Author Topic: Can Dreamcasts not play Windows CE based import games?  (Read 1441 times)

razorbeamz

Can Dreamcasts not play Windows CE based import games?
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:52:21 am »
I have a copy of an Evangelion themed typing game for Dreamcast imported from Japan, and my Dreamcast can't load it even with a Utopia Boot Disc. Are Windows CE based games region locked?
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

maximo310

Re: Can Dreamcasts not play Windows CE based import games?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:21:37 am »
Hmm, that's odd. See if you can get it to work with a DC-X boot disc or a Action Replay CDX disc since I've heard those discs are able to boot more games than Utopia.

razorbeamz

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:42:10 pm »
Thanks! The Action Replay worked.

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 09:58:47 pm »
Cool, seems like my advice worked. From what I know, any import Dreamcast game can be played as long as you have a console/  the right import disc. Windows CE is actually not used as the OS for Evangelion, I believe its a simple OS created by Sega that on the disk itself; only 50 DC games use Windows CE at. Besides, with the whole Dreamcast piracy situation and that the system( in mid-2000) was not going to last that much longer on the market, they decided to not really worry about security and just removed MIL-CD functionality, probably because Microsoft was already worrying about the original Xbox at this point, and Sega kept their security hardware the same, since many third-party developers could continue to easily develop games on the Naomi/Dreamcast platform, and its helped homebrew developers as well over the years and kept the Dreamcast somewhat alive with its continual development.

razorbeamz

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:41:39 am »
There's a Windows CE logo on the disc though, and if you play it in the CD player function the audio clip says something about Windows CE (but I don't speak Japanese so I have no idea what it says).

The game is Shinseiki Evangelion: Typing E-Keikaku.

http://vgcollect.com/item/66855

I'm the only person on the site who has it too.

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 08:53:57 pm »
There's a Windows CE logo on the disc though, and if you play it in the CD player function the audio clip says something about Windows CE (but I don't speak Japanese so I have no idea what it says).

The game is Shinseiki Evangelion: Typing E-Keikaku.

http://vgcollect.com/item/66855

I'm the only person on the site who has it too.
I see, I did not know that. I'll see if I can find more info on this.

razorbeamz

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 11:46:30 am »
There's actually a second Evangelion DC typing game called Neon Genesis Evangelion: Typing Hokan Keikaku, but I don't have any info on it.

maximo310

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 03:24:50 pm »
Yeah, the only things I can find is that the second game is a different layout for the menus and typing excercises, but the only gameplay I could find was of some dude who purposely failed all the lessons just to show the gameplay footage.