Author Topic: Did you ever have "that moment" when you were ashamed to be a gamer?  (Read 12360 times)

gf78

There are those times in life when you feel embarrassed or ashamed because of something.  It could be an old song coming on the radio like Foreigner's Jukebox Hero, where you are digging it and suddenly become self conscious and look around to see if anyone hears you listening to it.  Or maybe watching a hokey movie that you wouldn't want anyone to know you enjoy.  But what about game shame?

For me, the most shame I ever felt for being a gamer was the midnight launch for Halo 2.  I was at the South County Mall in St. Louis, MO because that was the closet gaming store to where I live at that time....sixty miles from home.  Everything was pretty cool, there was this long, long line all the way down to the Sears at the end of the mall.  I was pretty close to the front, probably about the 20th guy in line at EB Games.  The game went on sale.  The first guy in the line walks out of the store.  Well, I should say shambles.  He was this huge, grotesque looking person with a neckbeard wearing some black t-shirt that was several sizes too small.  His pimply, hairy belly hung low as his shirt could not contain it and his sweat pants couldn't rise high enough.  His hair was matted, greasy and he had a significant amount of acne.  He smelled of BO and dirty laundry.  You know, that wet, nasty mop smell?  And as he exited the store, he looked around, pulled Halo 2 from the bag, held it high in both hands like He-Man raising his sword and bellowed "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"  And at that moment, I felt great shame. 

It's not that the guy was big or that he was enthusiastic about his new game.  We were all there at midnight because we were enthusiastic.  It's because this guy is the poster child for every bad stereotype of gamers. 

So what do you all think?
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

tafk

PRO Supporter

Re: Did you ever have "that moment" when you were ashamed to be a gamer?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 12:08:47 pm »
I've really never had that moment but damn do I agree there are a select few that bring the name of what people think of gamers WAYYYY down. It sucks that the stereotypes exist when they're so far from the truth.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 12:09:58 pm »
Haha, awesome story OP! Myself, on dates, pending on the woman, I might not mention my collection till a few dates later haha.

Don't want her to think i am a 'nerd" or "weird" cause i own a bunch of games and systems
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 12:19:38 pm »
It's nothing new to me. I'm in my 30s and I have plenty of people that have that "grow up already" mentality towards me; not only because I'm an avid gamer, but also because I still collect comics and watch pro-wrestling.

Funny thing is, I'm not having all these stress-related issues that they are and I'm generally a happier, and less bitchy person than a lot of those people. So why would I want to be more like them?

gf78

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 01:04:03 pm »
It's nothing new to me. I'm in my 30s and I have plenty of people that have that "grow up already" mentality towards me; not only because I'm an avid gamer, but also because I still collect comics and watch pro-wrestling.

Funny thing is, I'm not having all these stress-related issues that they are and I'm generally a happier, and less bitchy person than a lot of those people. So why would I want to be more like them?

I know exactly what you are talking about.  Anytime something gets mentioned around my parents, they say the same crap about "When are you going to stop playing with toys?" meaning the video games.  I'm 40 now.   ::)  I told my mom I'll stop playing when my arthritis gets so bad I can't hold a controller anymore...but by then they will have a little thing you slip on your head to control the games so it's all good!   :P

And to me, aside from the fun I have playing games and collecting "geeky" stuff, the stories in games can be as gripping as any that you see on television or the movies. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 01:30:17 pm »
Totally know what you mean with the stereotype, the town I used to live in had a lot of good gaming stores but since then I've moved to a different town a little more south which is known to be more conservative, very nice people, but the mentality is different and I don't talk about it as much as I used to.
Another stereotype too down here, one of the game stores I went to has a relatively attractive female employee, but their game selection is horrible and overpriced but guys shop there because of her and are constantly hitting on her and it's a shame to see and then they complain that she's a bitch and it's really sad I don't blame her. But that stereotype is still there and really unfortunate

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 01:32:27 pm »
As a girl, I feel like it happens a little less often, though it does happen.  If anything, I try to wear it like a badge, but I'm usually most sheepish about it when I talk about it with someone who might not know what I'm talking about.

There's always that initial fear when you're talking to someone and they find out that you are a "gamer" or like video games.  They usually ask what you play, and there're two options: (1) specifically name what you're currently playing or like to play or (2) generalize to a point so that you don't "scare" them away or make the other person feel weird because you're talking in a foreign language.

Otherwise I can't really recall a time when I've been "ashamed" about being a gamer... most of the time it's been a shyness/slight embarrassment at mentioning something that others might consider a "kids' hobby."  Otherwise, I've always been proud to be a gamer :)

Oh, I did think of some occasions, actually.  I like knowing that there are other girls like me who love games, but I hate when I see girls use it to boost some weird fetish they're trying to peddle.  I know guys love girly parts and all  ::) but I kinda hate seeing girls who play video games while aiming webcams down their shirts.  It makes me worried that people will assume I'm the same sort of girl when I tell them that I play games and stream sometimes.  They're giving girl gamers a bad reputation and encouraging immature behavior from their viewers.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 02:06:26 pm »
Most of high school was like that for me.  Gaming was still generally seen as something for kids since most of my classmates got the NES in 5th grade when it came out.   

