Author Topic: Hrmm, new Nintendo console soon-ish?  (Read 2236 times)

soera

Hrmm, new Nintendo console soon-ish?
« on: December 20, 2014, 12:13:08 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/nintendo-consoles-already-way-173615955.html

Seriously? They are already trying to get a new console out? Its barely been 2 years since the Wii U launched (Nov 18 2012). I cant see the purpose behind this at all. The Wii came out exactly 6 years before the Wii U. I really hope the gap is approximately the same for this new console.

karyann

Re: Hrmm, new Nintendo console soon-ish?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 12:27:17 am »
Well, a new system takes years of work to complete, so it's normal that it would be already in development. I doubt it would be on the market soon though, even though the article makes it sound like it would. I learned to doubt anything with no explicitly stated source from websites such as yahoo because of ambiguous phrasing to spark interest :-\

haloofthesun

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 12:44:48 am »
I don't know why everyone is in such an uproar about this. Articles make it sound like a new console is coming soon, but it isn't. Miyamoto just says they're developing ideas for the next console. That's pretty normal. Nintendo and Sony both started R&D for the Wii U and PS4 respectively in 2008, for a frame of reference. Considering Nintendo's standard ~5 year cycle, don't expect to actually hear any news about their next console for another couple of years.

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 01:30:17 am »
Even though they are working on a console right now, I wouldn't expect them to reveal it until 2016 or 2017 since I believe they want to keep the Wii U going for the moment. All of Nintendo's consoles had begun development about 3-4 years before their release in their cases, and the Wii was in development since the Gamecube came out, same with the Wii U, so that's a 5-6 year development cycle. Sony and Microsoft seem to have lots of development time for their new consoles as well, so I wouldn't really the article seriously since the 8th generation for home consoles hasn't been out that long.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 01:50:08 am »
Engineers never stop working. As soon as they finish a console they start working on the next.

Here's a neat interview talking about Mario Maker among other things:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:09:50 pm by badATchaos »

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 06:04:19 am »
Damn crappy headlines that do nothing but act as click bait lol

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 11:42:45 am »
I'd give the Wii U a five-year shelf life. I doubt Nintendo would be stud enough to pull a Sega and discontinue support for their console so soon. As others have said, the next Nintendo console is most certainly in development, but it will be a while before it is even unveiled as a prototype.

retroone

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 12:13:44 pm »
Still hoping for GameCube compatibility!

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 03:39:38 pm »
They are working on another console already? I thought that they just popped out a new one a couple weeks before they announce it.  ::)

I figured they were and I figure Sony and MS are both already in the planning stages.

Speaking from retail, the Wii-U has had a much better year this year than last. We keep selling out and I am getting calls a day about them.

karyann

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 03:58:41 pm »
Speaking from retail, the Wii-U has had a much better year this year than last. We keep selling out and I am getting calls a day about them.

That's good news! :D The Wii U is definitely a great system to own, yet it's still not selling so well. I guess that a lot of people still think that it's only an add-on for the Wii, too...

razorbeamz

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 05:04:12 pm »
I've heard before that they were working on a console for third-world markets. Maybe that's what this article is actually about.
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »
Every console maker starts work on the next console the second the current one is out.  This really isn't news.  What IS news, however, is that Miyamoto is talking--or at least referencing it--already.