Author Topic: Spring Cleaning of "Description" Fields.  (Read 3738 times)

tafk

PRO Supporter

Spring Cleaning of "Description" Fields.
« on: February 26, 2015, 04:03:33 pm »
As many of you know every entry on this website has a "Description" field, as many people may not know is that those fields are meant to be completely original descriptions of games and not copied off of the box or Wikipedia. I think one cool thing we can do as a community is try to do some spring cleaning of the description fields and have a leaderboard over the next three months of who can write the most and best descriptions for games on this website. Anyone in? If anyone wants to do this or help out trying to make the site more appealing let me know! Peace!  8)

desocietas

Re: Spring Cleaning of "Description" Fields.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 04:19:36 pm »
Well, to be clear (from the style guide):

The Description field should be notes about the games packaging variants/ pack ins/ collector's edition details. Or trivia about the games release, such as if it is a launch title, last title, a very limited release,  etc. This should not be filled with store descriptions describing the gameplay or hyping up the title.

But I like the idea of cleaning up that field.  Too often it has a synopsis of the game, etc., and that's not what it's there for.  Usually I end up removing that field all together if there's nothing to particularly note about the game and the contents of its physical copy.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

indenton

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 04:39:15 pm »
An original description, I dunno about that that seems kind of opinionated.  I've been getting descriptions from original sources.  I've added a few yet-to-release Nintendo games recently and I've been getting descriptions from the Official Nintendo UK site, along with patching up a few grammar  mistakes if they've cropped up. 

Is that not what you're looking for in a product description.  I suppose some of them can get a bit long.  BTW, Is there even a word limit of some kind
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:10:28 pm by indenton »

indenton

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:43:11 pm »
That might be my OCD kicking in, I just don't like leaving item fields empty if I can help it.  I feel like I'm being a hassle, I'm sorry  :-[

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 05:54:05 pm »
For the most part, I think a lot of the description fields for games are going to be blank.  They're mostly there for pack-in information for collector's items, any notes about the item (like if it never came with an instruction manual), preorder bonus info, or has some interesting quality about it (like being able to use a mouse and keyboard for a console game).  It should be a very objective write-up.

They should not be filled with press release descriptions (from you or from the official publisher).  They'll get deleted eventually if so.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

indenton

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:32 pm »
Again, I had no input on any of these descriptions, I though it would make this seem a bit more official. 

I feel like I'm being told off here, do you want to slap my wrist and send me off?

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:39:05 pm »
What Desocietas is saying is that regardless of whether the description is original or taken from an official site it is still incorrect.
The Description field should be notes about the games packaging variants/ pack ins/ collector's edition details. Or trivia about the games release, such as if it is a launch title, last title, a very limited release,  etc. This should not be filled with store descriptions describing the gameplay or hyping up the title.

In most cases the description field is left empty.  It is mainly reserved for variants and collector's edition packages.  Admittedly the field name is a bit confusing, but please do not just copy descriptions from other sites into the database.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:40:54 pm by pacpix »
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 02:41:23 am »
As many of you know every entry on this website has a "Description" field, as many people may not know is that those fields are meant to be completely original descriptions of games and not copied off of the box or Wikipedia. I think one cool thing we can do as a community is try to do some spring cleaning of the description fields and have a leaderboard over the next three months of who can write the most and best descriptions for games on this website. Anyone in? If anyone wants to do this or help out trying to make the site more appealing let me know! Peace!  8)

I like the idea, but, I am too lazy to do it myself. Great idea though
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 09:12:01 am »

But I like the idea of cleaning up that field.  Too often it has a synopsis of the game, etc., and that's not what it's there for.  Usually I end up removing that field all together if there's nothing to particularly note about the game and the contents of its physical copy.

Someone has been working on an NES game contents FAQ. Basically people are opening sealed games and creating a list of every item that came in the box. Manuals, registration cards, dust sleeves and so on. Is that the kind of thing that would belong in the description field?

The list is here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/916386-nes/faqs/49943

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 09:59:58 am »

Someone has been working on an NES game contents FAQ. Basically people are opening sealed games and creating a list of every item that came in the box. Manuals, registration cards, dust sleeves and so on. Is that the kind of thing that would belong in the description field?

The list is here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/916386-nes/faqs/49943

This would be amazing for every game. So many games come with things that I don't even know if some games I have are truly "Complete" like all the .hack games coming with anime or SC3 coming with a demo disc.

indenton

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 09:08:27 pm »
What Desocietas is saying is that regardless of whether the description is original or taken from an official site it is still incorrect.

In most cases the description field is left empty.  It is mainly reserved for variants and collector's edition packages.  Admittedly the field name is a bit confusing, but please do not just copy descriptions from other sites into the database.
Alright I get it, I'm not arguing on how you want the site to be operated, I've been a bad little boy.  But like I said, I thought I was helping and you're making it sound like I'm doing this without a care in the world.  I've grown to care about this site and the small but growing community you have, I'm trying to do what I can to provide for the site too, filling in gaps here and there if I can. 

But when something that you thought was right is being thrown back in your face by the Admins themselves, it hurts inside and I don't feel like I'm being forgiven here...

I pretty much remember each item I added 'descriptions' to, so I could go back through each item if you'd like. 

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 09:53:40 pm »
Alright I get it, I'm not arguing on how you want the site to be operated, I've been a bad little boy.  But like I said, I thought I was helping and you're making it sound like I'm doing this without a care in the world.  I've grown to care about this site and the small but growing community you have, I'm trying to do what I can to provide for the site too, filling in gaps here and there if I can. 

But when something that you thought was right is being thrown back in your face by the Admins themselves, it hurts inside and I don't feel like I'm being forgiven here...

I pretty much remember each item I added 'descriptions' to, so I could go back through each item if you'd like.

If it makes you feel any better, I've yelled at the other admins for messing this stuff up. Pretty often. :P And no, you're not being told off. Remember that this is the internet and tone is often lost in text.

These fields are better left blank if they're not being used, because in the future, we may have an option to hide these fields from being displayed in certain circumstances (like with digital games, which do not need product or UPC codes, and should always be left blank.)

I understand your OCD compulsion. You're looking at the guy that used to go and fix all Steam submissions himself because most entries are nothing but a title and the header image...

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 11:00:40 pm »

Nah, no one's telling you that you've been bad or anything.  I was just trying to clear things up before folks spent time helping to add to the site when there may have been a miscommunication.

I'm sorry if I came off terse or curt - I just wanted to be clear (I have a tendency to be vague when I don't want to come off sounding too forward... which can come off sounding harsh in text... ironic, eh? :P).

I appreciate you wanting to make the records as complete and informational as possible - I'm the same way.  In cleaning up records, I occasionally run into descriptions fields that were pulled from good sites or written well but, unfortunately, I have to submit an edit and remove it completely because it doesn't fit the style guide.

I'm not trying to offend anyone by doing so!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

pacpix

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 01:15:08 am »

I apologize if I offended you or seemed ungrateful for your contributions to the site.  That was not my intention at all. The misuse of the description field is a common occurrence on the site and I just wanted to clear up any possible confusion. 

We greatly appreciate all of the users who contribute to the database :)
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

gamingpenguin

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 07:06:14 am »
I shall keep an eye out for the description fields, and help out where I can :) but maybe the name should be changed to 'notes/contents' or something? from reading this topic, it doesn't seem 'description' fits what is actually suppose to go there too well?. Either that or there could be a little question mark next to the 'description' and when you hover over it, it tells you what it means? Then that should make it clearer what is suppose to be there :)