Author Topic: 2 player PS2 games?  (Read 4104 times)

dreama1

2 player PS2 games?
« on: November 24, 2014, 02:23:50 pm »
2 player PS2 games?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: 2 player PS2 games?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:41:42 pm »
2 player PS2 games?

IIRC - The 2 (PS2) Baldur's Gate games had some nice co-op.

Last time I checked, the 1st one's a pretty cheap & common find -but- the 2nd one was getting rarer & going up in price; so, you might want to see what they're currently going for...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:04:43 pm »
Any of the Metal Slug games ^^
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

abe

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:14:48 pm »
Any of the Guitar Hero games are fun for multiplayer. Star Wars Battlefront II is also great with friends.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dreama1

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:19:27 pm »
The pickings are pretty damn slim for a console with over 3000 games.

argyle

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 08:50:46 pm »

They're really not, but as usual you made a topic with practically no info. You looking for fighting games? Tons of those - Soul Calibur II & III, the Street Fighter anthologies, some good MK games and even some oddballs like Bloody Roar. Want co-op? Well, on top of the already mentioned Baulder's Gate / Champions of Norrath series there are the Dynasty Warriors games (all after 2), MK: Shaolin Monks was surprisingly fun, Twisted Metal Black is awesome and lets you go through the story modes in co-op and there are even weird ones like The Adventures of Cookies & Cream which is a very interesting co-op platformer/puzzler that forces you to work together to progress. Then there are racing games, sports games (both traditional and non such as Tony Hawk & SSX), shooters (not a ton, but some good ones like Timesplitters), etc.

4-word topics are great for Google searches, poor for message board questions. ;) 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:52:01 pm »

It's mostly the party games and racing games that are multi-player on that system. There's a whole lot of fighting games if you're into that as well.

I personally enjoyed the guncon games when friends came over.

dreama1

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:03:10 am »

They're really not, but as usual you made a topic with practically no info. You looking for fighting games? Tons of those - Soul Calibur II & III, the Street Fighter anthologies, some good MK games and even some oddballs like Bloody Roar. Want co-op? Well, on top of the already mentioned Baulder's Gate / Champions of Norrath series there are the Dynasty Warriors games (all after 2), MK: Shaolin Monks was surprisingly fun, Twisted Metal Black is awesome and lets you go through the story modes in co-op and there are even weird ones like The Adventures of Cookies & Cream which is a very interesting co-op platformer/puzzler that forces you to work together to progress. Then there are racing games, sports games (both traditional and non such as Tony Hawk & SSX), shooters (not a ton, but some good ones like Timesplitters), etc.

4-word topics are great for Google searches, poor for message board questions. ;)
Use your imagination. The topics become much more interesting with no info.  The Adventures of Cookies & Cream this one looks interesting.

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 12:11:26 am »

Use your imagination. The topics become much more interesting with no info.  The Adventures of Cookies & Cream this one looks interesting.
The problem is that the PS2 is such a broad console with huge amounts of games for each region that it's pretty difficult  to make a definitive list for 2 player games considering how many of those exist. If you specify a certain genre for those 2 player games, then it makes it much easier to create a specific list for those kinds of games on a certain console. Plus, you did say that there were some slim pickings( which is not really true especially of the PS2), so you may want to look up some 2-4 player games for PS2, and split it up into different genres, because that can appeal to people's different interests. Just a tip.

dreama1

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 12:20:29 am »

The problem is that the PS2 is such a broad console with huge amounts of games for each region that it's pretty difficult  to make a definitive list for 2 player games considering how many of those exist. If you specify a certain genre for those 2 player games, then it makes it much easier to create a specific list for those kinds of games on a certain console. Plus, you did say that there were some slim pickings( which is not really true especially of the PS2), so you may want to look up some 2-4 player games for PS2, and split it up into different genres, because that can appeal to people's different interests. Just a tip.
Oh I wasn't looking for specific genre all 2 player ps2 games that are fun will do.

theprestige2000

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 03:01:27 pm »
Came here to say Baulder's Gate Dark Alliance but saw that was the first response ;D.  In addition Snowblind Studios made two very similar games called Champions of Norrath after they lost the D&D licence.

I noticed hat no one mentioned any shooters.  Prior to the advent of online multiplayer the best shooters let you kill your friends split-screen with some bots thrown in the mix.  My personal favorites were the Red Faction and Timesplitter series.  The third Timesplitters even had a co-op campaign. Red Faction 2 had the ability to use a usb mouse for aiming!

desocietas

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 03:18:32 pm »
The Katamari Damacy games, for sure.

This is a good site for games with at least 2-players. It's not super complete, but it's useful sometimes:

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/6/playstation-2.html
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

redrowz

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 02:43:47 pm »
I'll go with:

SSX Tricky - Highly frustrating on occasion, but extremely enjoyable trying to beat your friend's times or scores, either from their save file or during split screen.

Downhill Domination - Similar level of quality to SSX Tricky, loads of stuff to do and discover on the tracks, Can't believe I'd never heard of it until last year. Technically impressive as well.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 - Amazing roster, more characters than you could ever want in a fighting game. If you're a Marvel or a Capcom fan, this is essential.

Tekken 5 - So many characters, great stages, so many moves.

Twisted Metal Black - Sort of great in a totally opposite way to World Tour; moody, stylish and refined.

Under the Skin - Crazy and totally original 2 player experience

War of the Monsters - The best Godzilla / Rampage type game out there.

And some others worth checking out:

Virtua Fighter 4
Mashed
Metal Arms
Red Faction II

deftommo

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 03:04:42 pm »
War of the Monsters is the one that springs to mind!

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 08:30:07 am »
Most fun i've had with 2 people:

Mashed: Fully Loaded
Timesplitters 2/3
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2006
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
We Love Katamari
Muppets Party Cruise
Buzz! (Any)
SingStar (Any depending on what music you like)
Ace Combat: The Belkan War
Sega Megadrive Collection - Golden Axe 1-3
Lego Star Wars 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
James Bond 007: Nightfire
Athens 2004
Guitar Hero 3
Champions of Norrath
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Bomberman Kart
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2
Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2
Pro Evolution Soccer 5
Toca Race Driver 3
Serious Sam: The Next Encounter
Twisted Metal: Black
Quake 3: Revolution

We also like to play "hotseat" mode on a lot of single player games. The Getaway is one good example for this as the missions are more clearly defined than other open world games, and it's always fun mocking someone else's driving.

I'd say this is the refined list of games we usually play when we get together (when time permits):
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2006
Ace Combat: The Belkan War
Super Monkey Ball Deluxe (Monkey Golf, Target and Bowling)
Athens 2004
Muppets Party Cruise
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2
Pro Evolution Soccer 5

My friend tends not to choose driving games because i'm good at them and he says i'm crap at covering-up when i've made a mistake on purpose. (It's easier to miss deliberately without raising suspicion in shooters) :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:33:50 am by BarbaricAvatar »