Author Topic: How to format accessories  (Read 918 times)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

How to format accessories
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:26:48 am »
Hey guys,

Just wanted a little input from some of the higher ups around here... how would you like game accessories to be listed when submitting them into the database? 

let's say for instance... The AV Adapter for PS1... now, the category would be PlayStation Accessory obviously, but how would you like the title?  would it just be "AV Adapter"... or would you prefer "AV Adapter for PlayStation".

Another example would be an Xbox Memory Card.   Would you just want "Memory Card", or a more descriptive "Memory Card for Xbox".   

Personally I can go either way, but would like to get everyone's input on this.  Especially some of you anal folks who love proper punctuation ;D

foxhack

Re: How to format accessories
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 04:58:34 pm »
Depends, are these official first party items or third party items?

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:41:25 am »
Both Really.... Jeez thought this topic would get more love. Ah well, guess it's not important.

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:22:33 pm »
No, I think it's important - it was pretty low on my unread posts list, so I must've missed it (also it was around the Thanksgiving time period so it probably got buried for me).

Anyway, what I probably would do would be to see if there was any consistency with the memory cards we currently have:

http://vgcollect.com/search/memory+card

All I can tell is that it looks like we try to put the company name first and then the console, then "memory card."

This record might help:

http://vgcollect.com/item/16940
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 04:08:23 am »
Thanks Des. Very good post there. I like the idea of putting the system name in the title. I see a lot of memory cards that just say "Joytech 8mb memory card", or "Datel 16MB memory card". Now those are ok, but there's no way to identify what system it's for unless you really know what your looking for. Usually you can use the platform name to help find what your looking for, but since the main search engine only shows "Accessory", you won't know what accessory the system is for unless you click the item and look for it in the details.

Many of those memory cards can look very similar, so i think it's a great idea to put the console name in the title, like this:

Joytech PlayStation 2 8mb memory card.    :D     That should be the official way to list accessories on VGcollect.

Retro, over and out