Author Topic: Good Idea  (Read 1745 times)

Good Idea
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:36:11 pm »
There should be a spot for video game/console triva of the day on the front page or something. Would y'all agree?
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

Re: Good Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:43:40 pm »
I think it'd be a really neat idea. It's just a matter of how to implement it... a text box above the forum index with "did you know" facts? A thread in a trivia game show style with polls? Something different entirely? I'm totally on-board for this, it's just a matter of 1) getting more input from members, and 2) figuring out what to do.

What does everyone else think?

abe

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:54:13 pm »
I think it'd be a really neat idea. It's just a matter of how to implement it... a text box above the forum index with "did you know" facts? A thread in a trivia game show style with polls? Something different entirely? I'm totally on-board for this, it's just a matter of 1) getting more input from members, and 2) figuring out what to do.

How about a trivia thread that decides what goes in a text box above the forum index with "did you know" facts? I really like the idea of having it somewhere on the thread index. I feel like I'd check it out more often that way. I'd like to contribute to the "did you know" stuff some time as well, so the thread idea is good for deciding what gets to be featured.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:08:05 pm »

How about a trivia thread that decides what goes in a text box above the forum index with "did you know" facts? I really like the idea of having it somewhere on the thread index. I feel like I'd check it out more often that way. I'd like to contribute to the "did you know" stuff some time as well, so the thread idea is good for deciding what gets to be featured.

I think that if the facts were posted in the thread to be later posted on the index, they'd lose their luster after people already saw them. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't even bother looking at the thread, but that sort of thing makes me feel like the purpose would be defeated. My proposal would be: Once the framework for the facts box is done, there would be a thread that informs people about the whole thing, and to discuss the facts. Users would PM suggestions for facts to appear in the box.

The best way to make it work would be to do a java or PHP script that cycles every 24 hours (or much easier, every refresh and to call it "Facts of the Now"), and to just plug the information into that. I'm just vomiting ideas, but yeah I really really want this to work in some way.

foxhack

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:25:12 pm »
Um... MobyGames does that. Nobody has submitted anything for years.

And we don't have a proper front page anyway, it's just a login screen. ^^;

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:15:55 am »
Good idea :) There is something like that, on handheldempire.com (random game) and atarimania.com (random screenshot and random ad).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:23:15 am »

I'm gonna go w/ this...the daily questions & polls on G*FAQs *sounded* like a good idea too - one that I haven't looked at or bothered with in years; so, yeah :(
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 10:51:22 pm »
BUT this has to be the juicy that every gamer craves.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:54:19 pm »

We could put it somewhere else. Maybe a separate page full of facts categorized by accessories, console, company etch. 
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

davifus

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 02:07:28 pm »
somewhat interesting but not a necessity. 
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)