Author Topic: Anyone here filed a complain with their local post office?  (Read 4649 times)

Warmsignal

Anyone here filed a complain with their local post office?
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:04:41 am »
I've really, finally had enough this time. I can't recall how long ago it has been since I received a package from eBay where the game inside wasn't crushed. Every single one, and every type of game I order, crushed, crushed, and crushed. I've put up with it far too long, and I'm fairly confident in saying that it is my postman. The guy struggles to get in and out of his vehicle he's so overweight, and he breaks a sweat carrying a package 10 feet, I don't know how he has the job still. But it's got to stop.

Problem is, I don't know what to do exactly. Do I just go to the service desk and ask to file a complaint? There are many post offices near me, but the one my packages come to first before being delivered to me is actually not the post office for the town I live in which is confusing. I want to do this in person so that it actually counts for something. I've started taking pictures of every crushed item I retrieve so that when I go, I can show them what I'm putting up with.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Can I ask to have all packages addressed to me left at the post office so that I can come pick them up?

Re: Anyone here filed a complain with their local post office?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:31:50 am »
Sadly, USPS does not give a shit and all your screaming, complaining and frustration will fall upon def, non-empathetic ears. I've had packages (with tracking numbers mind you) that mysteriously vanished and was pretty much told "better luck next time." Matter of fact, I currently have a package I'm waiting on that was supposed to arrive on Friday of last week, but the tracking info mysteriously stopped updating last Thursday??? I am still going to my post office to find out what the hell is going on if I don't receive my item soon, but i'll probably be given the same song and dance with no sort of accountability from my Post Office :/

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:15:38 am »
Sadly, USPS does not give a shit and all your screaming, complaining and frustration will fall upon def, non-empathetic ears. I've had packages (with tracking numbers mind you) that mysteriously vanished and was pretty much told "better luck next time." Matter of fact, I currently have a package I'm waiting on that was supposed to arrive on Friday of last week, but the tracking info mysteriously stopped updating last Thursday??? I am still going to my post office to find out what the hell is going on if I don't receive my item soon, but i'll probably be given the same song and dance with no sort of accountability from my Post Office :/

Please tell me the package you are referring to is not the memory card I sent back...

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 02:27:24 am »
Yeah, the post office has made me blow a gasket or two over the years. Some of the dumbest crap, too. Like leaving a package in front of my door, normally might not be an issue, except I live in an apartment complex populated mostly by crack-heads other such people. Or shoving a package into my letter-box to the point of damaging it, yet there are package boxes literally 2-feet away.

I've gotten frustrated to the point that I was having one of those yelling matches that bikingjahuty mentioned, and he's absolutely right. Nobody cared. I was told next time to have special instructions if you want us to do that...despite the fact that common sense would say to put a large package in the package box. See, I'm getting pissed all over again and it's been over with forever.

Yeah, I hate the post office. But what are you gonna do if you can't find what you need locally?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:20:47 pm by burningdoom »

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 03:08:32 am »
I just don't want this guy handling my mail anymore, at all. Maybe I need a PO Box. It's a shame it has to come to that.

psydswipe

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 05:40:46 am »
They probably can't fire him for his weight, though the job really does require someone to be fit. I worked for the post office very briefly, and I mean briefly, like two weeks on the job. I quit but you probably don't want to hear how the whole hiring process works or how tough it can be to get a full time position  ;) I was surprised at how the packages were handled at the facility I worked at though. I was in Arizona and was a part-time mail carrier, and while I had to get my mail in order (some was machine pre-sorted in advance), the packages were handled by a few other employees. They weren't carriers, they actually are the people who worked the counter when the post office opened but early in the morning they sorted packages.  They had to place them in large bins, there was one for each route. I say place but what I should say is throw. They literally throw the packages across the room as they have a couple long rows of bins and just know which one goes to each route. Sometimes they miss and the package slides across the floor. That's a good way to break things so make sure you pack stuff tight. I couldn't say if every office works like this, that was just my experience.