One of my coworkers recently teased me about reading comics, but then he goes and sees all the Hulk, Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man and Batman movies!   

gf78

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 02:11:05 pm »
As a girl, I feel like it happens a little less often, though it does happen.  If anything, I try to wear it like a badge, but I'm usually most sheepish about it when I talk about it with someone who might not know what I'm talking about.

There's always that initial fear when you're talking to someone and they find out that you are a "gamer" or like video games.  They usually ask what you play, and there're two options: (1) specifically name what you're currently playing or like to play or (2) generalize to a point so that you don't "scare" them away or make the other person feel weird because you're talking in a foreign language.

Otherwise I can't really recall a time when I've been "ashamed" about being a gamer... most of the time it's been a shyness/slight embarrassment at mentioning something that others might consider a "kids' hobby."  Otherwise, I've always been proud to be a gamer :)

Oh, I did think of some occasions, actually.  I like knowing that there are other girls like me who love games, but I hate when I see girls use it to boost some weird fetish they're trying to peddle.  I know guys love girly parts and all  ::) but I kinda hate seeing girls who play video games while aiming webcams down their shirts.  It makes me worried that people will assume I'm the same sort of girl when I tell them that I play games and stream sometimes.  They're giving girl gamers a bad reputation and encouraging immature behavior from their viewers.

I don't really follow game streams at all, but that's pretty F'd up that girls are doing that webcam crap.  I believe that as long as it doesn't hurt anyone, a person should be allowed to live their life and do as they please.  It doesn't affect me.  But the girls aiming webcams down their shirts is stupid and it does make people have assumptions. 

I've never been embarrassed about gaming.  I've done it since I was a wee lad of about 4, when I was old enough to pick up that Atari joystick and maneuver an on-screen "thing."  My wife doesn't like games, but she doesn't really bother me too much about it unless I bury myself into a game for hours upon hours for days upon days on end.  My first wife Serenity (RIP) was a pretty avid gamer.  She loved Voodoo Vince and Crash Team Racing the most.  I remember the two of us lying side by side on the bed playing CTR.  If she was losing, she would wait until we were near the finish line on the last lap and she's shoulder check me to try and distract me.  Cheater!

gf78

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 02:11:51 pm »
Most of high school was like that for me.  Gaming was still generally seen as something for kids since most of my classmates got the NES in 5th grade when it came out.   

One of my coworkers recently teased me about reading comics, but then he goes and sees all the Hulk, Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man and Batman movies!

Tell that fanboy to come out of the closet!

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 02:31:36 pm »

;D He's still single, so he probably thinks he has to put up a front. 

gf78

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 02:46:52 pm »

;D He's still single, so he probably thinks he has to put up a front.

LOL...gotta be macho.   ::)  I was an avid comic book fan and collector from about 1981 to 2009 or so.  The comic that stuck with me the most as a young man was Uncanny X-Men #169.  First X-Men comic I ever read.  It was (for those that don't know) about Calisto kidnapping Angel because she was in love with him.  Storm, Nightcrawler and Colossus attempt a rescue, only to be overpowered by the Morlocks.  I was left hanging as it wasn't until about 1995 when I finally found a comic store with issue #170.   >:(

kashell

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 02:56:14 pm »
I'm never embarrassed to be a ga(y)mer. I'm out and proud in more ways than one, and my gaming is another badge I wear with pride. When people have the audacity to say to me, "Video games are a waste of time" I usually give one of two answers. The first one is along the lines of me asking them what they do for fun. They always mention some form of media like TV, movies, books, comics, etc. I say what I do is no different and they have their "a-ha" moment and then apologize.

The other is, "Well, I think you're a waste of life." That's usually saved for people I don't care for very much. They don't know what to say after that.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 04:23:48 pm »
"Did you ever have "that moment" when you were ashamed to be a gamer?"

NEVER! I'm proud to be a gamer!

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 05:34:50 pm »
I've had some doubts as I sit in my room with action figures and perler beads I've made and my growing game collection, having those thoughts that get put there by society or family or whatever, where you hit an age and you must abandon this kind of stuff, but I've never agreed with that.  There's no reason to go "Well I'm an adult now, I can only enjoy the outdoors, sports, working on cars, and going to the bar or whatever is considered the "normal" thing.  I love games, I love anime, I love movies, I love cosplay, I love the fantasy elements of it all.  It's fun, it's imaginative, and I wouldn't give it up for much of anything.  To do so would be to basically live a life of boredom.  I don't even know what I'd replace this all with lol