Author Topic: What A/V splitters do you use?  (Read 4156 times)

tafk

PRO Supporter

What A/V splitters do you use?
« on: January 28, 2015, 10:15:47 am »
Title, trying to revamp my setup with something new as my old one seems to be going down the tube. If anyone could give advice on what they have liked I'm all ears and would appreciate it.

tpugmire

Re: What A/V splitters do you use?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:36:51 am »
On my main TV, I have a Pelican System Selector Pro. 8 inputs, does pretty much everything but HDMI. On the secondary TV, I have a cheap 4 input selector, I don't remember the brand.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

byron

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:56:10 am »
I use lots of these things:

Everything goes to the same input on the TV, and there's no buttons to push. It probably isn't damaging anything...

abe

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:57:24 am »
For my modern consoles, I use one of these. It works well enough, and even automatically switches to whatever device is turned on and plugged in. Unfortunately it's prone to interference from various appliances and the video, audio, or both can cut out from time to time which is super annoying.

On my CRT TV for my older consoles, I just use some cheap generic brand 3 input A/V splitter. It works fine, no degradation in signal quality from what I've noticed and it has S-video support. It's not really enough anymore and I'll have to get another one soon though.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:08:47 am »
I was using cheapo 4 input selector switches... but now I actually have enough TVs to not need to use any sort of things like that.

Other things I have used is a VCR that has RF and Composite inputs.

Currently, I need 1 more table to be able to set up my other TV, and also some adapters to be able to hook up my Genesis to Component.

Bwigdahl

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:21:40 am »
I have this for my CRT setup. No S-video but it works well and I needed all 8 for everything I have hooked up to that tv and I like to avoid daisy-chains as much as possible lol

argyle

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 12:05:16 pm »
On my main TV, I have a Pelican System Selector Pro. 8 inputs, does pretty much everything but HDMI. On the secondary TV, I have a cheap 4 input selector, I don't remember the brand.

I use what's probably that same Pelican switch for my retro stuff. I've had it forever but it still works great. :)

For my modern consoles, I use one of these. It works well enough, and even automatically switches to whatever device is turned on and plugged in. Unfortunately it's prone to interference from various appliances and the video, audio, or both can cut out from time to time which is super annoying.

I use what looks like the 3-port version of that (I have a receiver w/ HDMI inputs as well so that's all the extra I needed). Works great, and I've never noticed anything cutting out on mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B46XUQU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:07:14 pm by argyle »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 12:12:50 pm »
I use a few of the cheapies that you can get at Big Lots discount store for $5 a piece. They have 3 different slots for systems.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 07:05:23 pm »
For Retro....I also use the Pelican System Selector Pro.  I've had the thing for over 10 years and it's still going strong.  That is THE BEST you can get.  Highly Recommended.

For Current gen HDMI systems, I use a Kinivo 5 port switch.  Works perfectly and picture looks great. Also comes with a handy remote ;)

Buy those 2 I mentioned and your all set.

scott

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 08:21:39 pm »
On my CRT I have 2 RCA switches hooked up in series, so I can make the most out of my since RCA connection on the TV. One is a old GameStop branded one that Matt gave me years and years ago. The other is a Dynex with 4 ports (No idea on a model number). So I can hook up something like 7 consoles at once.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 10:00:32 pm »
I'm about to bite down on this sucker:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-CUSTOM-AUDIO-30-1376-/30-1376
Good old MCM. I haven't seen that name in a while. They used to make a lot of audio equipment.

It's not your typical 3-4 in, 1 out. It's is distribution amp. Only 2 in with 4 out. Going to be using it at my theater for tournament play to split the signal to a CRT (to actually play off of) and to the cinema projector (for the spectators). When I'm not using it at the theater I'll use it in my game room. I honestly don't have too many composite output systems plugged in at any given time, so only 2 inputs is okay for me.

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2015, 10:26:17 pm »
We had an earlier thread on this a while back, maybe this will help too.

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,5413.html

My reply:

I use a JVC JX-S700, which has seven inputs and four outputs (though I only use five / two of those.) Since it's powered, there's no signal loss or degradation. Ideally you'd get a few of those, plug their output into a single splitter, then run that. But it might be a bit too costly.

I got mine for cheap a few years ago, but these can sell for quite a bit of cash nowadays.

This only does RCA / S-Video, though. It's great for oldschool systems.

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 12:19:39 pm »
nice piece of hardware fox

retroone

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 01:25:16 pm »
This GE Switcher is good for all my consoles. I've had it for a couple years and never had any issues.