Author Topic: Can I vent about a bad experience in a game store?  (Read 4665 times)

silversyx

Can I vent about a bad experience in a game store?
« on: March 03, 2015, 12:13:37 am »
I went to a store today planning on buying Dr. Robonik's Mean Bean Machine (which I already had) and Ecco the Dolphin for the Genesis. I decided I only want boxed Genesis games now so my duplicate purchase was because I THOUGHT I was buying a boxed game. This is what I wrote on the store's review page on Facebook.

I was very unsatisfied with their store policies. I bought two Sega Genesis games in the box with the manuals (so I thought) and when I checked out they took the cartridges out and put the boxes and manuals away after I paid them. I asked if they came with the boxes and manuals after and they said no, I said I'd rather not do the transaction then and the cashier said they can only do store credit so I said never mind then I'll just take the games. Just so everyone knows, they don't sell the boxes and they only give store credit back even if you haven't left the store.

Thanks, I just need to vent to other gamers who would maybe understand.  :'(

Re: Can I vent about a bad experience in a game store?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 12:17:05 am »
I went to a store today planning on buying Dr. Robonik's Mean Bean Machine (which I already had) and Ecco the Dolphin for the Genesis. I decided I only want boxed Genesis games now so my duplicate purchase was because I THOUGHT I was buying a boxed game. This is what I wrote on the store's review page on Facebook.

I was very unsatisfied with their store policies. I bought two Sega Genesis games in the box with the manuals (so I thought) and when I checked out they took the cartridges out and put the boxes and manuals away after I paid them. I asked if they came with the boxes and manuals after and they said no, I said I'd rather not do the transaction then and the cashier said they can only do store credit so I said never mind then I'll just take the games. Just so everyone knows, they don't sell the boxes and they only give store credit back even if you haven't left the store.

:I

Damn, even GameStop doesn't treat it's customers that shitty...

silversyx

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 12:22:20 am »
That's what I thought! Even they gave my friend his money back when he and my girlfriend got me the same game for Christmas!  :o

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 01:08:35 am »
That is pretty terrible service. The review you wrote is fair and deserved.

I would never shop there again.

I made the same vow against gamestop when I preordered a game once and when I went to pick it up the employee said it was a good thing I preordered the game because they only received one copy. He then proceeded to go and get the came case off of the new PS3 game wall (which had already been opened and a New sticker was put on the case) and then opened up a drawer to put the game back in the case.

I stopped him and said, "That isn't my "new" game is it?"  He answered it was. I questioned him why my pre-order game was put out on display to be sold if it was the only copy they received. He said that was store policy and that it was indeed still a new game since it had never been played. I called the regional/district manager who told me that was indeed their policy. He then called around and said all stores had opened their one copy of the game so if I wanted the game I would have to buy a a new opened copy.

I have never returned to GameStop. I vow never to return.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 01:10:09 am »
I'm really sorry to hear that happened. I've managed to get out of most of those situations by canceling the transaction before paying for the game, but it sounds like they really screwed you out of your end by doing that after you paid. Usually with places like those, avoid them if you can.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 01:19:23 am »
When it comes to independent game stores, at least in my area, I wouldn't be upset at all if 90% of them went under. Bad prices, bad customer service, bad store policies, bad business in general seem to plague most of them. I dare say many of them even deserve to go under. Sorry about your experience, I've definitely been there :/

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 01:53:52 am »
When it comes to independent game stores, at least in my area, I wouldn't be upset at all if 90% of them went under. Bad prices, bad customer service, bad store policies, bad business in general seem to plague most of them. I dare say many of them even deserve to go under. Sorry about your experience, I've definitely been there :/

Bad prices are generally my biggest problem.

When it comes down to it, paying $2 or $3 more for a game from an independent shop just isn't something I want to do. Hence why I keep my GameStop membership; prices are generally the market average (or much lower).

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 02:03:48 am »

I'm normally a pretty mellow guy. But I would have raged on them bad if they did that to me. What you describe is complete garbage.

I hope this store is not in the Bay Area.

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 02:57:53 am »
That's SUPER scummy.  I'm much like Dashv, that I'm pretty reserved and not one to get mad, but I would've been pissed had they done that.    Best thing you can do is spread the word around about practices like that.  If that's what they do, it's likely they have other problems.  I mean, what were the prices on them? CIB stuff is usually a good bit more expensive than cart only items.  Did you think you were getting a good deal, so taking the games wasn't the worst that could happen, or did you basically pay boxed prices, just to get screwed over? I guess I shouldn't be thinking about that too much, neither one is some crazy expensive game, but I would've been sore about it lol A couple bucks difference is still a couple bucks.

theflea

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 05:34:53 am »
That sounds like a bait and switch, I'd be pissed looking at a game CIB, thinking I'm buying then after it's rung up have them take the boxes and manuals away. giving me cart only. I would be yelling at them and if I'm told store credit only I'd blow my top. I still wouldn't take the games (I'm a CIB only on Sega Genesis, unless its dirt cheap at a garage sale) If I already paid for them and was told only store credit I'd take the credit find something to use it up then never buy a Genesis game (or anything i want CIB unless I ask and they tell I'll get the box) But I have a story to beat you.

