Author Topic: Which system is it better for?  (Read 4193 times)

silversyx

Which system is it better for?
« on: February 26, 2015, 10:54:28 pm »
I have always wondered which games are better for which system when they are mulitplats. Is Tomb Raider 4 best on PSone or Dreamcast? Is Sonic 06 worse on PS3 or 360? How do you guys decide which system to get a game for?

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Re: Which system is it better for?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 11:06:32 pm »
When it came to ps3/360 ps2/xbox. ill get it for PS since they are the ones i prefer playing on and the ones normally plugged in
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

topspot123

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 11:07:32 pm »
I will generally do a bit of research on the matter before purchase.  There is often times a better version on a certain system.  That could be due to game performance, or exclusive features.  That is the one I generally try to get.

But when all other things are equal, I use different criteria to decide.  Like which controller I might prefer, free multiplayer (ps3), or maybe I just need more games for a certain system. 

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 11:10:25 pm »
Get both because I'm like that lol...

argyle

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:14:50 pm »
Nine times out of 10 the differences are so minuscule that you will never notice them unless they are running side by side. So I always buy the game for my favorite platform, Sony. To me, controller preference / eco system preferences / etc. trump any minor differences.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:31:14 pm »
Nine times out of 10 the differences are so minuscule that you will never notice them unless they are running side by side. So I always buy the game for my favorite platform, Sony. To me, controller preference / eco system preferences / etc. trump any minor differences.

This ^

IMO the only system that truly had a huge difference was the Saturn with its fighting games and no load time due to the ram cart over the Playstation.

The other would be a trade off for better sound and FMV on Playstation vs. no load time on N64

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 02:24:40 am »
This question used to be more interesting during the 8bit/16bit-eras since the games developed for the different platform were often developed by totally different developers (and sometimes different publishers). Since the different 8bit/16bit systems also contained very different HW the implementation of the games could be, really really different. Some games could be awesome on one platform, and totally suck on another platform.

Today it seems that the only difference between platforms you get are some pixels less in resolution and some less FPS on one or the other platform. Essentially, the differences today are tiny compared to how things used to be

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 02:43:01 am »
It's rare in the past couple generations to find one that is worse than the other.  I actually just watched a video where The World is Not Enough on N64 is an entirely different game on PS1.  A lot of it comes down to stability and performance.  Then it's about if it has anything unique to that platform.  Like Resident Evil 4 is a better game on the PS2 I think compared to the GC version, since it has more content.  I believe Skyrim on the PS3 had some serious issues in comparison to the 360 or PC.

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 07:50:35 am »
PC > everything else
Long live the PC Master Race!

gf78

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 11:37:34 am »
For me, my "ecosystem" of choice trumps any minor technical differences.  Since I am a "Sony is #1" guy, I try to get all games for those platforms.  If it is a game like Tekken Tag 2, I will undoubtedly purchase it for a PlayStation without question because I have Tekken 1-6, Tag, etc. all on PlayStation. 

That's not to say I would never pick up Tekken Tag 2 for the Wii U if it was a cheap price.  It would just be a fun game for that system.  But my "collection" of that series would remain complete and whole on PlayStation.   :P
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 11:53:16 am »
PC > everything else

Where is the ignore list.  ;D
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 12:03:02 pm »
PC > everything else
Where is the ignore list.  ;D

:'(
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:09:26 pm by badATchaos »

desocietas

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 12:58:20 pm »
I will usually do some research to see if there's any noticeable difference.  Usually there isn't, but I know for some games, there were key differences.

The PS3 version Star Ocean: The Last Hope, for instance, was the international version and included both Japanese and English voices as well as exclusive content.

And then there was the infamous PS3 port of Bayonetta...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 01:03:00 pm »
Out of modern consoles, I'd say that generally the Wii U version (if there is one) is often the best due to the GamePad options that often come with it.

But other than that, a lot of modern games are just straight ports. It's not like it was in the day with Sega Genesis and SNES where there would often be two completely different versions of a game.

gf78

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 01:34:28 pm »
Out of modern consoles, I'd say that generally the Wii U version (if there is one) is often the best due to the GamePad options that often come with it.

But other than that, a lot of modern games are just straight ports. It's not like it was in the day with Sega Genesis and SNES where there would often be two completely different versions of a game.

With the exception of games in the first six months, there pretty much aren't any Wii U "versions" anymore.  Such a shame.  It's a good system and the tablet/controller gets a bad rap.  Aside from the usual first party stuff, I'm almost assuredly going to get Devil's Third.  In part because Nintendo is publishing it, in part because Tomonobu Itagaki is the director and in part because well...there isn't all that much on the way.   :'(
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us