Author Topic: Monitor replacement  (Read 1444 times)

soera

Monitor replacement
« on: November 28, 2014, 01:32:01 pm »
I enjoy my Black tiger machine but I really want to replace the monitor. It has horrible burn in (the guy that owned it before me left it on for 5 years straight without ever playing it) and it is pretty fuzzy.

Anyone here experienced with that and able to help me out? :D

byron

Re: Monitor replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 08:00:47 am »
As an arcade machine owner and CRT obsessive, I know a few things about monitors. What do you need help with?

soera

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:25:07 am »
I know absolutely nothing about it. Is it something I could actually do myself?  :-\

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 05:32:32 pm »
I know absolutely nothing about it. Is it something I could actually do myself?  :-\

Most important thing to know is. Don't touch the inside electronics of the new or existing monitor. There is enough power in the capacitors to kill you. Even if it's been unplugged for a long time.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:53:34 pm »
I think you could do it.  Just be sure to discharge either one before fooling with them.  Those things aren't real complicated.  Just stay away from the big, black plunger thing on the back.  That's the part that has the ouchies in it.

byron

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 10:47:30 pm »
Discharging a small CRT is not difficult, or particularly dangerous. The capacitors will not kill you; that is nonsense. All you must do is ground a flat screwdriver with a length of wire and stick the tip of the screwdriver under the suction cup at the back of the tube. Alternatively, you could simply leave the machine unplugged for a day or two. That will be ample time for the caps to discharge on their own. After that, the CRT should come out with a few screws. They were designed to be serviced, after all.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 12:47:41 am »
For a small CRT (or any CRT for that matter) you could be right.

It really depends on the path the current chooses and how many amps during discharge.

If it goes through your heart (which is why "one hand behind your back" practice exists) there is enough juice in some CRTs caps (especially in the often overlooked power supply) to stop it. For a small one maybe it's low enough charge to be nothing more than an annoyance.

Yes they are made to be serviced. But by trained service persons.

Of course not everyone agrees:

This guy says it's bunk, that they are perfectly harmless, and anybody can do it:

http://lowendmac.com/2007/the-truth-about-crts-and-shock-danger/

In his experience he is probably right.

The comments here have accounts of people who claim to be fully trained on the dangers and precautions and some who have been actually been (or witnessed someone being) electrocuted:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/197/How+dangerous+is+working+on+a+CRT+display

The way the "Accepted Answer" guy waxes poetic about the Earth's rotation and magnetic fields magically charging the caps I'd be inclined to discredit his entire post.

But I worked with a guy that got thrown back by a cap he touched by accident while fixing an (admittedly large) TV. After he woke up (hit his head on the floor hard and knocked himself out) he was fine with just a slight burn mark on his hand. But it pretty much ensured that when my CRTs died I'd be replacing them entirely.

In Soera's case repair might be more affordable and desirable since the specific replacement unit he'd need is may be impossible to find in the wild.

That said. I wouldn't repair it myself if it involved dealing with the internal circuits.

And I say that having gutted and rebuilt computers, Colecovisions, NESes, and various handhelds.

I was just saying to Soera what I say to all my friends thinking of tinkering with electronic/mechanical stuff. Make sure you know what it is before you touch it and be careful. :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:58:48 am by dashv »

soera

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 09:54:25 am »
So my next question is ... who is going to do it for me? :D

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 02:11:09 pm »
Are you married to keeping the display CRT?

This guy swapped his out for an LCD arcade monitor.

He shows it running Black Tiger. But I think he's using an adapter to plug the monitor into the PCB.

You could try asking him what monitor he got and what adapter he used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3sXbHlG_i-A

soera

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 03:42:32 pm »
Im not opposed to anything. :)