Author Topic: The Ultimate Trio of Collect  (Read 2950 times)

retroone

The Ultimate Trio of Collect
« on: November 24, 2014, 04:07:35 pm »
This probably is never going to happen but I thought I should bring it up. In the very far future I would love to see VGCollect Branch off into separate movie and music collect sites. There are other sites out there that will allow you to do this but none of them have the community support or database support as VGCollect does. Keep up the great work.

tpugmire

Re: The Ultimate Trio of Collect
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:25:24 pm »
Thanks for the kind words. You never know what the future holds, but currently there are no plans to expand past video games.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:26:17 pm »
This probably is never going to happen but I thought I should bring it up. In the very far future I would love to see VGCollect Branch off into separate movie and music collect sites. There are other sites out there that will allow you to do this but none of them have the community support or database support as VGCollect does. Keep up the great work.

I wouldn't hold your breath :o

Like you said, there's already tons of movie & music-centric sites -and- this is a video game-centric database & site.

Personally, I hate the idea & attitude of "always gotta' add more".  Plenty of the people here can't/don't even bother to adhere to the style guide when adding & editing GAMING-Only items; hence all of the dupes & fixes & corrections that the mods have to handle.

Everything (place), doesn't need to be everything to everyone.

IMO, this place does a great job at...what it does = video games.  I'd *much* rather see us continue doing & improving on what we do well, by concentrating & putting the focus (ALL of it) where it belongs, on Games.

Not 1/3 games, 1/3 music, and 1/3 movies!

Please...for the love of all that's Holy - can we stop with the "why can't we be more like (insert name of site here) _____"? :o

Just use those movie sites for movies, music sites for music, and video game sites for - wait for it...gaming 8)

/rant

I'm not even a mod, and this constant, never-ending barrage of irrelevant requests has already become a big pet-peeve of mine & I know that plenty of others here are also sick & tired of constantly seeing the same shit, over & over again, ad nauseum -

*STOP the madness*

;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

retroone

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:01:44 pm »

Like you said, there's already tons of movie & music-centric sites -and- this is a video game-centric database & site.

Personally, I hate the idea & attitude of "always gotta' add more".  Plenty of the people here can't/don't even bother to adhere to the style guide when adding & editing GAMING-Only items; hence all of the dupes & fixes & corrections that the mods have to handle.

IMO, this place does a great job at...what it does = video games.  I'd *much* rather see us continue doing & improving on what we do well, by concentrating & putting the focus (ALL of it) where it belongs, on Games.

Please...for the love of all that's Holy - can we stop with the "why can't we be more like (insert name of site here) _____"? :o

Just use those movie sites for movies, music sites for music, and video game sites for - wait for it...gaming 8)

/rant

I'm not even a mod, and this constant, never-ending barrage of irrelevant requests has already become a big pet-peeve of mine & I know that plenty of others here are also sick & tired of constantly seeing the same shit, over & over again, ad nauseum -

*STOP the madness*

;)

I will admit, I saw that coming  ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:13:05 pm »
Yeah, this site isn't even fully perfected yet, let's not get way ahead of ourselves. However, who knows what the future might hold? The database system is a lot better than that of discogs and such, and is tailored towards collectors better... but that having been said, there are still plenty of bugs right now, and we're just getting along the best we can.

We appreciate the enthusiasm though! It's not a terrible idea! Just one we cannot look at right now, like, at all.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:15:02 pm by exonerator »

retroone

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:31:09 pm »
With the community and such at least I know that it would be a website I could trust.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:53:19 pm »
I'll say this: It'd certainly be interesting, and I'd certainly use it. But right now, there's no way.

retroone

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:39:19 pm »
Confirmed. The Musical database of VGCassette is Confirmed.  ;)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 06:46:18 pm »
I'm with Disgaea on this one... let's just keep this site nice and focused on video games.  It's better to do one thing great, than a whole bunch of things mediocre.

This site is already starting to branch out into too much swag/magazine/odds & ends.

It's all love though ;)

soera

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 09:35:01 pm »
I personally have no interest in a collection manager for music/movies/bottlecaps/paperclips/etc.

As far as the swag, I think it does belong here. Its part of the magic that is gaming.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 07:25:45 am »

/rant

*STOP the madness*

;)

I will admit, I saw that coming  ;)

I came off harsh, and I meant to.

But, none of it was personal or directed at you, tc...your post just sparked a lot of other & older posts 8)

Like (the other) Retro said - "it's all love" ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

retroone

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 03:36:05 pm »
As Dreamcast collectors say.. Keep Dreaming.

matt

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 11:51:58 am »
I personally have no interest in a collection manager for music/movies/bottlecaps/paperclips/etc.

As far as the swag, I think it does belong here. Its part of the magic that is gaming.

*sigh* and here I've been spending the last few months working on PaperClipCollect.com. :(

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 02:51:00 pm »
*sigh* and here I've been spending the last few months working on PaperClipCollect.com. :(

... you told me you were working on ToenailCollect.com! :o

scott

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 03:10:29 pm »
I thought he was working on 1-800-collect.com
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread