minute. An absolutely gorgeous record that is a masterpiece of hard rock in my opinion. Favorite Track: Into the Void

5. Whatever and Ever Amen - Ben Folds Five: A considerably different album than the rest that have appeared and will appear on this list, my love for this album is heavily associated with how it reminds me of the later years of my childhood, in addition to having some of the best written lyrics in an album I’ve ever heard. Listening to this record not only is absolutely wonderful to listen to in the moment, but is a great way for me to walk down memory lane and remember certain parts of my life that I remember most fondly. Cheesy, I know, but it’s why this album ranks as high as it does on my list. Favorite Track: Selfless, Cold, and Composed

4. Mechanical Animals - Marilyn Manson: My absolute favorite hard rock album of all time, this record blew me away when it was released and still to this day gets my pulse going! In addition to it’s masterful production and sound, the lyrics in most of the songs are incredibly deep and thought provoking despite their general cynicism. While this is only one of three albums Manson recorded that I actually like (the others being Antichrist Superstar and Holywood), it definitely stands out as his best work to date. Favorite Track: Coma White

3. Loveless - My Bloody Valentine: Known as the seminal shoegaze album, this record is one of only a very small minority of records that is as good as people say it is. At the age of 16, it was the very first album I heard that belonged to the genre, which about 5-years later would become my favorite genre. When I think of the words “masterpiece” or “perfect” this is what comes to mind. Absolutely love this album! Favorite Track: Soon

2. Vapor Transmission - Orgy: From the time I was about 13 up until about 16, Orgy was my favorite band of all time. the band’s combination of hard rock and synth blended perfectly, and I adored every song on this record and its predecessor, Candyass. While I admittedly don’t listen to this album or band as much as I once did, Orgy was the first band that really made me fall in love with music and was really the first band that I could say was a band “I” liked. Vapor Transmission 1ups their other two albums (especially Punk Static Paranoia) because I feel like it perfectly defined how awesome this band was more than any other. Favorite Track: Opticon

Honorable Mentions: These are a few albums that just barely missed the cut for my top 10 list, but here they are:
Shot Forth Self Living - Medicine
Republica - Republica
Simple Things - Zero 7
Discovery - Daft Punk
Version 2.0 - Garbage

1. Split - Lush: If it were not for the one album per artist rule, Lush would have completely dominated this list, with all four of their albums holding a place in my top 10, most of which would be in my top five. Never have a loved a band so much; their music is the definition of beauty to me, and their music is like an extension of who I am at the deepest level of my existence (and you thought some of my other descriptions were cheesy!). After discovering them one late night on youtube over 5-years ago, and 13-years after they disbanded, I am still in love with the music they created in their short, yet amazing existence. I highly doubt I will ever find another band I enjoy listening to more. Split, their third record embodies everything that I love about this shoegaze/brit pop hybrid band and then some. Favorite Track: Never Never

Re: Top 10 Favorite Albums
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 11:10:54 am »
The Yes Album - Yes

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

Rocket to Russia - Ramones

Dead Letter Office - R.E.M.

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie

Van Halen - Van Halen

Freedom of Choice - Devo

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis

[The White Album] - The Beatles

2112 - Rush

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:07:48 pm »
Damn tough
Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks-Modest Mouse
Brother, Sister-mewithoutYou
Censored Colors-Portugal. the Man
Back to Black: The B-Sides- Amy Winehouse
Rubber Factory-The Black Keys
California-mr.Bungle
Frances the Mute-The Mars Volta
Consolers of the Lonely- The Raconteurs
Return to Struggleville- Listener
Six Demon Bag- Man Man

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 07:45:21 pm »
10. Stream From the Heavens - Thergothon
9. The Silent Enigma - Anathema
8. Beneath the Remains - Sepultura
7. The Cars - The Cars
6. Blade Runner - Vangelis
5. The Moon and Antarctica - Modest Mouse
4. Master of Puppets - Metallica
3. Martyre - Saturnus
2. Bad Hair Day - Weird Al Yankovic
1. Turn Loose the Swans - My Dying Bride
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:05:17 pm »
Really tough trying to pick out a top ten...

Megadeth - Peace Sells
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid
Iron Maiden - Brave New World

I'm gonna have to come back to this, I keep stalling for some reason to try and fully pick albums as a whole I love lol To much music!

retroone

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 04:18:22 pm »
1. Metallica- ...And Justice For All
2. Any Offspring Album
3. Boston
4. Bad Company
5. Slipknot- All Hope Is Gone
6. Dio- Holy Diver
7. Iron Maiden- Number of the Beast
8. Gun's and Roses- GNR Lies
9. Rush- Moving Pictures
10. Helloween- Keeper of the Seven Keys 1/2

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 09:09:46 pm »
1. Metallica- ...And Justice For All
I thought about putting this one on my list rather than Master of Puppets.  I gave MoP a slight edge since it helped spark my interest in metal, but there is a lot of great stuff on ...And Justice For All
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

thecrypticodor

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 02:59:09 pm »
1. T. Rex - Electric Warrior
2. Bob Dylan – Blood on the Tracks
3. Megadeth – Rust in Peace
4. Black Sabbath – Vol 4
5. King Crimson – Red
6. Jethro  Tull – Heavy Horses
7. Mercyful Fate – Melissa
8. Rush – Power Windows
9. The Beatles – Revolver
10. Type O Negative – October Rust

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 10:12:34 am »
This is pretty tough, off the top of my head just going to name a few

Jeff Buckley - Grace
Tool - Aenima
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie
Radiohead - OK Computer

More later

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 08:53:36 pm »
In no particular order:

Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
Dog Fashion Disco - Adultery
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Buckethead - Colma
Bad Religion - No Control
Streetlight Manisfesto - Everything Goes Numb
Deftones - White Pony
Aphex Twin - Syro

blipcs76

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 09:28:25 am »
California-mr.Bungle

Amazing album.  Definitely the most accessible Mr. Bungle album IMO.  Gonna have to listen to this today.

3. Megadeth – Rust in Peace

;D  My favorite album from my favorite band of all time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:36:42 am by blipcs76 »

blipcs76

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 09:34:47 am »
1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
2. Faith No More - Angel Dust
3. Foo Fighters - Colour and the Shape
4. Beastie Boys - License To Ill
5. Bell Biv Devoe - Poison
6. Metallica - Metallica
7. Pearl Jam - Ten
8. Korn - Follow the Leader
9. Pretty Lights - Filling Up the City Skies
10.  SWV - Its About Time

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 09:37:27 pm »
1. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
2. Faith No More - Angel Dust
3. Foo Fighters - Colour and the Shape
4. Beastie Boys - License To Ill
5. Bell Biv Devoe - Poison
6. Metallica - Metallica
7. Pearl Jam - Ten
8. Korn - Follow the Leader
9. Pretty Lights - Filling Up the City Skies
10.  SWV - Its About Time

You definitely got some variety in there. It's not too often SWV and Bell Biv Devoe make the same top ten list as Metallica and Megadeth. Very nice!!!

LOL. I have just about every one of those CD's in my collection as well.

Here's my 10 from my music collection in alphabetical order. I stayed away from the greatest hits albums.

Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk
The Cranberries - No Need to Argue
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
Descendents - All
Oingo Boingo - Boi-ngo
Therapy? - Troublegum
Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedos
The Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Shakira - Donde Estan los Ladrones
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

stealthrush