Author Topic: More Genres  (Read 1024 times)

gamingpenguin

More Genres
« on: February 28, 2015, 05:52:07 pm »
Hello, first off sorry in advanced if this has been suggested this elsewhere. I did a quick search but I am currently on my phone so might have missed it :)

Anyway, I would like to request more genres to choose from, it seems to me there are a fair few missing. They might not be the biggest genre, but it would be better than piling them all into the other section?

If there is a reason the other genres aren't there, then I am sorry for wasting your time :) and I would make a list of ones I feel are needed, but I am on my phone, so if you do want a list I can do one tomorrow when I get on the computer. :)

abe

Re: More Genres
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:06:58 pm »
This has been brought up many times before, though I can't remember exactly why we don't have more genres. Maybe it was to avoid adding too many unnecessary and specific subgenres. ??? I don't remember, and I can't find the exact thread I'm thinking of. :-[ (though there's lots of others on this topic) I'd personally like to see a visual novel genre, rather than having all of the visual novels stuck under the adventure genre.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 08:43:26 pm »
Well... what genres are we looking for? Gotta know them to add them.

gamingpenguin

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 05:07:00 am »
Here is a quick list of ones that I feel are missing. I might have missed some, and if so I shall add them in after, but this is what I got for now :)

Third Person Shooter
MOBA
Platformer
Hack and Slash
Stealth
Visual Novels
JRPG
Card & Board
Trivia
Music & Rhythm
Sandbox
Party
Vehicular Combat

Also looking through the genres there is one for 'flight simulator', which would come under the 'simulation' genre? :)

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 02:22:19 pm »
This has been brought up a lot... Here's one thread that was 5 pages long: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,104.0.html . There are handful of other threads that have also come up on this subject.

If anything:

Card & Board <- would go under "classic"
Trivia <- would probably best go under "puzzle" or "classic;" I honestly don't know what game this genre would include
Music & Rhythm <- already have a Rhythm genre
Party <- already have a Party genre

Also looking through the genres there is one for 'flight simulator', which would come under the 'simulation' genre? :)

I agree that flight simulator could go under simulation.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gamingpenguin

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 02:52:29 pm »
This has been brought up a lot... Here's one thread that was 5 pages long: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,104.0.html . There are handful of other threads that have also come up on this subject.

Trivia <- would probably best go under "puzzle" or "classic;" I honestly don't know what game this genre would include

Terribly sorry for starting a new topic :(

What about the other genres though?  And I am not sure I would put Card & Board or Trivia games under classic personally, but I probably have a different sense of what a classic game is :), I must have missed the Party genre when I looked through them all, and with the Rhythm genre, what about games that involve singing or something similar? I wouldn't class that as a Rhythm game :)

And thanks for agreeing with the flight simulator :)

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 06:38:17 pm »

What about the other genres though?  And I am not sure I would put Card & Board or Trivia games under classic personally, but I probably have a different sense of what a classic game is :), I must have missed the Party genre when I looked through them all, and with the Rhythm genre, what about games that involve singing or something similar? I wouldn't class that as a Rhythm game :)

No worries :D

You make good points.  Not sure where the admins are with this topic - maybe one of them will weigh in at some point :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 07:11:52 pm »
How about run&guns?
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

tpugmire

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 09:08:27 pm »
Honestly not sure what happened to the sub-genre thing. I'll bring it up again.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

gamingpenguin

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 07:00:52 am »

No worries :D

You make good points.  Not sure where the admins are with this topic - maybe one of them will weigh in at some point :)

Thank you :), I have added quite a few entries and edited some, and sometimes I am looking through the list of genres and I am thinking 'I have no idea where this one should go', and I don't want to add it to the wrong genre, because then it would be incorrect information :)

Honestly not sure what happened to the sub-genre thing. I'll bring it up again.

Okay that sounds like good news to me, hopefully something will come from it :)