Author Topic: Yet another You Tube video game review series.  (Read 1417 times)

mrnikon

Yet another You Tube video game review series.
« on: March 01, 2015, 02:08:54 pm »
Hey all I have had a You Tube channel for a while, but had a whole pot of coffee this morning and decided to add a few quick intro videos and a review. check it out and let me know what you all think. I know i have a lot to work on, but its just a start.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChicagoRetroGaming

retroone

Re: Yet another You Tube video game review series.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 02:29:21 pm »
Keep up the great work! The more video's you make the better you will get!

mrnikon

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:32:52 pm »
Keep up the great work! The more video's you make the better you will get!
And the less coffee i drink before making the videos too. this is what 4 cups does...

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 09:36:59 pm »
it wasnt too bad.
i would try and stay a little more relaxed. you seem to rushed. maybe write out what you want to say and do it off camera a few times.

id also pick one game and just talk about that. maybe talk about your experiences playing it as a kid compared to now. 

indenton

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 09:05:32 pm »
You've set up a pretty good drinking game in your introduction video "Y' know".  Might want to lay of the coffee a bit, it might wake you up, but it will also project the image of being disorganized and cluttered.  You might want to use these coffee rushes for brain storming or writing instead of the actually recording the video that way. 

You want to put your best foot forward instead of making people feel like they've stepped into the room mid-conversation.  You're not applying for a job so you can still be laid back about it, but you might want to try and inject some personality into the video, try and sound interested in what you're talking about.  If you plan to wing a discussion, then you should at least edit out any hesitation, it leads to awkward silences for the viewer (Who may just have click off the video). 

I'm currently listening to your video while writing this out, and I'm struggling to take in any information because you yourself don't sound very interested about the subject matter. 

There are so many people that watch AVGN because of his character, his charisma, his performance, I for one wasn't born anywhere near that generation of any of those games, but each episode is an absolute blast.  I understand that you want to be more professional about reviewing a product as opposed to someone like AVGN, but you can afford to show some emotion.  Do you like these video games?  Do you hate them?  That's the magic of a YouTube video, you can prepare, you can practice, you can edit but your audience will be none the wiser

Which photo do you use for your Facebook profile, is it perhaps the best looking photo you can find?  Where you can look your best all the time?

Take from this what you will, I hope this comes off as constructive for you. 

mrnikon

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 10:06:24 am »
You've set up a pretty good drinking game in your introduction video "Y' know".  Might want to lay of the coffee a bit, it might wake you up, but it will also project the image of being disorganized and cluttered.  You might want to use these coffee rushes for brain storming or writing instead of the actually recording the video that way. 

You want to put your best foot forward instead of making people feel like they've stepped into the room mid-conversation.  You're not applying for a job so you can still be laid back about it, but you might want to try and inject some personality into the video, try and sound interested in what you're talking about.  If you plan to wing a discussion, then you should at least edit out any hesitation, it leads to awkward silences for the viewer (Who may just have click off the video). 

I'm currently listening to your video while writing this out, and I'm struggling to take in any information because you yourself don't sound very interested about the subject matter. 

There are so many people that watch AVGN because of his character, his charisma, his performance, I for one wasn't born anywhere near that generation of any of those games, but each episode is an absolute blast.  I understand that you want to be more professional about reviewing a product as opposed to someone like AVGN, but you can afford to show some emotion.  Do you like these video games?  Do you hate them?  That's the magic of a YouTube video, you can prepare, you can practice, you can edit but your audience will be none the wiser

Which photo do you use for your Facebook profile, is it perhaps the best looking photo you can find?  Where you can look your best all the time?

Take from this what you will, I hope this comes off as constructive for you.
I am actually working on scripts for these, so i can be more organized. So hopefully they will be much better once the next one comes out.

kashell

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 10:37:12 am »
Introduction video:

It was neat getting to know more about you. I liked how you dressed in your comfy clothes, took a seat and started shooting the breeze about video games from your youth. It was relatable. That said, you seemed slightly nervous. I’m not sure if you were going from something you wrote or were going impromptu, but your talking speed was high. And this is coming from me, who is happens to be a very –VERY- fast talker. ^.~ But, overall I enjoyed it. I say just take a breath or a sip of water every now and again to let the monologue breath a little.

Second video:

Same stuff as before along with some new thoughts. “Y’know” is one of those vices like “I don’t know,” “um” or “like.” Also, speak up a bit, Mr. Nikon! You have a lovely voice and everyone needs to hear it. Be sure to push those glasses up so we can see more of you. This was my favorite video because it was a total trip down memory lane.

“Caffeinated” video:

You didn’t appear hyper, so either you were drinking decaf or you built up a caffeine immunity. Haha. You flew that NES into frame in style. I really enjoyed learning more about this “video game” crash that was the hot topic before I was born. Some of your words seemed slightly mumbled. Other than that, great job with this one. The same stuff from the first video applies again.

All in all, I enjoyed watching these. It's clear that you have lots of knowledge on the subject. I say work on talking speed and you'll be good to go. ^^

mrnikon

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 05:11:28 pm »
Introduction video:

It was neat getting to know more about you. I liked how you dressed in your comfy clothes, took a seat and started shooting the breeze about video games from your youth. It was relatable. That said, you seemed slightly nervous. I’m not sure if you were going from something you wrote or were going impromptu, but your talking speed was high. And this is coming from me, who is happens to be a very –VERY- fast talker. ^.~ But, overall I enjoyed it. I say just take a breath or a sip of water every now and again to let the monologue breath a little.

Second video:

Same stuff as before along with some new thoughts. “Y’know” is one of those vices like “I don’t know,” “um” or “like.” Also, speak up a bit, Mr. Nikon! You have a lovely voice and everyone needs to hear it. Be sure to push those glasses up so we can see more of you. This was my favorite video because it was a total trip down memory lane.

“Caffeinated” video:

You didn’t appear hyper, so either you were drinking decaf or you built up a caffeine immunity. Haha. You flew that NES into frame in style. I really enjoyed learning more about this “video game” crash that was the hot topic before I was born. Some of your words seemed slightly mumbled. Other than that, great job with this one. The same stuff from the first video applies again.

All in all, I enjoyed watching these. It's clear that you have lots of knowledge on the subject. I say work on talking speed and you'll be good to go. ^^
Thanks! I never knew I had a lovely voice. All of this was just off the top of my head with no real script. So i know that is where I need concentrate on is having everything I need to say all laid out.