Author Topic: Amiibo question  (Read 1917 times)

Amiibo question
« on: March 01, 2015, 01:24:43 am »
So I finally picked up a couple Amiibos, Samus and Toon Link, and am a bit conflicted as to whether or not I should actually open them. I've seen some Nintendo videos about them and they do seem neat, so my question to those of you that use them, are they really beneficial to use or do they only provide slight entertainment and distraction?
Sorry if this has been asked, thanks for the help

silversyx

Re: Amiibo question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:02:31 am »
I personally open all of mine but nothing yet makes me feel like you absolutely have to open them. That may change with the new Mario Party 10 Amiibo mode but Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros., Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and Mario Kart 8 don't make me feel like it's required. Which is good for some people who don't want to even collect them in the first place.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:22:17 am »
I go halfway and do the razor blade trick.  You slice open a small part in the back, which allows you to get underneath the amiibo where the metal sticker is that blocks the amiibo from connecting.  You tear that off with pliers, can be abit tedious, but once you get it off or most of it, you can keep the amiibo in the box for display and use them when you want.

I'm of the side that is more about opening things, but I decided to keep my amiibo's either sealed if I'm not using them or open them if I want to do it, but still have them look nice on a wall.

theflea

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 06:11:40 am »
I don't open mine for two reasons, one I honestly haven't seen a good enough reason to use them.
And two I love how they display in my game room in their packages, They fit perfectly on two support columns between my handhelds, collector editions and other games.  :)

It's up to you, if you want to use them or display them as loose on a shelf or display case then open them, if you want to display them hanging on a wall or lined up on a shelf in their package then keep them in sealed. Every collector is different use/display them as you see fit.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

soera

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 01:42:44 pm »
I havent opened mine for the same reasons as the flea. I prefer to display them and I havent any reason yet to actually open them.

I hadnt considered the "cut the bottom out" scenario but it sounds pretty cool.

abe

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:37:42 pm »
I haven't opened any of mine yet, the packaging looks way to cool to me. I'll probably get a few common ones and open them to use once I have something I can actually use them with. I may also just end up buying some used ones that other people have already opened once EB Games starts selling them used.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

karyann

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 06:23:02 pm »
I go halfway and do the razor blade trick.  You slice open a small part in the back, which allows you to get underneath the amiibo where the metal sticker is that blocks the amiibo from connecting.  You tear that off with pliers, can be abit tedious, but once you get it off or most of it, you can keep the amiibo in the box for display and use them when you want.

I use the blade method, but I cut open 3 sides of the box (everything but the top) so that I can remove the figure easily, but keep the box looking good. That way, when I'll stop using my amiibo, I can put them back in the box for display and it doesn't look like they've ever been opened unless you take a close look :) And that way, I don't have to use my amiibo with their big box, and I don't have to struggle to remove the metal tab!

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 09:21:31 pm »
flea looks good.
i took mine out to display.

im going to move the shelves a little closer together.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 10:00:18 pm »

I use the blade method, but I cut open 3 sides of the box (everything but the top) so that I can remove the figure easily, but keep the box looking good. That way, when I'll stop using my amiibo, I can put them back in the box for display and it doesn't look like they've ever been opened unless you take a close look :) And that way, I don't have to use my amiibo with their big box, and I don't have to struggle to remove the metal tab!

It does get annoying trying to get rid of the sticker lol I just have enough opened right now so I can get my 5 daily rewards in Hyrule Warriors lol