Author Topic: We covered FAVORITE console, now how about the 1st console you bought yourself  (Read 7486 times)

gf78

Just for fun, what is the first console and games you purchased with your own hard-earned money?

Mine was the SNES back in 1991.  I was working as a cart pusher at the local Walmart and saved up enough dough with my eye on this prize.  Picked up the system that was bundled with two controllers and Super Mario World.  Also picked up ActRaiser and Super Castlevania IV.  I don't know if it was because the games were just that good or because I worked hard to save up that cash to buy that bundle, but all three of those games hold a special place in my heart and are burned into my brain.  That goofy world theme along with the flapping cape sound effect just pop into my brain randomly...pretty much on a daily basis.   ??? 

On a side note, another stupid videogame sound effect that "haunts" me is from the Atari 2600 game Pike's Peak.  Actually, the eagle attack sound, the bear "nugga nugga nugga" sound and that little intro diddy all haunt me.   :'(
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The first system we ever had as an Atari 2600. It was my older sister's and was in her room. It never did hold my attention for long due to the repetitive arcade-style games, and I thought the graphics were terrible (the NES was out at this point).

When I was 7-years old we got an NES. Even though that was technically our 2nd system, that was the system that hooked me and made me a gamer. I started off with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, The Legend of Zelda, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Soldier, and Pin-Bot. Great spread of games to get going on! It was a Christmas gift from my mom and Grandpa for all of us (me, my brother, and sister). Still one of the best Christmas gifts to this day, and I'm 31 years old, lol. It instilled a love of gaming in me that I have to this day.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:20:22 am by burningdoom »

aliensstudios

The first system I bought with my own money was a used Nintendo 64 back in 2008. My older brothers had one that I played as a very young child but when they moved out they took it. A few years later I had saved up about 70 dollars and was able to purchase a used console with Donkey Kong 64, a controller and an expansion pack.

I own tons of consoles but believe it or not, the first system I bough brand-new with my own money was the Wii U.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

The first console that I bought with my own money was a second hand Sega Mega Drive 2 with a Mega CD 2. This was in 2003 I think. I had a Sega Mega Drive back in the day (91-94), that I got as a christmas gift but sold it in order to switch to PC

davifus

PS Vita
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

doafan

For me was the SNES Jr it took me a pain in the ass to purchase this one cause my parents never wanted to see me playing in front of the TV the whole day so every damn cent was obtained with a lot of sacrifice and work but damn I did enjoyed the only three games that at moment I owned, the rest were rented games, so many good memories are just coming back  :'(

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

psydswipe

I got my first job at Kmart in order to buy the Sega CD. It must have cost $300 at that time and I didn't work at Kmart too long, it was just during a holiday season. I imagine my pay was probably around $4/hour then too so most of the money I made must have gone to the system. There weren't many games available when I got it and full-motion video looked really cool so I bought Night Trap :-[
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 05:27:54 am by psydswipe »

gf78

I got my first job at Kmart in order to the buy the Sega CD. It must have cost $300 at that time and I didn't work at Kmart too long, it was just during a holiday season. I imagine my pay was probably around $4/hour then too so most of the money I made must have gone to the system. There weren't many games available when I got it and full-motion video looked really cool so I bought Night Trap :-[

I never bought the Sega CD add-on, but at one point around that time, I picked up a JVC X'Eye...or something like that.  It was the Genesis and CD built into one unit.  Wish I had that baby now, I think they are worth a bit of money.   :(
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

The first system we ever had as an Atari 2600. It was my older sister's and was in her room. It never did hold my attention for long due to the repetitive arcade-style games, and I thought the graphics were terrible (the NES was out at this point).

When I was 7-years old we got an NES. Even though that was technically our 2nd system, that was the system that hooked me and made me a gamer. I started off with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, The Legend of Zelda, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Soldier, and Pin-Bot. Great spread of games to get going on! It was a Christmas gift from my mom and Grandpa for all of us (me, my brother, and sister). Still one of the best Christmas gifts to this day, and I'm 31 years old, lol. It instilled a love of gaming in me that I have to this day.

So I didn't pay enough attention and now realize I was supposed to post what was the first console I bought with my own money.  :-[

That would be a Sega Dreamcast, for me. I got it with my first real job money, working at Blockbuster Video. I got it with Marvel vs. Capcom, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, and Sega Smash Pack. And I played and supported that bad-boy until I got my XBox with Morrowind and Halo.

Unfortunately I had AOL at the time. And SegaNet just wasn't compatible with AOL. So I only got to experience SegaNet at my friends house. I usually played Quake III Arena and some motorcycle racing game that escapes me while I was at his house. Or I watched him play Phantasy Star Online.

gf78

So I didn't pay enough attention and now realize I was supposed to post what was the first console I bought with my own money.  :-[

That would be a Sega Dreamcast, for me. I got it with my first real job money, working at Blockbuster Video. I got it with Marvel vs. Capcom, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, and Sega Smash Pack. And I played and supported that bad-boy until I got my XBox with Morrowind and Halo.

Unfortunately I had AOL at the time. And SegaNet just wasn't compatible with AOL. So I only got to experience SegaNet at my friends house. I usually played Quake III Arena and some motorcycle racing game that escapes me while I was at his house. Or I watched him play Phantasy Star Online.

LOL about AOL.  I know the feeling.  Up until about three and a half years ago, dial-up or satellite was my only internet option.  Both suck.  They finally started offering LTE here which works pretty well for online gaming so I can't complain too much.  I bought the Final Fantasy XI bundle for the PS2 DAY ONE.  After doing updates for what seemed like two days...well, it WAS TWO FRIGGIN DAYS...I played the game for about 12 hours and figured out I didn't really like it.   >:(

I built PCs before by my first game system I bought myself was the original grey DS

tripredacus

If I really think about it, the first actual game system I ever bought was a Gameboy. It was the original one, but green colored. It came in a clear plastic shell and I had Tetris and SMBW.

amauriel

Mine was a Gamecube, and it was between my Freshman and Sophomore years of college.

I'll never forget it, because my mom said something to my grandmother right after I bought it that I've always remembered. "When she was 8, I bought her a Nintendo and said she'd grow out of it. When she was 10, I bought her a Super Nintendo and said she'd grow out of it. When she was 14, I bought her a Nintendo 64 and said she'd grow out of it. Now she's almost 20 and buying these things for herself. I guess she's not going to grow out of it."
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

gf78

Mine was a Gamecube, and it was between my Freshman and Sophomore years of college.

I'll never forget it, because my mom said something to my grandmother right after I bought it that I've always remembered. "When she was 8, I bought her a Nintendo and said she'd grow out of it. When she was 10, I bought her a Super Nintendo and said she'd grow out of it. When she was 14, I bought her a Nintendo 64 and said she'd grow out of it. Now she's almost 20 and buying these things for herself. I guess she's not going to grow out of it."

Wow...that kinda hits home.  My mom always said the same kind of stuff to me about my games, music tastes, etc.  When I was around 10-11, I started listening to Iron Maiden.  My mom would say "You don't like that music.  You think you like it because other people do."  Well mom, hate to break it to you, but I've been listening to Iron Maiden for the last 30 years.   8)

kashell

Mine was an original PlayStation 2. Along with it, I bought a memory card and Ephemeral Fantasia. It was a good day.