However, that doesn't explain packages getting smashed entirely, though I guess if it's at the bottom of the bin a heavy one could land on top of it. I suspect they don't really throw the heavy ones, probably don't have the strength for that  :D  I'm not entirely sure how you go about filing a complaint. You could try talking to the mail carrier but then he'd know who is complaining if you need to go beyond him. For other issues though, don't bother venting on a carrier; I had to take some of that and I was just a back up, meaning I had no regular route and couldn't exactly fix reoccurring problems, I just went where I was needed. My office did have two managers so you could try calling and asking for a manager, though I suspect they might defend their employee. The other option is getting in contact with the local postmaster. It's probably not that easy to get their attention as they oversee many offices and are generally very busy. They must have a primary office though, probably at the HQ for the region. I had to do all of my training in Phoenix even though I was working in a town on the outskirts about 45 minutes away. If you live near a major city that's likely where they'll have the main facility.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:43:18 am by psydswipe »

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:57:05 am »

Please tell me the package you are referring to is not the memory card I sent back...

it is :(. It departed SanFran on 1/21 and has not updated since. 

davifus

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 12:02:36 pm »
Instead of a PO box wouldn't using Fedex or UPS be better monetary wise?
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 02:28:10 pm »
With their shipping rates? I doubt it. Ship one game FedEx and you've probably paid 3 months of a PO box.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 03:54:38 am »

Dammit. They have problems in San Fran. I have lost a couple of packages (being sent to me) there also. It's like a black hole or something. It was supposed to reach you in no more than a week. Even paid extra for the tracking. It was over $5 to ship it back. Grrrrrrr.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:41:42 pm by dashv »

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 09:54:35 am »
Nope.  I've actually had exactly 0 problems with usps in 1500 ebay transactions.  Of the 2 problems I did have with something damaged, the blame was squarely on the seller not packaging things adequately, and one seller over-packaged an item where they wrapped it so tight it broke.  UPS is the one that consistently delivers really damaged stuff in my area.  It must depend on who works at your local PO/what kind of facility it is.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:36:30 am »

Sadly pretty much this.... you can always ask sellers if they can send it via UPS/Fed Ex, and offer to pay a bit more if they do......
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

tpugmire

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 11:30:20 am »
Every area has a Postal Inspector.  They are kind of like the post office cops.  You can try getting in touch with one in your area, but I'm not sure they deal with that kind of thing anyway.  I had a couple packages stolen off my porch years ago.  I even knew who did it and had proof, but they wouldn't do anything.  The post office is kind of a lowest common denominator kind of organization.  They have to be cheap enough for the masses to use, they are losing money every year, they are in no way competitive in the transportation market.  It is cheaper in the long run for them to pay FedEx to transport US mail on FedEx aircraft than it is for them to fly their own planes.  As for using FedEx or UPS instead, it's certainly an option, but not one that I would recommend unless it is a high dollar item and you need it real quick.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

psydswipe

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 06:35:11 am »

Dammit. They have problems in San Fran. I have lost a couple of packages (being sent to me) there also. It's like a black hole or something. It was supposed to reach you in no more than a week. Even paid extra for the tracking. It was over $5 to ship it back. Grrrrrrr.

I'd say wait a bit longer because you're correct about the SF problems. My sister's friend sent an item from the SF area (not sure if it was from the city itself) to the Phoenix Arizona area which isn't far at all. However, it took 15 days to go one state over. I've had items go from Michigan to Arizona in two days so two weeks to go such a short distance is ridiculous.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 12:02:05 pm »
Every area has a Postal Inspector.  They are kind of like the post office cops.  You can try getting in touch with one in your area, but I'm not sure they deal with that kind of thing anyway.  I had a couple packages stolen off my porch years ago.  I even knew who did it and had proof, but they wouldn't do anything.  The post office is kind of a lowest common denominator kind of organization.  They have to be cheap enough for the masses to use, they are losing money every year, they are in no way competitive in the transportation market.  It is cheaper in the long run for them to pay FedEx to transport US mail on FedEx aircraft than it is for them to fly their own planes.  As for using FedEx or UPS instead, it's certainly an option, but not one that I would recommend unless it is a high dollar item and you need it real quick.

That's good to know for the next time it happens to me. I tried to complain to the manager of the post office, and she could care less.