Author Topic: Is there a way we can get a copy of the database?  (Read 1498 times)

Is there a way we can get a copy of the database?
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:48 pm »
I'm interested in collecting a subset of games for the PS1 (and maybe other system eventually, but I want to start there), specifically games that were exclusive to the system. I've had a hard time finding a list of PS1 exclusives online with the only close result being on wikipedia (although it seems limited to games they have pages on, which misses quite a few). Manually searching on each game would take a long time and I'd probably miss something along the way.

If however I had a copy of the game DB that has been created and curated by users here I could write a script to cross reference each PS1 game and find the ones that are on no other platform. This could also be done by writing a script to search the site over and over again, but that seems like a poor way to do it (not only because it would be slower but because it could potentially cause a lot of traffic in a short period of time).

I'm only interested in the games, not user collections, and I could use any file I could get (I'm just going to guess it's a MySQL database, but another format, even a CSV, would work). I figure that the data is probably locked away, but figured I'd ask since it would make my goal a a lot easier.

tafk

PRO Supporter

Re: Is there a way we can get a copy of the database?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:56:36 pm »
This would be pretty cool as currently the most complete lists I can find are on wikipedia and those are varied in quality and completeness.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 01:52:54 pm »
A slightly harder solution could be, put all of the ps1 games in your collection, and then you can export them in a csv file.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 12:59:56 am »
A slightly harder solution could be, put all of the ps1 games in your collection, and then you can export them in a csv file.

I'm not looking for a list of PS1 games, thats easy to find, I'm looking for a list of PS1 exclusive games. The only idea I have to create such a list now would be to search the site for every PS1 game and check if there are any results for a different platform.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 05:47:49 pm »
Unfortunately, the database doesn't mark which ones are exclusive, so I don't think there's a way to export a list when we don't have a field for it :/
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 07:01:54 pm »
Another challenge would be games that were released cross-platform but named uniquely for each platform. It didn't happen often but it did happen.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:18:35 pm »
Unfortunately, the database doesn't mark which ones are exclusive, so I don't think there's a way to export a list when we don't have a field for it :/
Thats why I would like the entire list of games occross all platforms, I can write a script to do the referencing myself

Another challenge would be games that were released cross-platform but named uniquely for each platform. It didn't happen often but it did happen.
I thought of this and am not to worried about it, since I'm only collecting NA releases it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully once I have a shorter list any questions regarding it I can research on a game by game basis.

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 09:12:36 pm »
Thats why I would like the entire list of games occross all platforms, I can write a script to do the referencing myself

I thought of this and am not to worried about it, since I'm only collecting NA releases it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully once I have a shorter list any questions regarding it I can research on a game by game basis.

Ah, I see - well, it'd probably be Matt who'd have to help you out, so your best bet would be to email or PM him directly.  The only thing I can see would be an issue is that he'd basically be giving away all of his community members' work, if you know what I mean...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 05:39:33 pm »

Ah, I see - well, it'd probably be Matt who'd have to help you out, so your best bet would be to email or PM him directly.  The only thing I can see would be an issue is that he'd basically be giving away all of his community members' work, if you know what I mean...

Yeah and thats why I figure it would be locked away, I'll send him a PM and see if we can part with a copy.