I was in a game store maybe two years ago and they had a stack of NES games that where "display only" for the longest time. Finally one day I stop in and they where selling those games, I asked prices and they said they where the owners private collection but he wanted to sell them at their price PLUS an $8 surcharge on each game.  I first thought well I'll ask prices and figured everything was going to be over priced. (this store had high prices to begin with) So i asked prices and many games and most where like i said with the $8 surcharge to pricey. Well I saw one and thought to my self "well this one will be expensive but WTH I'll ask." and the price i got was $30 + the $8 my heart dropped. and I bought that game plus a few other just because this game was such a good deal and got out of there. That game was Panic Restaurant.
Well evidently another customer came in after i left and saw It was sold and asked what it sold for and found out he told the owners they where robbed and got the owners all pissed off at me that when I came in again they wanted me to give the game back. I told them no, you told me a price and I paid for it, even bought more of the other games that where over priced. Well they where claiming I should have told them they undercharged for it and that I conned them into selling it for $38. and I was banned for some time from that store. lol I never felt bad, because this store in well known for cheating customers and being well over priced.  :P
It's like when the Game Chasers found that Flinstones 2 and Little Samson for $5, they where caught slipping, it's what us game collectors love.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

azure

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 08:06:16 am »
Thats just awful, don't give them anymore of your business. I support all my local game stores, but I wouldn't stand for that kind of practice.

kashell

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:48:36 am »
What's the name of the store, if you don't mind me asking? I can write a nasty review for them on yelp. You can PM if you're not comfortable with mentioning the name of them here.

That said, a part of me isn't surprised by this practice. Non-GS stores, as far as I can tell, operate in one of two ways.

The staff and service love video games and they are eager to help their customers. They want to establish themselves as a credible game store. They want to make sure that the prices are fair and are willing to bargain within reason. They want to talk about old and new titles. In other words, they're working at this store not only because of the paycheck, but also because they love video games and they enjoy working around them.

The other type are those that have a chip on their shoulder the size of an old Xbox controller. They think that, because they're not GS, they can get away with scamming their customers and/or being rude and arrogant. The problem with this is that the bad press ends up getting back to them.

I've dealt with both types before; never any in-between. As much as I harp on Game Stop for having annoying sales clerks, I know I can rely on them for having fair prices and I always walk away with what I want.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 10:16:05 am »
That is some BS, I would been aggressive and demanded my money back. You hadn't left the store yet, so I don't see why they couldn't refund you.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 10:28:07 am »
That is pretty terrible service. The review you wrote is fair and deserved.

I would never shop there again.

I made the same vow against gamestop when I preordered a game once and when I went to pick it up the employee said it was a good thing I preordered the game because they only received one copy. He then proceeded to go and get the came case off of the new PS3 game wall (which had already been opened and a New sticker was put on the case) and then opened up a drawer to put the game back in the case.

I stopped him and said, "That isn't my "new" game is it?"  He answered it was. I questioned him why my pre-order game was put out on display to be sold if it was the only copy they received. He said that was store policy and that it was indeed still a new game since it had never been played. I called the regional/district manager who told me that was indeed their policy. He then called around and said all stores had opened their one copy of the game so if I wanted the game I would have to buy a a new opened copy.

I have never returned to GameStop. I vow never to return.

I hate this crap. PEOPLE, NEW MEANS NEVER OPENED, IT MEANS ITS NEVER FELT FRESH AIR AFTER BEING SEALED! Ugh

silversyx

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 11:04:43 am »
That's SUPER scummy.  I'm much like Dashv, that I'm pretty reserved and not one to get mad, but I would've been pissed had they done that.    Best thing you can do is spread the word around about practices like that.  If that's what they do, it's likely they have other problems.  I mean, what were the prices on them? CIB stuff is usually a good bit more expensive than cart only items.  Did you think you were getting a good deal, so taking the games wasn't the worst that could happen, or did you basically pay boxed prices, just to get screwed over? I guess I shouldn't be thinking about that too much, neither one is some crazy expensive game, but I would've been sore about it lol A couple bucks difference is still a couple bucks.

The prices were good for box but I got ripped off for cart only prices!  :'(